Where is Wiggins?

He was just listing a few to point out that not all of them were failures. For example, he mentioned Dale Carter, but Chris Mims and Chuck Smith were transfers who played on the same defense as Carter and that trio was probably the three best players on the whole defense. Carter and Mims were first round picks and Smith went in the second round. They all had decent NFL careers. Marty Schottenheimer said Carter was the best athlete he ever coached.

Will Wiggins work out? So far, we can all agree he is starting to look like a disappointment, but the season hasn't even kicked off yet, so it's probably too early to panic. If our defense has as many injuries as last year, we'll probably be glad we have him. If our starters get torched in Gainesville, it'll be nice to have him as a Plan B, especially since he's the only corner on our roster who routinely looks for the ball. I'm just glad we have two or three guys who are capable of beating Wiggins out for the starting lineup.

And I was very clear in my post that there are exceptions.

I was thinking we had someone that counted against the 2018 class and I thought it was Wiggins.

Fant is a BS. Maybe that's who your thinking of.

The new rules make it seem like there will be no more counting forward or backward, with a hard 25 limit. If that's the case, we may be able to take a full 25 in 2018 anyway.

Kamara, Cordarrelle Patterson,Dale Carter,Charlie Garner,Anthony Miller,Leonard Little,Jesse Mahelona...didn't even have to Google. Retire the absolute statements, dude!

malik jackson...one of NFL's highest paid d-lineman. Case closed fade.

Reactions: 2 people
I think it's a tough thing to do to drop everything you know and move to a new city and get your classes and achedimics together and no nobody, yet have all these expectations placed on you by the fans. He has barley got himself comfortable in school. He is just now stepping out on the field for us. Folks already going to start trashing him for what? What did he do to you? He might turn out to be pretty good.
Not true UT fans...mainly the idiots with the crystal balls who continually post on VN. IMO, I see him getting considerable playing time.

I think Butch changes up who he compliments from practice to practice to keep competition up as well.

We're past the halfway point of preseason practice and and Shaq Wiggins seems to be a non factor at corner to this point. In fact, it sounds like a true freshman, Shawn Shamburger, is getting more praise from the coaches.
Am I correct in remembering that Wiggins counts against the 2018 class?

Someone tell me I'm overreacting. Am I reading too much into a few comments?

hell play. he has plenty of game film to prove what he can do. with that being said dont expect him to be a savior. he wasnt at the other 2 schools

Butch plans every single thing he does. You want to light a fire under a Sr. Who transferred here to get to the League? Mention a FRESHMAN and don't utter his name as the guy pushing for the NUMBER 3 spot. Butch is pushing his buttons. Trying to get him to understand he has to earn his spot it's not gonna be given to him cause of anything he did prior to stepping on campus. Wiggins didn't forget how to play CB. But just wants him to earn the start through all facets of the game.

Reactions: 2 people
I think it's a tough thing to do to drop everything you know and move to a new city and get your classes and achedimics together and no nobody, yet have all these expectations placed on you by the fans. He has barley got himself comfortable in school. He is just now stepping out on the field for us. Folks already going to start trashing him for what? What did he do to you? He might turn out to be pretty good.

I simply asked the question. I'm not trashing him at all, nor am I minimizing the difficulty of moving to a new school and a new system. But I expected him to get a bit more praise from the coaches, being an older player. He might start every single game, I'm merely questioning his impact to this point, with Mosely being hurt.

Reactions: 3 people
I actually think Wiggins will be great. He's got really good instincts and is a big time ball hawk.

Him transferring around has nothing to do with him not fitting teams or his attitude.

It has to do with he really liked being coached by Todd Grantham. That's the only reason he went to Georgia over Alabama or Auburn. When Grantham left UGA to go to Louisville, he followed him there. Then Grantham left Louisville to go to Mississippi state and Wiggins tried to transfer but Bobby Petrino suddenly blocked him from going to Mississippi state to try to keep him, which Wiggins did not like and publicly criticized Petrino for it too. He said Miss st was not on the block list until suddenly he mentioned following Todd Grantham there. Then he wasn't allowed to go there. That's when he made his decision to get out of Louisville anyways. Bad blood between him and Petrino. So he looked at South Carolina and Tennessee, the rest is history.

He is definitely a game day player. I just don't think he enjoys practicing much. That may be why he is kinda poked at by the coaches, maybe trying to get him to pick it up a little bit. He was injured a lot last season. But played great when he was in the game. Super athletic kid. Don't let his shortness fool you.

Here is some of his highlights from UGA and Louisville. He's got a nice pick off of Deshaun Watson last season in that game.

https://youtu.be/Hy7cHW9CrQs

Reactions: 5 people
I think Butch changes up who he compliments from practice to practice to keep competition up as well.
Has he complimented Wiggins at all?

