Who is on the team next year?

Nobody on this team showed they can step up so I sure hope we get a transfer or two who can elevate things like Knecht did (or at least score somewhat consistently).
Agree, and people will think that's a negative take. People need to be prepared for a major step back next season.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Three if they play Matt Painter, I'm sure, because he'd whine like a little prick about how our guy is officiated differently and the refs would of course hand him his binkie -- and a dozen foul calls.
Refs suck. I'm sticking by it. They cost us the game not our bad shooting and poor defensive play in the paint.

Hate to say it but I think Jonas may take a hard look at the portal. Got benched the last two games and I’m sure Barnes wasn’t happy with the effort. When Awaka got in trouble he turned to a 19 year old green kid rather than putting Aidoo back in. I might be off but it wouldn’t shock me if he looks for a fresh start elsewhere.

Hate to say it but I think Jonas may take a hard look at the portal. Got benched the last two games and I’m sure Barnes wasn’t happy with the effort. When Awaka got in trouble he turned to a 19 year old green kid rather than putting Aidoo back in. I might be off but it wouldn’t shock me if he looks for a fresh start elsewhere.
If Barnes can find another big out there in the portal that can shoot or at least make MOST of his layups right under the basket, then I’m all for him telling Aido to look around and go get THAT guy.

PG: ZZ / Boswell
SG: Gainey / Carr
SF: Shack
PF: Phillips
C: Aidoo / Awaka / Estrella

Leaving: JJJ, Knecht, Santi
I'm sure I'll get fussed at, but I see Freddie and Jefferson going elsewhere.
1- Zakai Ziegler, Bishop Boswell

2- Freddie Dilione, Jordan Gainey

3- Cameron Carr, DJ Jefferson

4- Jamai Mashack, Cade Phillips

5- Tobe Awaka, Jonas Aidoo, JP Estrella

I think DJ transfers, but I’m including everyone until they leave. I’m guessing we will get another swingman (or 2) in the portal as well as a JJJ type stretch 4. Really need to see development from Carr and Dillione, and hope Awaka and Mashack can take another step offensively.

Aidoo developing more would be nice, but I think he is what he is. Estrella has the potential to be a really nice player, though.

Reactions: FeelVol
Aidoo doesn’t show up if other team big is top 50 so he can move on to improve elsewhere. He has too much to overcome or prove to come back. Hope he comes back and proves me wrong. He won’t

Reactions: Native Orange
1- Zakai Ziegler, Bishop Boswell

2- Freddie Dilione, Jordan Gainey

3- Cameron Carr, DJ Jefferson

4- Jamai Mashack, Cade Phillips

5- Tobe Awaka, Jonas Aidoo, JP Estrella

I think DJ transfers, but I’m including everyone until they leave. I’m guessing we will get another swingman (or 2) in the portal as well as a JJJ type stretch 4. Really need to see development from Carr and Dillione, and hope Awaka and Mashack can take another step offensively.

Aidoo developing more would be nice, but I think he is what he is. Estrella has the potential to be a really nice player, though.
A dream

PG: ZZ / Malik Mack / Boswell (RS)
SG: Chaz Lanier / Gainey
SF: Darlingstone Dubar / Carr
PF: Mashack / Phillips
C: Awaka / Aidoo / JP

Not sure on numbers or whatever, but if we have any other spots, I'd get another big. Gainey and Carr get more minutes then step into a starting role the following year imo

Wish I could share your optimism but I think we’re about to take a pretty big step back next year.

It’ll be 20 years or more before we see another talent like DK and we will miss the other seniors a lot more than people think.
Oh yeah, it’s looking like a major step back. Barring an insane pull from the transfer portal, I’m thinking more along the lines of an 8-11 seed, if not a 2019 style reboot year.

Last edited:
100% gone (four) ...
1. Knect
2.James
3.Vescovi
4.Jefferson

Maybe gone (one) ...
1. Dillione
2.Carr
3. Aidoo

... Hopefully we sign well and xfer in well.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Will be interesting to see if Barnes can assemble a team that can avoid the scoring droughts that continued to plague his program from time to time this year, that 12 point lead today that vanished in a Purdue 15-0 run was an expensive price to pay, to play tournament basketball you have to have a fairly complete team at all 5 positions, no more front line projects like Aidoo, his no show in Detroit was somewhat expected but nobody thought it would be that costly, Barnes' Achilles heel is a solid half court offensive game and the ability to develop big men at the 4 and 5,

Your big man has to at least show some heart. Do you not think Grant Williams would've tried to throw one down in Edey's face to make him foul him?

I am somewhat worried about the roster. We are counting on players to develop who have shown slow development. There are several holes that need to be filled. Maybe a couple of players are on the team that can do that next year but something tells me we need a couple through the portal.

Reactions: General Jack
A dream

PG: ZZ / Malik Mack / Boswell (RS)
SG: Chaz Lanier / Gainey
SF: Darlingstone Dubar / Carr
PF: Mashack / Phillips
C: Awaka / Aidoo / JP

Not sure on numbers or whatever, but if we have any other spots, I'd get another big. Gainey and Carr get more minutes then step into a starting role the following year imo
What’s the chances on these portal guys?

We both might be better off if he did.

PG: ZZ / Boswell
SG: Gainey / Carr
SF: Shack
PF: Phillips
C: Aidoo / Awaka / Estrella

Leaving: JJJ, Knecht, Santi
I'm sure I'll get fussed at, but I see Freddie and Jefferson going elsewhere.
Phillips at PF?? Not a chance. I'd rather get a big from the portal and slide Awaka to the 4. Phillips will need a ton more weight in this league.

We both might be better off if he did.
Well not unless we can get somebody better. He’s just so inconsistent. Sometimes he brings it and sometimes he just disappears like today. Somebody speculated he has a dose of SV’s flu but who knows.

Reactions: Pcvols80

VN Store

Back