Which Particular Player Do You Have The Highest Expectations For?

On Offense:

Kelly - I want to see him hit that thousand yard mark before game 10
Ethan Wolfe - I think he can have a breakout year with Scott at the OC helm
Tyler Byrd - There were glimpses of what he could become. With a year under his belt, I think he could become a deadly weapon

Defense:

TK Jr - I would love to see a breakout year as a lockdown defender that gets him drafted in the first four rounds
Warrior - Coming out mean like Sutton used to do
The Shy/K-Mac pairing on the DL - Get mean and start wrecking fools
Dillon Bates - Love his heart, hope he can perform at a higher level

Special Teams:

Medley - Seriously, if he hits the upright one more time...
Evan Berry - Is it too much to ask for at least six kick returns for a TD? More?

If Dormady wins the qb battle then the offense will be much more pass oriented.

Agreed, but with a new QB, new OC and no proven 2nd wr I don't see how Jennings can touch what Malone did last year.

People make light of him, but it was one of the top 10...maybe top 5 seasons a WR has had in UT history.

Agreed, but with a new QB, new OC and no proven 2nd wr I don't see how Jennings can touch what Malone did last year.

People make light of him, but it was one of the top 10...maybe top 5 seasons a WR has had in UT history.

I dunno, man, we didn't get the nickname WR-U without good reason. Here are five guys frequently listed as among the best in our history--you'll notice their numbers are a lot like Josh's (972 yds, 11 TDs in '16 season):
  • Robert Meachem - close to 1,300 yards and 11 TDs in the '06 season.
  • Joey Kent - two 1,000+ yard seasons ('95 and '96) totalling 16 TDs as Peyton's #1 target.
  • Tim McGee - got close to 1,000 yards in two different seasons.
  • Peerless Price - 920 yards and 10 TDs in the '98 championship season.
  • Carl Pickens - 850+ yards in both his final two seasons ('90 and '91).
And that doesn't even get into Willie Gault ... Larry Seivers ... Marcus Nash ... Cedric Wilson ... the list is pretty long.

I like Josh, think the world of him, think he belongs in the conversation, but the competition is very fierce at that top end for "five best seasons" in our history. You could be right. He might be in the top 5. I'd be more comfortable saying top 10 seasons, I think. But you could be right.

Last edited:
I dunno, man, we didn't get the nickname WR-U without good reason. Here are five guys frequently listed as among the best in our history--you'll notice their numbers are a lot like Josh's (972 yds, 11 TDs in '16 season):
  • Joey Kent - two 1,000+ yard seasons ('95 and '96) totalling 16 TDs as Peyton's #1 target.
And that doesn't even get into Willie Gault ... Larry Seivers ... Marcus Nash ... Cedric Wilson ... the list is pretty long.

I like Josh, think the world of him, think he belongs in the conversation, but the competition is very fierce at that top end for "five best seasons" in our history. You could be right. He might be in the top 5. I'd be more comfortable saying top 10 seasons, I think. But you could be right.

It was the 10th best yardage season ever and tied for the 3rd most touchdowns ever. Not sure about YPC...may have been best ever? Over 19 YPC which is insane

Reactions: 1 person
It was the 10th best yardage season ever and tied for the 3rd most touchdowns ever. Not sure about YPC...may have been best ever? Over 19 YPC which is insane

Yeah, that would be fun to see, a comparison of the YPC averages across all the top WRs.

You could be right, he might be right up there.

Unfortunately for Malone, him having a really good season didn't fit the too-common narrative that Josh Dobbs can't pass downfield. A lot of 'experts' (and a lot of our very own fans) conveniently turned a blind eye to the significantly good passing game we did have, because of their faith in that argument.

Anthony Miller, Alvin Harper, Donte Stallworth, and Denarious Moore maybe these guys didn't have the best stats at UT but proved their worth in the NFL. Now, Kelly Washington did have the stats at UT and had a decent career in the NFL, also. Surprisingly, Washington even dialed down the ego and played mostly special teams for the Patriots. Despite the UT stats, and they were good, Peerless Price was the greatest big game WR in the history of UT football.

Anthony Miller, Alvin Harper, Donte Stallworth, and Denarious Moore maybe these guys didn't have the best stats at UT but proved their worth in the NFL. Now, Kelly Washington did have the stats at UT and had a decent career in the NFL, also. Surprisingly, Washington even dialed down the ego and played mostly special teams for the Patriots. Despite the UT stats, and they were good, Peerless Price was the greatest big game WR in the history of UT football.

Dog, I agree 100% about Peerless. He was so unbelievably clutch when needed, the young man musta had ice water in his veins.

For me it's not so much player expectations as I would like to see 2 units step it up this year.
First is the oline. I will be nice if they can find a rotation that works and stick with it. Them being cohesive and executing the job will go a long way in showing what this offense can do.
The other unit is the dline. Like a lot of people on here say,I hope they can stay healthy and find a rotation that will play all year and get the job done.

1. Kmac
-when he was healthy he has been inconsistent
2. Martin
-talent is there but again another inconsistent player. Seems to disappear
3. Byrd
-I want to see him use that crazy elusiveness and speed by being a playmaker.
4. Kongbo
-ready for him to use his freakish athleticism and raw ability to become a game changer
5. John Kelly
The RB load is on him now and he has the ability to be a 1250+ rusher.

Dog, I agree 100% about Peerless. He was so unbelievably clutch when needed, the young man musta had ice water in his veins.

If JJ has a strong year and a couple more clutch plays then he may take over Peerless. He will always have the bomb in the NC though.

If JJ has a strong year and a couple more clutch plays then he may take over Peerless. He will always have the bomb in the NC though.

I could see it, man. Really hoping JJ has a dozen highlight-reel, "o-m-g-did-we-really-just-see-that" plays this season.

Like single-handedly giving Tabor the lifetime nickname "toast".

Like the Dobbnail boot catch.

Like some of his blocking assignments that almost (but not quite) turn into fist fights because he's so all over the dude.

He's sure fun to watch. :)

Nigel Warrior & Darrell Taylor .

Agree with both these two. Taylor will be a beast.

Honorable mention, been seeing Cortez McDowell going to his summer class. I think he could have a good year. Passing him in person hard to believe he was a FS when he came here.

Kyle Phillips. I expect him to be an All American. Hoke should have him focused and ready to dominate. The Dline as a whole will be one of the best.

OK, nobody mentioned him so far. Therefore I am going to have a D4H moment and predict:

SEC Freshman of the Year Ty Chandler.

VN Store

Back