Butch plans every single thing he does. You want to light a fire under a Sr. Who transferred here to get to the League? Mention a FRESHMAN and don't utter his name as the guy pushing for the NUMBER 3 spot. Butch is pushing his buttons. Trying to get him to understand he has to earn his spot it's not gonna be given to him cause of anything he did prior to stepping on campus. Wiggins didn't forget how to play CB. But just wants him to earn the start through all facets of the game.
Fair points. And that might very well be the case.

I actually think Wiggins will be great. He's got really good instincts and is a big time ball hawk.

Him transferring around has nothing to do with him not fitting teams or his attitude.

It has to do with he really liked being coached by Todd Grantham. That's the only reason he went to Georgia over Alabama or Auburn. When Grantham left UGA to go to Louisville, he followed him there. Then Grantham left Louisville to go to Mississippi state and Wiggins tried to transfer but Bobby Petrino suddenly blocked him from going to Mississippi state to try to keep him, which Wiggins did not like and publicly criticized Petrino for it too. He said Miss st was not on the block list until suddenly he mentioned following Todd Grantham there. Then he wasn't allowed to go there. That's when he made his decision to get out of Louisville anyways. Bad blood between him and Petrino. So he looked at South Carolina and Tennessee, the rest is history.

He is definitely a game day player. I just don't think he enjoys practicing much. That may be why he is kinda poked at by the coaches, maybe trying to get him to pick it up a little bit. He was injured a lot last season. But played great when he was in the game. Super athletic kid. Don't let his shortness fool you.

Here is some of his highlights from UGA and Louisville. He's got a nice pick off of Deshaun Watson last season in that game.

https://youtu.be/Hy7cHW9CrQs

Good post Booker.

A new guy who supposedly doesn't like to practice much is going to end up not playing much. I'm not sure I even buy that excuse. One would have to be pretty stupid to not practice hard and then expect to play. We'll see....It may be that he's just not all that good.

A new guy who supposedly doesn't like to practice much is going to end up not playing much. I'm not sure I even buy that excuse. One would have to be pretty stupid to not practice hard and then expect to play. We'll see....It may be that he's just not all that good.

Or our coach is pushing his buttons. I can imagine he was expecting playing time here considering Sutton just left. Butch is just slapping his hand with a ruler to remind him he still needs to put his dues in camp...even if he's done it 499,000 times, it's what's expected.

If you listen to the players talk about him, he's a great guy and a very good corner. If you watch his highlights, he looks like a really big play maker. If you look at today's practice report, he's been working 1st team. All of that tells me he's probably gonna play a lot and be good. Butch is just giving him a swift kick in his ass. That's all. I'm not worried about it too much.

Reactions: 6 people
You listed 7 from the last 15 years. The list of the ones who didn't work out would crush your list.

Owen Williams,Daniel McCullers,John Johnson,Von Pearson,Mychal Rivera...those are Jucos/transfers who weren't exactly superstars, but definite contributors...others will come to me later. In the meantime, proceed to overwhelm with the failure list. :)

Reactions: 3 people
Fant is a BS. Maybe that's who your thinking of.

The new rules make it seem like there will be no more counting forward or backward, with a hard 25 limit. If that's the case, we may be able to take a full 25 in 2018 anyway.
So Wiggins doesn't count toward a class at all, only the 85? I could have sworn I heard someone I trust say he counted toward '18. I guess maybe I'm misremembering.

He was just listing a few to point out that not all of them were failures. For example, he mentioned Dale Carter, but Chris Mims and Chuck Smith were transfers who played on the same defense as Carter and that trio was probably the three best players on the whole defense. Carter and Mims were first round picks and Smith went in the second round. They all had decent NFL careers. Marty Schottenheimer said Carter was the best athlete he ever coached.

Will Wiggins work out? So far, we can all agree he is starting to look like a disappointment, but the season hasn't even kicked off yet, so it's probably too early to panic. If our defense has as many injuries as last year, we'll probably be glad we have him. If our starters get torched in Gainesville, it'll be nice to have him as a Plan B, especially since he's the only corner on our roster who routinely looks for the ball. I'm just glad we have two or three guys who are capable of beating Wiggins out for the starting lineup.

Chris Mims and Chuck Smith! Success stories keep popping up, unbeckoned! Thanks. :clap:

Clearly more talented and proven then Martin and Mosely, If he doesn't start the first game I think we can safely save the inverse - Shaq Wiggins missed on coming to UT.

Reactions: 1 person
He has the talent from what it looks could be we already have better talent? I don't know just a thought and speculation.

VN Store

Back