Why are we trying to be the opposite of Alabama?

KnoxvilleVol13

Tennessee used to be a traditional SEC power in college football. We wore our historic home and away uniforms. We never thought gimmicks and alternate uniforms were cool. When Alabama went through their bad years in the 90s/early 2000s, they didn't start checkering the stadium and wearing corny alternate uniforms. They stayed true to their tradition and never felt the need to try to do the lame stuff everybody else in cfb did to try to be relevant. UT today seems to think wearing smokey grey uniforms and black uniforms this year isn't a slap in the face of what real Tennessee football is and stands for. We hire coaches who cant recruit in the SEC and play the opposite brand of football that wins in the SEC. I hate Alabama and hope they lose every game they play but UT throwing away all tradition to be the opposite of Alabama doesnt seem like a way to not get the breaks beat off of you year in and year out. Why Tennessee fans continue to embrace being a corny football program is mind boggling. Pretending hiring coaches that get SMOKED in recruiting and play a gimmicky brand of football translating into catching the big boys in the SEC looks stupid and we pretend it doesnt every year. Its embarrassing to the tradition of the program on all levels.

Tennessee used to be a traditional SEC power in college football. We wore our historic home and away uniforms. We never thought gimmicks and alternate uniforms were cool. When Alabama went through their bad years in the 90s/early 2000s, they didn't start checkering the stadium and wearing corny alternate uniforms. They stayed true to their tradition and never felt the need to try to do the lame stuff everybody else in cfb did to try to be relevant. UT today seems to think wearing smokey grey uniforms and black uniforms this year isn't a slap in the face of what real Tennessee football is and stands for. We hire coaches who cant recruit in the SEC and play the opposite brand of football that wins in the SEC. I hate Alabama and hope they lose every game they play but UT throwing away all tradition to be the opposite of Alabama doesnt seem like a way to not get the breaks beat off of you year in and year out. Why Tennessee fans continue to embrace being a corny football program is mind boggling. Pretending hiring coaches that get SMOKED in recruiting and play a gimmicky brand of football translating into catching the big boys in the SEC looks stupid and we pretend it doesnt every year. Its embarrassing to the tradition of the program on all levels.

How about you give the guy a chance...geez....

When Alabama went through their bad years in the 90s/early 2000s, they didn't start checkering the stadium and wearing corny alternate uniforms. They stayed true to their tradition and never felt the need to try to do the lame stuff everybody else in cfb did to try to be relevant. We hire coaches who cant recruit in the SEC and play the opposite brand of football that wins in the SEC.
Alabama hired 4 coaches that couldn't cut it post stallings-pre saban. Maybe Tennessee is doing the same thing?

This was very dramatic… Tennessee is playing modern football and this the type of stuff in NIL era that’s coming so get used to it… heuple has substance and proven Qb guru UT will play good ball Under him… you seem to have a personal vendetta Tennessee has always been an innovative program… Pruitt tried hard to respect tradition and no gimmicks and bring bama to UT and we still loss at a historically high rate… this ain’t the old days football is different and bama know that they may not do extra uniforms but they have definitely adapted to modern football… everything seems corny and bad when you are a losing program… CJH has been the most confident and well spoken coach we’ve had in a long time I believe in what he is doing at Tennessee… he doesn’t give me that used car salesman feel at all and I think the product on the field will reflect that.

Alabama hired 4 coaches that couldn't cut it post stallings-pre saban. Maybe Tennessee is doing the same thing?

Thats part of college football. When you lose Hall of fame coaches, there's usually down periods with alot of coaching turnover until the right one arrives. My point is Alabama never blew up their tradition and panic to stay relevant like UT is doing. Ive never seen Alabama disrespect their tradition. Their fans would never stand for that.. Ours embraces it and pretends its cool.

Have you tried taking two Motrin instead of one?

