Who stays?

It depends on who the coach is.

If we hire a coach who took his team to the N.I.T. Sweet 16, then the players probably won't be impressed and may desire to leave.

If we hire a coach that has proven to be successful already, then they would likely all stay.

Our timing is real bad. We missed out on Pearl & on Tyler Summit.

Tyler Summitt? Are you implying that he's a proven and successful coach?

He can certainly ask for the release based off of a coaching change, happens all the time. Obviously UT would probably not feel obliged to grant it, and they know we'd be losing an important player, so it's a different situation than say Chievous transferring.

It's been well documented that Smith's dying father did not want him coached by Pearl when the switch was made, hence the transfer. Dad came around and told Tyler to come back to UT, where he was given a wavier to play immediately.

If u arent enrolled in classes....like all of our recruits.....they can go wherever they want with a release without sitting out a yr.

The NCAA does not consider a coaching change to be a hardship so the release will just allow hubbs to go to a new school on scholarship but still have to sit out a yr is my understanding.

LWS saying on VQ he heard last night that Hubbs is pissed about the Martin deal and is seriously considering leaving. A couple posters on there who are from West TN are reporting the same.

If he leaves then he leaves but I wouldnt want to sit out pretty much two straight seasons bc I had my feelings hurt.

Last edited:
The release just allows him to be on scholarship at his new school....He will still have to sit out a year.

This. Anyone can ask for a release to transfer. If given, they still have to sit out a year (sans medical hardships). Without a release, they may attend any school they choose but have to pay their way their own way for the first year.

In all likelihood, if Hubbs transfers, he'll have to sit a year.

If u arent enrolled in classes....like all of our recruits.....they can go wherever they want with a release without sitting out a yr.

The NCAA does not consider a coaching change to be a hardship so the release will just allow hubbs to go to a new school on scholarship but still have to sit out a yr is my understanding.

Holy ****, I know man. I acknowledged it before you or anyone else said anything about it.

Looks like I'm wrong on Cornish.

@JordanCornish5_: Good Morning America!God works in mysterious ways he closes doors to open up new ones!New chapter has begun on Rocky Top ,embrace it #GoVols

Right on.

Reactions: 2 people
As we are, players and recruits are in wait and see mode.
Make the right hire.
Then again, if you sign a coach that has a great recruiting class, things could really look different next season.

If hubbs wants to leave, I say show him the door. I would hope he would wait and see who the new coach will be first though. I had a feeling he was gonna get a rude awakening when he hit the collegiate basketball level anyways. He didn't really have a good work ethic while @ Dyer County. You have to earn your spot in the rotation at any D-1 school. It wont just be given to you.

LWS saying on VQ he heard last night that Hubbs is pissed about the Martin deal and is seriously considering leaving. A couple posters on there who are from West TN are reporting the same.

If he wants to leave let him. UT doesn't need players that commit to a coach! UT needs coaches and players that want to be a VFL, that will give their all for Tennessee.

If he wants to leave let him. UT doesn't need players that commit to a coach! UT needs coaches and players that want to be a VFL, that will give their all for Tennessee.

The majority of kids commit to the coach. If we used your logic we wouldn't have many players.

Reactions: 1 person
This is the absolute truth.

No, it's your opinion! And, we all have an opinion!

If you following recruiting at all the coach is a factor, just like the University. But, he's not the sole factor. Most players that visit consider the entire package, not just the coach.

If hubbs wants to leave, I say show him the door. I would hope he would wait and see who the new coach will be first though. I had a feeling he was gonna get a rude awakening when he hit the collegiate basketball level anyways. He didn't really have a good work ethic while @ Dyer County. You have to earn your spot in the rotation at any D-1 school. It wont just be given to you.
That has to be one of the most asinine things I have ever heard. He has and had an excellent work ethic.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not going to go back and quote everyone who addressed my posts a few pages back. I'll just say that it's my guess that most, if not all will stay and that includes Hubbs and all the signees.

assuming our '14 signees are going to be able to be granted releases, who goes and who stays?

I think austin and cornish would most likely leave due to proximity. I would think we stand a better chance at retaing cofer and turman, but cofer may have improved his stock since signing.

But, i don't know how big a factor time is. Some schools from which they had offers may have filled out their class by now, thus limiting the recruits' options.

My gut tells me we only retain one, but i could be wrong for a multitude of reasons. Maybe they can't transfer or maybe they want to be here anyway...who knows.

Also, keep in mind our next coach may bring some of their recruits here.

sky.jpg

Since this thread got bumped, I'm assuming this is all before Hubbs tweeted he loved Tennessee and was staying?

VN Store

Back