When is it time to retire?

rynrem

I could not determine if Musburger was drunk or just getting too old to call games last night. It started early when he said that Zack Preston from MSU gave UK fits with his running abilities. He then mentioned that TN has "DOMINTATED" this series over the last 30years. Throughout the game, he interjected enthusiasm where there was no such need. One example, is when Hurd carried the ball. Brent yelled," Hurd carries and is SHORT!!(he then seem to catch himself and finish the phrase with a more subdue tone) "of the 50 yd line"
He, on several occasions, would interject aforementioned enthusiasm while interrupting Palmer...again for no apparent need.

I've always liked Woody but I found him tough to listen to last night. Did anyone else hear these things? Maybe it was Halloween, maybe he found a Sorority party, ala Tebow and crew, before the game or maybe he is just showing his age. I hope it's not that he has lost the desire to prep and call games.

Reactions: 5 people
I could not determine if Musburger was drunk or just getting too old to call games last night. It started early when he said that Zack Preston from MSU gave UK fits with his running abilities. He then mentioned that TN has "DOMINTATED" this series over the last 30years. Throughout the game, he interjected enthusiasm where there was no such need. One example, is when Hurd carried the ball. Brent yelled," Hurd carries and is SHORT!!(he then seem to catch himself and finish the phrase with a more subdue tone) "of the 50 yd line"
He, on several occasions, would interject aforementioned enthusiasm while interrupting Palmer...again for no apparent need.

I've always liked Woody but I found him tough to listen to last night. Did anyone else hear these things? Maybe it was Halloween, maybe he found a Sorority party, ala Tebow and crew, before the game or maybe he is just showing his age. I hope it's not that he has lost the desire to prep and call games.
Brent has always been one of the worst TV broadcaster in the business. He has gone from very bad to the worst in the business. I know the player hate to be around him. The SEC network messed up when they hired him.

Reactions: 7 people
Never was a big Muss fan, but I remembered thinking the last Vol game he did, he wasn't bad.

But last night...oh, my! For the first time I muted the TV at halftime and listened to the rest of the game on radio.

Really an odd performance last night. He certainly wasn't mailing it in--the enthusiasm, inflection, energy level were all there. Just lots of odd mistakes. Good thing he's in the SEC and not PAC-12. Last night, a dozen Samoan names would've put him in early retirement.

Reactions: 4 people
He was pretty bad. As mentioned, he called us Ky a few times. One time late in the game he said Vandy was losing 17-0 to Houston when the game was almost over and they were down 34-0.

Time for him to go eat green jello at 4:30

Reactions: 2 people
Verne and Brent both need to go to the house....for good. Danielson and Palmer are fine, but their partners are dragging them down.

I enjoyed the game. Like when Madden was fading/faded, I know what's going on the field. If a legend of your youth mangles a technical aspect, you can grouse about it and act like you weren't able to enjoy the beatdown your team administered, or enjoy that extra hour of sleep with a smile on your face. :)

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't mind his mistakes or weirdness. But, something was wrong. Maybe it was his meds, or alcohol, or age, or a combination of things.

At least he is not as over bearing as he used to be.

A few years ago after about every 2 or 3 sentences you heard "And I'mmmm Brent Mussburger" like clockwork. It would come at the weirdest times too. "Pass caught at the 50 yard line ... First downnnn. aaaaand I'mmmmm Brent Musberger."

He was annoying as crap.

I thought he sounded high. Frankly, he reminded me of several....well....women who are patients who are on "happy pills" for depression. Then again maybe he just had a shot of single malt between quarters. Think I prefer him to Gary tho.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back