While I Was Out, I Became a Republican...

I am not even sure what I read there. Some parts were gungho Trump, others was breaking him down. can't help but be confused by the word salad I just read.

I'm not sure what was confusing about it. I basically just said that I became a Republican because of two factors: 1) our nation is demographically becoming Democrat (and I don't want a one-party system, because dissent is good) and 2) it's ludicrous to me that the self-proclaimed party of "responsibility" and the Constitution nominated the most authoritarian, most anti-Constitution (minus the 2nd Amendment) major party candidate perhaps in our nation's history. I joined the Republican Party, because it's a thing worth saving and its voters clearly need help. They don't have a freaking clue what in the hell they're about right now. Eight years of whining about Obama's dictatorial character only to respond by immediately voting for a guy whose authoritarianism makes Obama look like Thomas Jefferson.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm guessing a switch in his meds.

I have greatly valued this board in the past, because it has exposed me to a lot of issues - from a lot of different perspectives - that I would otherwise have been ignorant of. As a result, it has changed me, generally for the positive, I would say. However, I got tired of the racism, sexism, and general mouthbreatherism that have piqued here these past few months or so in particular. I needed a break.

But, most of all, I needed a break from this board because there's a certain cohort of loudmouth whiners who constantly hijack nearly every thread, making it impossible to have a good, rational discussion. This board is probably 5% political/social issues discussion and 95% sniveling. This is why posters like Huff and volnbham are very valuable assets around here: they actually come here to discuss issues, rather than to masturbate.

Reactions: 2 people
This is why posters like Huff and volnbham are very valuable assets around here: they actually come here to discuss issues, rather than to masturbate.

I'm pretty sure Huff still comes here to masturbate.

Reactions: 5 people
giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 people
But, most of all, I needed a break from this board because there's a certain cohort of loudmouth whiners who constantly hijack nearly every thread, making it impossible to have a good, rational discussion.

Hold on, the only threads that we like to hijack are the ones started by LG.

Reactions: 1 person
I have greatly valued this board in the past, because it has exposed me to a lot of issues - from a lot of different perspectives - that I would otherwise have been ignorant of. As a result, it has changed me, generally for the positive, I would say. However, I got tired of the racism, sexism, and general mouthbreatherism that have piqued here these past few months or so in particular. I needed a break.

But, most of all, I needed a break from this board because there's a certain cohort of loudmouth whiners who constantly hijack nearly every thread, making it impossible to have a good, rational discussion. This board is probably 5% political/social issues discussion and 95% sniveling. This is why posters like Huff and volnbham are very valuable assets around here: they actually come here to discuss issues, rather than to masturbate.

Are you actually in academia? Just curious

Are you actually in academia? Just curious

I taught at UT for nearly a decade and taught out here for a year, before deciding to take a break. I'm currently contemplating a career change, as there just aren't enough good, full-time teaching positions in higher education anymore. Getting one is also largely a popularity contest and a "who do you know?" matter, and I don't care about either of those two things, so maybe it just isn't for me. We'll see. I haven't dropped out of the profession definitely yet.

I taught at UT for nearly a decade and taught out here for a year, before deciding to take a break. I'm currently contemplating a career change, as there just aren't enough good, full-time teaching positions in higher education anymore. Getting one is also largely a popularity contest and a "who do you know?" matter, and I don't care about either of those two things, so maybe it just isn't for me. We'll see. I haven't dropped out of the profession definitely yet.

If you do end up deciding to get back into academia, don't tell them you're a Republican. If you want the job.

VN Store

Back