Where is Wiggins?

I actually think Wiggins will be great. He's got really good instincts and is a big time ball hawk.

Here is some of his highlights from UGA and Louisville. He's got a nice pick off of Deshaun Watson last season in that game.

https://youtu.be/Hy7cHW9CrQs

Those are some solid highlights! I have to think if he's not starting (and is healthy) that means we have legit cornerbacks, and he'd still be in the rotation heavily anyway.

Go Vols!!!

Freak. I've said since he arrived that he's not better than anyone we had already. I think he was brought in to compete and provide solid depth and an opportunity to win the job. Everyone thinks because he started at Louisville that he was some kind of all american. I've thought for a few years that he's overrated.

:thud:

Tennesseeduke

He also started at Georgia as a true Freshman (and led the team in INTs) - that tells me the guy is talented.

Also, realize he was battling injuries last season (and only played 8 games), so it's probably the least representative of his potential.

GBO!

We're past the halfway point of preseason practice and and Shaq Wiggins seems to be a non factor not getting much hype at corner to this point. In fact, it sounds like a true freshman, Shawn Shamburger, is getting more praise from the coaches.

Am I correct in remembering that Wiggins counts against the 2018 class?

Someone tell me I'm overreacting. Am I reading too much into a few comments?

You make it sound like he was an all American at Louisville. He's just another player. He has experience and he will help the team out for sure. But he's not Charles Woodson.

Voln fans were drooling on themselves when he came here LOL. He hasn't even gotten on the field yet honestly. Like twice in practice. Vol fans are truely insane ... can't say I'm any different though. If the freshmen beat him out you know what kind of team we have.

You make it sound like he was an all American at Louisville. He's just another player. He has experience and he will help the team out for sure. But he's not Charles Woodson.

How did I make him sound like an All-American at Louisville? :dunno:

I just thought we'd hear something about his ability or leadership as a fifth year player, especially considering we're relatively unproven at corner. And since Moseley has been out with the shoulder issue.

Butch talked about the secondary the other day, and if I remember he mentioned literally everyone BUT Wiggins.

Reactions: 1 person
Cut the guy some slack. Even the best of us give in to the nega force from time to time! Freak will balance the force and start pumping big ol rays of orange sunshine soon enough!

I'm not saying this is the year, but this is the year we have turned the corner. Better jump on in the next couple of years.

Malik was one of my favorite Vols, but he said "most of the time," which is true.

No, with all due respect, I don't think it is true. We don't take all that many JUCOs and transfers, and I think there have been more Owen Williams successes than Blair disappointments. I just have to shake my head that he used Justin Martin as an example of one not working out; last I heard, he was probable to start for us.

No, with all due respect, I don't think it is true. We don't take all that many JUCOs and transfers, and I think there have been more Owen Williams successes than Blair disappointments. I just have to shake my head that he used Justin Martin as an example of one not working out; last I heard, he was probable to start for us.

In the Butch Jones era, here are our JUCO transfers....

2013-
Jonathan Johnson
Riyahd Jones
Woody Quinn

2014-
Von Pearson
Dontavius Blair
Chris Weatherd
Owen Williams

2015-
Alvin Kamara
Justin Martin

2016-
Jonathan Kongbo
Alexis Johnson
Jeff George
DJ Henderson

That's 13 JUCOs, and by count only 3, maybe 4 (Pearson, Williams, Kamara and maybe Martin) have done much of anything here. Kamara was outstanding, Pearson was good/solid, Williams was pretty good and Martin has flashed at times but has generally been a disappointment thus far.

Not a good track record with JUCOs imho.

2013-
Jonathan Johnson
Riyahd Jones
Woody Quinn

2014-
Von Pearson
Dontavius Blair
Chris Weatherd
Owen Williams

2015-
Alvin Kamara
Justin Martin

2016-
Jonathan Kongbo
Alexis Johnson
Jeff George
DJ Henderson

That's 13 JUCOs, and by count only 3, maybe 4 (Pearson, Williams, Kamara and maybe Martin) have done much of anything here. Kamara was outstanding, Pearson was good/solid, Williams was pretty good and Martin has flashed at times but has generally been a disappointment thus far.

There's still time for Jonathan Kongbo and Alexis Johnson to make their mark. Kongbo's already shown flashes with a few tfl's and a defensive touchdown.

Maybe he doesn't like Coach Warren's tough, old school way of coaching. I remember TKjr saying the first team meeting when it was over CCW stood up and said al defensive backs have 60 seconds to be in the meeting room. And no one was late. I love it.

Nb4 can he get them to turn their heads.

In the Butch Jones era, . . .

by count only 3, maybe 4 (Pearson, Williams, Kamara and maybe Martin) have done much of anything here. Kamara was outstanding, Pearson was good/solid, Williams was pretty good and Martin has flashed at times but has generally been a disappointment thus far.

Not saying you're right or wrong about Jucos, I'm on the fence as well.

There is no doubt we whiffed on Blair, but CBJ was trying to put a stopgap on our OL because he knew what was coming. Still missed on him though.
However, I believe Weatherd was a very solid Pass rusher when he was on the field. Decent contribution IMO. Kamara was a home run, so that has to count extra points lol.

In fairness a lot of other schools would have taken these Jucos if we didn't. One can argue what other schools might have done with these players, for better or worse.

But, Shaq has one year of eligibility left and he doesn't count against the upcoming class. So at worst he is an insurance policy. He gives us one year to develop our young DBs both physically and mentally for the grind.

A new guy who supposedly doesn't like to practice much is going to end up not playing much. I'm not sure I even buy that excuse. One would have to be pretty stupid to not practice hard and then expect to play. We'll see....It may be that he's just not all that good.

He plays the ball well. He was very good at UGA as a true fresh. Not a great tackler though

Transfers and jucos just don't work out most of the time. There are exceptions of course, but most of the time they're a non factor regardless of the hype (Blair, Justin Martin). Really hope Kongbo is the exception.

You mean like Kamara and Patterson and many others?

There's still time for Jonathan Kongbo and Alexis Johnson to make their mark. Kongbo's already shown flashes with a few tfl's and a defensive touchdown.

Yea...I'm pulling for those guys - along with Martin - to come up big this year. And if they do then about half panned out...not sure that's too far off from how we do with HS kids...but if course we have higher expectations for JUCOs - we want them to step in and be instant contributors.

But if those two do work out, thats 5-13, but from what i see the rate is not much better for regular players with CBJ

From Hubbs mini pod today. No mention of Wiggins. Fwiw.

"I think you've got to find that other corner. You're gonna have to have a corner who can play physical against the run, particularly that first game. So do you still like the potential concept of sliding Rashaan Gaulden out, or do you feel better with Shamburger. Do you go with just those two? Can Moseley line up and play physical with his shoulder against a Georgia Tech team?"

2013-
Jonathan Johnson
Riyahd Jones
Woody Quinn

2014-
Von Pearson
Dontavius Blair
Chris Weatherd
Owen Williams

2015-
Alvin Kamara
Justin Martin

2016-
Jonathan Kongbo
Alexis Johnson
Jeff George
DJ Henderson

Well tweet all the Jucos and tell them to get their act together.

VN Store

Back