While I Was Out, I Became a Republican...

I taught at UT for nearly a decade and taught out here for a year, before deciding to take a break. I'm currently contemplating a career change, as there just aren't enough good, full-time teaching positions in higher education anymore. Getting one is also largely a popularity contest and a "who do you know?" matter, and I don't care about either of those two things, so maybe it just isn't for me. We'll see. I haven't dropped out of the profession definitely yet.

Did you read the Harbrace Handbook when you taught at UT?

If you do end up deciding to get back into academia, don't tell them you're a Republican. If you want the job.

Well, I would never say that in an interview, nor is it legal for them to ask (although I'm sure some candidates have been somewhere). Unprompted, politics are irrelevant for me in such a situation. I'd have no problem with telling them my thoughts on certain issues and my affiliations later, as colleagues, but I would never do so unsolicited. One problem many academics have is that they do such things unsolicited. However, I think many people do. The only difference is that academics have a much more public platform. I can't tell you how many times, as either a grocery store employee or a random customer someplace, that some individual has just come up to me spouting some political or religious opinions like I these are also mine. One of the worst was when I was in high school, working at a grocery store, and an older man came up to me, talking about how he "bought worms from those ******s down in Badin" to do his fishing with, and this right within earshot of black patrons.

Sorry for the rant. I guess I'm just trying to say that academics are essentially unexceptional; it's just that when they do such things, it's held under greater scrutiny. Rightfully so, though, as the academy is supposed to be unbiased and open.

I grew up a Republican and a conservative. There is much to be said for such a perspective, and it is one worth upholding. When you consider that the American population is turning "net-Democrat" by demographic reality, it is important that we offer a legitimate conservative alternative, not that I always agree with it or ever will fully. Listen, I don't want an American nation that is "liberal," but I do want one that is moving forward and one that isn't trying to "make it great again," like it's a pair of acid wash jeans that needs a good revision.

Truth be told, I registered Republican because of Donald Trump. It is absolutely crucial that conservatives - so valuable to countering liberal extremes (like out-of-control social spending, overly regulated markets, limited social freedoms, and overly-racial/ethnic rhetoric, for godssakes!) - never go down this route of ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, and abject fiscal irresponsibility ever again.

You have become what you claim to hate, and I'm here to help you.

My pledge as a Republican voter is to never let this nation down again. You can keep your Trumps, your Clintons, your losers. You can keep your labor Democrat Trumps, your Neocon Hillarys - your mix-match world where up is down and down is up. I'm not going to have a part in any of it. You can keep your Trump 40 billion dollar national debts, your Clinton "extreme negligence," your party over country. I'm tired of it all. I'm having no part in it. And despite this nation's inevitable demographic shifts, ones that do in no way favor Republicans or conservatives in the long run, I promise to uphold the need for men and women who are willing to stand by the Constitution and by the principles of responsibility and openness - perhaps the two most important principles of our nation's history - that I think are best embodied in a conservatism with a mind to the future. And I promise to stand by these principles as these apply to all men and women, whether they be white, black, brown, or even blue.

And, no, libertarians, I'm not a utopianist, so don't even try, although I may very well vote for your candidate this time around at least.

It didn't take long to run back after a little prodding. Enjoy the silage

Reactions: 2 people
It didn't take long to run back after a little prodding. Enjoy the silage

Let me speak in a language you can better comprehend:

"Looney MOOOOONEY is struggling here, folks. I mean, he's having a hard time. #MakeAmericaGreatAgain"

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back