Who do we want?

said Oregon pick and rolled them to death
Creighton had no answer for number five breaking down there guards and getting to the paint. It was so bad, that Oregon would literally burn 10 to 12 seconds off the shot clock before breaking down the defense. Oregon doesn't have any depth and they were getting very tired late.

ZZ will have a field day with that.

I wanted Oregon in this because they are two dimensional offensively. Creighton looks multi-dimensional, but I will still believe our defense is way better than theirs at least on the perimeter. They have a really good shot blocker.

Last edited:
Whichever team is hitting the 3s will win
Not necessarily. We have beaten teams shooting efficient from 3. Kentucky, NC State, Georgia, and Auburn all shot over 40% from 3 in our wins against them.

But, yes we need to shoot better as 12% won't get it done. But I think we can also stifle them and force them to take less overall shots, even if they are making them

We get Creighton but I caught myself wondering the same. Creighton can hit from all over the floor. Tons of weapons, plays good defense, experienced, tough team. But March is all about peaking at the right time so I don't think anyone wants to play a team like Oregon or NC State, who are firing on all cylinders and just bulldozed thru their conference tournaments and keep winning. Their guard is amazing and their center would eat our guys up.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Not necessarily. We have beaten teams shooting efficient from 3. Kentucky, NC State, Georgia, and Auburn all shot over 40% from 3 in our wins against them.

But, yes we need to shoot better as 12% won't get it done. But I think we can also stifle them and force them to take less overall shots, even if they are making them

I tend to believe that we win just about any game where Aidoo plays well, but I think this game especially fits that mold. If he can contain Kalkbrenner, then that will enable our guards to play more pressure defense in Creighton’s guards and run them off the three point line. So again, Aidoo is the X factor. If he plays well, particularly on the defensive end, I like our chances. Perhaps that’s an overly simplistic view, but that’s my stance.

The Ducks or the Bluejays?

Creighton is the Big East version of Alabama in that they live on the three point line and Tennessee and Aidoo will need to keep a close eye on number 55 for Creighton who can pass and shoot the three as well as rebound and even brings the ball up court.

The Oregon center will be a high NBA draft pick as well as Couisnard.

Those two almost won the game for Oregon.

Well they were a sub .500 conference team and we shot 13 percent from 3 and still beat them. Not sure how much easier of a team you expect in a round of 32 Ncaa game. We haven’t lost to a team as bad as them all year and we won’t play a worse team than them going forward.
They played great defense. You go out of your way to belittle this team, most of the time not having the first damn clue as to what you're talking about.

Have we played against a center that potentially stretches the defense like this? I don't recall it right away. My fear is that Aidoo is pulled away from the basket and we lose our rim protection. They will take and make a lot of threes but if we shoot decent I still like our chances.

They played great defense. You go out of your way to belittle this team, most of the time not having the first damn clue as to what you're talking about.
That's the reward for having a great regular season. You get an easier path. These days an easier path is only a slightly easier path. Teams like Texas are very capable.

We are cooked next weekend.

Creighton has the size, conditioning, coaching, and shooting that is a nightmare for our lineup.
Yep. If we could count on JJJ and Vescovi, I'd give us a punchers chance. With those two being so up and down in terms of production plus the rest of the team appearing to be in a bit of a shooting slump, I expect a pretty solid beating at the hands of that Creighton team. We have Knecht, but they have the complete lineup and some length to get into Aidoos head. With how things turned out with Vescovi and to a degree with JJJ, I think, if we're being honest and remove the orange tinted glasses, the sweet 16 is about right as our ceiling. For me, everything from this point forward would be gravy and exceeding expectations and to a degree our talent level.

Yep. If we could count on JJJ and Vescovi, I'd give us a punchers chance. With those two being so up and down in terms of production plus the rest of the team appearing to be in a bit of a shooting slump, I expect a pretty solid beating at the hands of that Creighton team. We have Knecht, but they have the complete lineup and some length to get into Aidoos head. With how things turned out with Vescovi and to a degree with JJJ, I think, if we're being honest and remove the orange tinted glasses, the sweet 16 is about right as our ceiling. For me, everything from this point forward would be gravy and exceeding expectations and to a degree our talent level.

Considering that you also said you wouldn’t be shocked if we lose to St. Peter’s, I’d say my confidence going into this game against Creighton just went up. If I’d never watched team play and had only your takes to go on, I would think we were an NIT team.

What is this? Sure Creighton can beat us but they aren't some elite team. 2 losses to Providence, loss to Butler and Villanova on their home floor, double digit beatdowns by Colorado State, St. Johns, and UNLV. We play our game and we win. Let's go. And Gonzaga is going to beat Purdue.
I bet CRB has already reached out to have a meeting/discussion with Coach English.

That's the reward for having a great regular season. You get an easier path. These days an easier path is only a slightly easier path. Teams like Texas are very capable.
That wasn't his context and you know it. You do the same thing but are a little more subtle about it

Creighton lost twice to Providence. Not sure Kim English runs exact same defense and schemes since he left but don't you think he maybe figured something out and Barnes won't be on the phone getting intel.

Vols have played multiple top 10 offenses this year and was never blown out and won multiple games. Vols very much have a chance and can win the game. If they shoot 3-25 from 3 again, yeah probably going to lose to Creighton. But apart from teams with elite centers, the teams these vols have struggled with are hyper physical slow paced teams I.e. TAM, USC, Miss St. They haven't struggled against high scoring efficient offenses. It will be tough but I think this team has a decent chance to win.

Last edited:
Oregon is definitely the more physical team but Creighton has legitimate scorers along with a 7’1
center who averages 17 points a game.

We struggled against good post players this year.
Creighton despite their big man is a better match up for us. IMHO. Oregon is seriously physical and our worse losses came against those types of teams.

Creighton despite their big man is a better match up for us. IMHO. Oregon is seriously physical and our worse losses came against those types of teams.

Two guys took 53 of Oregon’s 77 shots and had 60 of their 73 points. Give me the two man team all day over a team like Creighton that has several dynamic scorers.

Give Barnes and staff a week to prepare for crayon and I like the Vols chances most definitely.

Agree Aidoo isnt a post up guy. Awaka is. Their big guy can stay grounded and put 2 hands up. If Aidoo can hit 3 or 4 of those 12 footers that are one of his strengths that big fella wont be out there. Had he drawn Oregon their athletic big would have followed Jonas out there. I like the matchup comparatively. We know at this stage every team will present problems. I think Creightons is straight forward. I do feel it cpuld be a blessing in event we advance and so does Purdue that our bigs will have recent experience of how to handle a huge space taker and lets face it while Edey is a much better player he will step out even less than Kalkbrenner or however you say Creightons big mans name. So Aidoo can even shoot from 9 to 10 feet.

VN Store

Back