Who is on the team next year?

Going to be a rough year... offensively. They used to say defense wins games, but not so much anymore.

People are going to be surprised by this team next season

Still returning a lot of good experienced players

Aso, three open scholarships to use I believe so that's huge
We will be good if we get a couple of players who can play defense and offense in the paint. If we had that this year, we would be playing in the finals next week.

Going to be a reset year. By reset, I don’t mean rebuild. Just going to be a much different looking team with DK, SV, and JJJ moving on. Who do we get from the portal? Who on the current roster goes into the portal? I suspect we will have a couple of guys hit the portal.

Get the right guys from the portal and we can still have a really nice team next season, though. As good as this season’s team? Percentages would suggest probably not. This team was arguably the best team we’ve ever had. At worst, it was one of the top three best teams. Not likely we will find another DK in the portal. We will have to recreate him through a couple of guys.

Basilio’s self described ‘insider’ gossip information:

From memory and not necessarily his exact words…

Knecht had the highest NIL deal.

Dilione had the 2nd highest NIL deal.

Aidoo was being recruited by Kansas and UNC last year and TN decided to match their offers.

JJJ, Nkamhoua, and Uros were told to move on.

For 2024-25 retaining Carr and Mashack will be high priorities.

Estrella, Carr, and Phillips are very well liked by the staff - their potential to do very well in the program that is.

Keeping Dilione and Jefferson won’t be high priorities. Possibly Aidoo either. TB couldn’t spit out DJ Jefferson’s name and called him the guy that dunks in the we all fly thing.

Letting Dilione walk will free up a lot of “cap money”. He wasn’t able to mentally pick up the defense.

Lanier is being pursued hard but might instead jump to the NBA.

I don’t think anybody leaves until we get a transfer first. Also, I can’t see anybody leaving on their own because how far this squad got and more players can get NIL deals.
With the success of DK, I think we end up getting another mega transfer.
If true about Dillione then I think we just have to “eat it” .

Nobody on this team showed they can step up so I sure hope we get a transfer or two who can elevate things like Knecht did (or at least score somewhat consistently).

Yes. We need 1) another reliable pure scorer who’s good for 15 PPG minimum, and 2) a 7’4”, 300-lb Asian-American who has a couple of spin moves down low.

Not to be mean, but I just don't think Dillione fits this system well. When I see him on the court, I see shades of Edwards.... just looks kinda lost.

I think in order for this team to be great next season, you find three guys that can score the ball when they touch it. This team was great this year, however, we did see a few times where Knecht just had to do it all by himself. A batman needs a robin.

My impression is both Aidoo and ZZZ weren’t their normal selves and I won’t be surprised if it comes out this week. Also, I think Mashack was hampered by a sore back due the fall he took when he blocked Creighton’s center Friday.

These are giant leaps to explain bad games with no evidence.

Oh, and for the posters that say Mashack start at the 4 predictions....ain't happening unless we will be one of the smaller teams in the league. He has the size of a stretch 3 at best. It makes me wonder how knowledgeable people are about basketball.

We lose DK and JJJ for sure I think. Not sure who else, hopefully everyone comes back and we get another stud in the portal.

Edit. Totally forgot Santi is gone. Been such a non factor this year I totally forgot about him leaving.
If you think Vescovi's been a non-factor this season then you didn't pay attention.

Hate to say it but I think Jonas may take a hard look at the portal. Got benched the last two games and I’m sure Barnes wasn’t happy with the effort. When Awaka got in trouble he turned to a 19 year old green kid rather than putting Aidoo back in. I might be off but it wouldn’t shock me if he looks for a fresh start elsewhere.
He was shooting poorly and that green kid is a lot stouter and better able to push back on Godzilla. I suppose he'll understand and accept it and move forward.

These are giant leaps to explain bad games with no evidence.

Oh, and for the posters that say Mashack start at the 4 predictions....ain't happening unless we will be one of the smaller teams in the league. He has the size of a stretch 3 at best. It makes me wonder how knowledgeable people are about basketball.
He played the 4 a ton this year, subbing for JJJ. In fact, he might’ve played more minutes there than any other spot. Last year, he shut down Brandon Miller (a 4).

He may not start there and it may not be ideal. It would be better to land a JJJ type in the portal to start there because Awaka starting there isn’t ideal for this system either. But to act like JM is “a stretch 3 at best” while suggesting that those who put him at the 4 don't know basketball is ironic.

Reactions: sami
Aidoo did some good things this year and he had some bad games mostly when he face a big that's real aggressive 7 footers. I would get him with a personal strength and conditioning trainer starting now till Fall with the goal to put on 20 pounds of bulk and muscle. Some S&C should give him a NIL deal with a before and After picture for ads and go to work ASAP. He could be a force with his finessee with a bit of brut. His age should be getting to where he could start to fill out and not burn as many calories as he was while he was adding height.

Last edited:
I love Awaka, but the problem with him at the 4 is that as of now he offers no perimeter game whatsoever. If he can develop a consistent 12-15 foot jumper and a few post moves, different story. I love how that kid competes.the
You would think with the drastic improvement he made on free throws, he could make the same improvement on his range

You would think with the drastic improvement he made on free throws, he could make the same improvement on his range

Oh, absolutely. He's got a nice turnaround jumper in the post with a soft touch. An off season of serious work on expanding his range to 12-15 feet as well as with his footwork, and Tobe could be a force at the 4.

Reactions: walkenvol
I think Tennessee will be good next year but we have a lot of leadership to replace so I find it hard to think we can be as good as we were this year but you never know.

Bet we go more traditional lineup next year with both Aidoo and Awaka starting.
Just don't see it. It's gonna take some major improvement by one of those guys. Neither has any shooting range or a good floor game to play a four in modern offenses. I mean we will see it some but Barnes was very reluctant to play them together this season for the same reason.

VN Store

Back