Who was the last home grown Tennessean football hero.

Thanks....I was trying to restrain myself. You were more diplomatic than I would have been.

Some people have a hyper inflated sense of their own opinions. This whole subject is fairly subjective.

Was Trent Dilfer the best QB in the NFL when the Ravens won the superbowl in 2000? Was Trent Dilfer a good QB at all? Or did he just not lose the game for a far superior team. Andy Kelly was ok, but when compared to other TN QB's he is found lacking.

Andy Kelly Stats:
60.8% Completion; 36TD; 38INT; 33games played

Heath Shuler Stats:
61.6%; 36TD; 12INT; 33GP

Peyton Manning Stats:
62.5%; 89TD; 33INT

Casey Clausen Stats:
61.0%; 75TD; 31INt

Erik Ainge Stats:
60.6% 72TD; 35INT

Tee Martin
55.3%; 32TD: 16INT

Numbers don't lie. Andy Kelly was the worst multiple year starter in the last 25 years of TN football. Even Crompton's numbers are better!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not subjective. It's fact

Andy Kelly Stats:

Heath Shuler Stats:
61.6%; 36TD; 12INT; 33GP

Peyton Manning Stats:
62.5%; 89TD; 33INT

Casey Clausen Stats:
61.0%; 75TD; 31INt

Erik Ainge Stats:
60.6% 72TD; 35INT

Tee Martin
55.3%; 32TD: 16INT

Numbers don't lie. Andy Kelly was the worst multiple year starter in the last 25 years of TN football. Even Crompton's numbers are better!!!!!!!!!!!!

Statistics are hard to compare over time. The shape of the game changes. Obviously Kelly wasn't the most efficient of the bunch but you can't compare his # of TD's with Ainge's.

Statistics are hard to compare over time. The shape of the game changes. Obviously Kelly wasn't the most efficient of the bunch but you can't compare his # of TD's with Ainge's.

I get that. My real problem with AK is this: Dale Carter, Corey Fleming, Alvin Harper, Carl Pickens, Chris Mims, Tony Thompson, Chuck Webb. Good lord, its a veritable who's who among TN greats, and all were contemperaries of AK. If anone can make the case that AK didn't do less with more than any TN QB in the last quarter century, I will gladly admit I was wrong. All he had to do was get out of his own way and not throw more INT's than TD's and TN would have won multiple National Championships.

Andy Kelly Stats:

Even Crompton's numbers are better!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crompton
55.3% 36td 22int

it would depend on how you determine a player is better. Win/loss record, championships, etc

All he had to do was get out of his own way and not throw more INT's than TD's and TN would have won multiple National Championships.

the best QB in UT's history with loads of NFL talent couldn't do it but AK should have? Come on

andy kelly is my favorite vol from tennessee who cares bout stats and he has thrown more pro tds than anyone in history it was in the arena league but those still count as pro tds

Crompton
55.3% 36td 22int

it would depend on how you determine a player is better. Win/loss record, championships, etc

the best QB in UT's history with loads of NFL talent couldn't do it but AK should have? Come on

Peyton had talent on his teams as well but not like AK. He also had a guy in Florida who owned Fulmer but that is somthing else entirely. I guess it a 20 year grudge that makes me dislike AK so passionately. So I'll just admit I'm not entirely right, and try to exorcise my demons so I can see the good in what he accomplished.

Was Trent Dilfer the best QB in the NFL when the Ravens won the superbowl in 2000? Was Trent Dilfer a good QB at all? Or did he just not lose the game for a far superior team. Andy Kelly was ok, but when compared to other TN QB's he is found lacking.

You don't win as many games as Andy Kelly did, or play football for a living after graduation for as long as he did, unless you could play.

Seriously, how often does the best quarterback in the NFL win the Super Bowl? If that's all that mattered, Dan Marino would have won about a dozen Super Bowls. But he never won even one, because his running backs and defense sucked.

Andy Kelly had a lot of talent around him, and he led that talent to two SEC championships and three trips to major bowls. I don't care how many yards or TD passes or Citrus Bowl MVP trophies that someone else rung up, you can't name a Tennessee quarterback who has done that since. Give the man credit where it is due.

Flair%20with%20Steve%20Spurrier-medium.jpg

never tried to name a QB from TN because there aren't many. I was posting stats for the other guy

and Pennington played both d-1 and d-1aa in his career

that was my point. there has never been a great qb to come out of this state.

the tread is about homegrown talent. andy kelly and kelly holcomb are the two best to ever come from the state...besides pennington? kinda sad......they did last in the nfl for a while.....but not what i would call great qbs.:peace:

OH yeah and Steve I'm gonna beat Auburn Spurrier and Gerald Sensabaugh to keep the East TN Love

Mose Phillips- Nashville
Thomas TD Woods- Gallatin
Lester McLain- Nashville
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back