Who is your favorite basketball Vol of all time

Haven't seen many mention Tony White. He gets my vote. I had the game he scored 51(?) on video tape and watched it religiously as a kid growing up.

Haven't seen many mention Tony White. He gets my vote. I had the game he scored 51(?) on video tape and watched it religiously as a kid growing up.

51 is correct. It was against Auburn. I can still hear John Ward's voice making the call as the Wizard knocked down the record-setting free throw. I think I still have that game on tape somewhere.

51 is correct. It was against Auburn. I can still hear John Ward's voice making the call as the Wizard knocked down the record-setting free throw. I think I still have that game on tape somewhere.

I wish i still had it. I am certain I could quote nearly all those last 5 minutes of JW. How much better would TW have been if the 3 pt line been around at that time?

I would say Jajuan Smith, except he was a real ****ty lab partner - I had to do all the work. So I'm going with Lofton

Reactions: 3 people
Another old guy here;

first choice Barnyard King
second choice A.W. Davis
third choice The Wizard: Tony White
honorable mention Ellis and Houston and Grunfeld and England and Kinard and of course Lofton.

Too many ands?

Howard Wood

main_web_wood1nms.jpg

Loved listening to Ward call games when Wood, Ellis, Brooks, Bertlekamp (sp?) & Steve Ray played.

Surprised that no one has mentioned Reggie Johnson...smooth player.

Btw...looking at the pic of Wood makes me wonder how bad those guys feet must have hurt them after the games...those shoes must have been brutal. Are they Pro-Keds??

Solid, irrefutable choice. I really liked that era. Dale Ellis, Howard Wood, Michael Brooks, who was maybe as good a shooter as Lofton but who unfortunately played before the three-point shot. That was a really fun team.

Willie Burton.....Dan Fedderman....? It WAS a fun team. I'm sure I'll be corrected on who was there and when. When did Tony White show up?

Signed,
Too Lazy to look it up

I remember a game in March of 1985 (we were playing Georgia I think) and with like 7 or 8 seconds to go we were down by 5 points...I was so disgusted I turned the game on the radio off...and White and company somehow pulled that game out...I dont turn games off anymore because you never know... score was something like 86-85.....Tony was "very special"....

I can't pick just one, I loved Tony Harris because he just had so much heart and Ron Slay was just a monster

It was amazing watching JaJuan Smith and Chris Lofton

Scotty Hopson had a great and underrated junior season

Wayne Chism was just super likeable and his game was fun to watch. I loved how he became the best interior defender in the SEC his senior year.

I was a bit too young to watch Allan Houston play for the Vols, but naturally I loved him in the NBA and he was definetly my favorite player not named Michael Jordan

I can't name one without the other.

The Ernie and Bernie Show.

Ernie Grunfield and Benard King are by far my favorite.

Bernard King is the best basketball player ever to wear Tennessee Orange.

Must be an age thing.
The Ernie and Bernie Show will never be duplicated..

Bernard King and it isn't even close. Dale Ellis second and Ernie Grunfeld third

King is easily the best player in UT history and arguably in SEC history. Quickest release of all time and at times, totally unstoppable not just with a double team, but with a triple team.

VN Store

Back