Who IS this guy?

TNnative

Well known pain in the azz
When Cuonzo Martin left, and Dave Hart started doing his coaching search, everyone wanted a home run hire that could bring the Vols basketball program to heights of greatness never before realized. Rightfully so, Tennessee has one of the best arenas in the nation (and that includes NBA venues), top notch facilities, a great college town, and a supportive fan base as large as any in the country. If there is anything that every UT fan agrees about, we deserve a winning program.

Many of us hoped for a big name, highly paid coach that would result in the Tennessee national guard unit, and every cop in Knox and surrounding counties to come onto Cumberland Avenue to break up the endless celebration. Instead of dropping down the big bucks for Gregg Marshall or Shaka Smart, we end up bringing in a guy who couldn't properly pronounce Vols.

Who is this Donnie Tyndall guy? Though I am not one to sit back and watch other programs play each other in Basketball, I have watched enough to know some names. My first words when the name was announced; Dave Hart, I hope you know what the heck you are doing.

Then the defections come. The entire incoming class, then 2 returning freshmen, and Hubbs seriously considering following them.

How does Donnie Tyndall answer this? Well, today, he signs 3 guys. 3 players in a single day! How huge is that? When you consider just how late in the recruiting calendar he is having to reload right at half a roster in short order, even though he is yet to coach his first game here, I have to say this is beyond impressive.

And Dave Hart? Maybe, just maybe, you do know what the heck you are doing.

Reactions: 31 people
When Cuonzo Martin left, and Dave Hart started doing his coaching search, everyone wanted a home run hire that could bring the Vols basketball program to heights of greatness never before realized. Rightfully so, Tennessee has one of the best arenas in the nation (and that includes NBA venues), top notch facilities, a great college town, and a supportive fan base as large as any in the country. If there is anything that every UT fan agrees about, we deserve a winning program.

Many of us hoped for a big name, highly paid coach that would result in the Tennessee national guard unit, and every cop in Knox and surrounding counties to come onto Cumberland Avenue to break up the endless celebration. Instead of dropping down the big bucks for Gregg Marshall or Shaka Smart, we end up bringing in a guy who couldn't properly pronounce Vols.

Who is this Donnie Tyndall guy? Though I am not one to sit back and watch other programs play each other in Basketball, I have watched enough to know some names. My first words when the name was announced; Dave Hart, I hope you know what the heck you are doing.

Then the defections come. The entire incoming class, then 2 returning freshmen, and Hubbs seriously considering following them.

How does Donnie Tyndall answer this? Well, today, he signs 3 guys. 3 players in a single day! How huge is that? When you consider just how late in the recruiting calendar he is having to reload right at half a roster in short order, even though he is yet to coach his first game here, I have to say this is beyond impressive.

And Dave Hart? Maybe, just maybe, you do know what the heck you are doing.

Solid post. Who would have thought at this point....3 weeks in....that we would feel so good about this hire. I am frankly amazed at this point.

Reactions: 9 people
Instead of dropping down the big bucks for Gregg Marshall or Shaka Smart, we end up bringing in a guy who couldn't properly pronounce Vols.

He pronounces it correctly, just with a Michigan accent. You should hear how some Tennesseans pronounce Wolverines.

Reactions: 7 people
I thought we would only be good at basketball again if Bruce Pearl came back??

Sarcasm, but i read that many times in the last few months.

I thought we would only be good at basketball again if Bruce Pearl came back??

Sarcasm, but i read that many times in the last few months.

Also heard on the other end, that no one will want to coach here after the way Cuonzo was treated

Reactions: 4 people
He pronounces it correctly, just with a Michigan accent. You should hear how some Tennesseans pronounce Wolverines.

Not to argue for the sake of arguing, but he clearly said Vals. Maybe he just had a moment of nerves facing a larger press conference. I only pointed it out in my OP, because some fans reasoned if he wasn't smart enough to get that right, we were in trouble.

Secondly, who gives a dead rat's azz about walvarines?

Signing 3 in one day doesn't really mean much if the 3 you sign are a bunch of stiffs. These guys aren't very sought after players, but maybe they will fit DT's system and prove to be better than their collective rankings. Tyndall's doing all the right things, but we don't know yet if he can win here, just like we still don't know if Butch can win here. We all hope, but that's all it is right now, hope.

Reactions: 1 person
Signing 3 in one day doesn't really mean much if the 3 you sign are a bunch of stiffs. These guys aren't very sought after players, but maybe they will fit DT's system and prove to be better than their collective rankings. Tyndall's doing all the right things, but we don't know yet if he can win here, just like we still don't know if Butch can win here. We all hope, but that's all it is right now, hope.

What we really hope is that the "nega" posters will go away.

Agreed

VN Store

Back