Tennessee has 1 national championship in the past 50+ years man. I was 9 for the last one, and now I have kids, a mortgage, career, etc. It’s not the leather helmet era anymore where you read about the outcome in the newspaper. If jersey colors that kids wear bothers you that much, you might want to find a personal hobby.

I love tradition. Love it in sports, love it in the military, love it in society.

But blindly following tradition is how you die.

Tradition can be a cavalry charge against tanks. It can be a Sopwith Camel against an F-22. It can be the single wing against more modern formations. It can be refusing to incorporate a passing game because the forward pass is just a gimmick.

Tradition when it makes sense is great. Innovation and adjusting to the circumstances when those make more sense are also great.

Forget about following Bama. Screw Bama.

Let's give Coach Heupel and AD White some room to work, shall we? They might just find a new path, a Tennessee path, that leads to championships.

Go Vols!

Aside from the uniforms and running a 4-2-5 defense, I don't really know what we are doing that isn't the same as Alabama, other than having the number 1 recruiting class.

Bama plays a spread style offense now. They still run the ball, but they throw it all over the field. I suspect that we will run the ball a lot as well.

Bama has a light show.

Bama has revamped their stadium.

Can any of us be assured this new staff will succeed? Of course not, but Pruitt tried to mimic "old-school" SEC football. He wanted to control the clock and play stingy defense. It failed in miserable fashion. Not only were the results miserable, but everything in between kickoff and the clock striking zero was also agonizing. I'm willing to give something different a shot. If it is fun to watch, that will be a positive improvement.

1) "Bama Ball" in 2021 is what we ARE doing. Notice no major program is holding onto that garbage offensive scheme from the old days. It wasn't that good. The playoff teams (Bama, Clemson, OU) are spread and fast. That's what wins and always could have if people had thought outside the box earlier.

2) The uniforms are just looks. Good lord. Did anyone care what outfit gladiators used to wear before going into battle? I swear some of y'all would enjoy a women's fashion board more.

3) Recruiting is down...hmm because we're in trouble and just won 3 games??! We're out there recruiting the big boys and CJH and Gardner and the likes know this. We're just so far from when we were good (and probably limiting our cheating atm) that it makes it tougher. Remember, Pruitt only recruited well because he was BLATANTLY cheating out his behind.

Thats part of college football. When you lose Hall of fame coaches, there's usually down periods with alot of coaching turnover until the right one arrives. My point is Alabama never blew up their tradition and panic to stay relevant like UT is doing. Ive never seen Alabama disrespect their tradition. Their fans would never stand for that.. Ours embraces it and pretends its cool.
Alabama fans sing at the top of their lungs to a song about East Tennessee. Other than a handful of times Tennessee has worn the smokey grey uniform or the 1 time they wore a black uniform I'm not sure I understand this panic you claim to "blow up" their tradition. Pruitt said he'd never have the smokey grey's and went back to black shoes. That worked out well.

Is this about the lights or the fact we have a Twitter page or what

Reactions: 08Vol and mickeyvol

Wearing alternate uniforms on occasion is "blowing up our tradition?" And when have we "disrespected our tradition?" Band still plays to The Hill, Vol Walk still happens, Vols continue to run through the T, Down the Field is still our official fight song with Rocky Top being played as well. Checkerboards get painted every home game weekend. Our band still plays our opponent's fight song during pre-game (probably the coolest freaking event in all of college football that never gets any attention). Again, other then wear alternates on occasion, where else have we blown up our traditions?

Alabama has established themselves as a contender every year. You don’t need gimmicks with that kind of success. We have been down for over a decade save for a few flashes in the pan. It’s a different time and all that stuff attracts recruits. If it means we land good kids I don’t care how many alternates we have.

In 2010 Alabama wore Nike Pro-Combat alternate uniforms that included a giant Braves ripoff A on their pants and a partial stripe. Also, their helmet stripe and jersey numbers featured houndstooth print. / thread

23506701-standard.jpg

VN Store

Back