Who Does Michigan Hire?

They have a history of raiding WVU (John Beilein & Rich Rod) so I'll go with Oliver Luck as AD (is on the committee) and Dana Holgorsen.

They have a history of raiding WVU (John Beilein & Rich Rod) so I'll go with Oliver Luck as AD (is on the committee) and Dana Holgorsen.

Anyone with a connection to Rich Rodriguez would probably be out of the running from the start.

I think Butch is #2 on their Radar.

Michigan will have the same troubles UT had in 2012 with the chaos going on in the Michigan athletic department. I think Michigan will go to the B and C list when the big names turn them down. Butch would be on their B list I believe.

Reactions: 1 person
If UT finishes 7-5 with a bowl, I can guarantee you he'd be in their top 10.

Take the fact away that he grew up there, which only matters to him and not the university, you would put him as a top ten choice for them? I respectively disagree

I love Butch but he isn't in their top 10

Scout.com - College and High School Football, Basketball, Recruiting, NFL, and MLB Front Page

In this edition of the Michigan Coaching Hot List we begin handicapping the future of Michigan's head coaching position. Many pundits have suggested it's already over for incumbent Brady Hoke, but is it really? Are the Wolverines' chances of landing Jim Harbaugh as high as some think? And is the name of Tennessee head man Butch Jones one to watch if things open up in Ann Arbor??

I also found it interesting, that in the place you sited, that they pointed you don't usually get that strong of a denial. My position isn't that butch wouldn't be interested but rather he is too far down Michigan's list. We are all speculating. I just don't see Butch winning the fan and alumni base with his hire. Hell he didn't here. It is going to be interesting.

I also found it interesting, that in the place you sited, that they pointed you don't usually get that strong of a denial. My position isn't that butch wouldn't be interested but rather he is too far down Michigan's list. We are all speculating. I just don't see Butch winning the fan and alumni base with his hire. Hell he didn't here. It is going to be interesting.

It's amazing how a few big wins can get you a job. Look at Andy Enfield, head basketball coach at USC. It's all about timing.

It's amazing how a few big wins can get you a job. Look at Andy Enfield, head basketball coach at USC. It's all about timing.

The only "big" win Butch has had here is vs USCe last year. UK, Mizzou and Vandy are the only teams we have left to play and none of them would be considered "big" wins. Neither is this year's win vs USCe. They're all good for our young program but would not be considered "big" by anyone else.

UM will give serious looks to the Harbaugh brothers, Les Miles and Dan Mullen. UM is not looking for someone to rebuild their program in 3-4 years. They want someone to get them back on top now.

Last edited:
The only "big" win Butch has had here is vs USCe last year. USCE, UK, Mizzou and Vandy are the only teams we have left to play and none of them would be considered "big" wins either. They'd be good for our young program but would not be considered "big" by anyone else.

You are absolutely right, but ending 7-5 and headed to a bowl might look as if he turned things around.

You are absolutely right, but ending 7-5 and headed to a bowl might look as if he turned things around.

Looking as if he had turned things around would've been wins against UGA and UF. UK and Vandy are considered the bottom-feeders of the SEC and wins against those two are not considered "big" by anyone who is not a Vols fan.

Take the fact away that he grew up there, which only matters to him and not the university, you would put him as a top ten choice for them? I respectively disagree

I see Michigan in the same situation we were in when UT hired Butch. We had the facilities, budget, and passionate fans. They, like us, need someone who can energize the fans and recruit the top talent back to Michigan. Butch has proven, without a doubt, he can do that. At 7-5, possibly 8-5 in year 2, I'd think he'd have to be on the list. An 8-5 year 2 record in the SEC is a 10-2 Big 10 Record.

The only "big" win Butch has had here is vs USCe last year. UK, Mizzou and Vandy are the only teams we have left to play and none of them would be considered "big" wins. Neither is this year's win vs USCe. They're all good for our young program but would not be considered "big" by anyone else.

UM will give serious looks to the Harbaugh brothers, Les Miles and Dan Mullen. UM is not looking for someone to rebuild their program in 3-4 years. They want someone to get them back on top now.

Funny thing is both Harbaughs could be available soon. I could really see Les leaving this yr. The west is brutal. Way easier path to playoffs in Rust Belt.

Funny thing is both Harbaughs could be available soon. I could really see Les leaving this yr. The west is brutal. Way easier path to playoffs in Rust Belt.

I agree!!! The only difference would be the recruiting, Louisiana is stock piled every year with talent. Michigan really isn't but I'd love to see UM start killing Ohio St on a yearly basis...Urban would definitely have some health issues

I agree!!! The only difference would be the recruiting, Louisiana is stock piled every year with talent. Michigan really isn't but I'd love to see UM start killing Ohio St on a yearly basis...Urban would definitely have some health issues

Definitely. Detroit does produce some good D1 talent. Lansing put out some solid OL over the years.

If UM has any shot at a Harbaugh it's Jim. John isn't going anywhere unless something drastic happens. Les Miles is not going to leave the big leagues for the minors. Yes the west is tough, but it's not likely to stay that way. Also Les is in his 60's, would he really want to rebuild a dumpster fire like UM? Doubtful. Butch ain't going to UM.

With an interim AD at the helm, where does Michigan stand? - ESPN

1&2 - the harbaughs
3. Les miles
4. Butch Jones
Tennessee was a dark, desperate place when Jones took over last season, way worse than the current state of things at Michigan. Jones’ consistent positivity has started to break through, whether in recruiting or having the Volunteers on the brink of their first bowl bid since 2010. Program-building -- and rebuilding -- should be an important piece of this hire. Jones is proving he knows what he’s doing in that area. On top of that, he’s from Saugatuck, Michigan, went to Ferris State in Big Rapids, and leveraged Central Michigan as a career steppingstone. (He took the Chippewas to three bowl games in three seasons.) Would he leave the Vols after seemingly starting an ascent there? Those close to Jones aren’t sure. He might not even know the answer to that. But Michigan would surely be appealing.

Anybody but Butch! I think it'll be Jim McElwain or Todd Graham. Jim Harbaugh will stay in the NFL and i hope he coaches the Falcons in 2015.

Reactions: 2 people
In the dimension of the absurd, I can't unequivocally say Butch would not leave for Big House, but I doubt lightening strikes twice (given what went with Kiffin to USC after less than 13 months on the job).

Simply because a person is from there doesn't mean a whole lot, some of the greatest coaches have no ties to the schools/teams they excelled: Nick Saban, Les Miles, Mack Brown, Jimbo Fisher, Mark Richt, Dan Mullen, Bobby Bowden, Gus Malzahn, Bob Stoops, and Tommy Tuberville just to name a few. There are very few Phil Fulmers and Bear Bryants contrary to what most people think. Do you really think that at no point in time the home schools or state schools didn't make a push to land the above mentioned coaches? Yet, they were unsuccessful and in some cases on multiple occasions. Those who go into the coaching profession know that it will take them to many places for long periods of time.

Butch has a serious shot at making a run at least at an SEC Championship and very probably a birth in the playoffs by 2016. He could even surprise a lot of folks in 2015. No way he gives that up for yet another rebuilding job. After 2016, if he isn't happy here, then he can write his own ticket to anywhere.

VN Store

Back