What's the coldest Tennessee game you've attended?

Only been to a few TN games but probably 2000 Vandy game for me at Nissan Stadium. I was in upper deck part and it was snowing. I always joke saying it was snowing 2 rows behind us and sleeting where we were because it was definitely a mix weather.

This post by @VOLnMiami made me think about some of the extremely cold temperatures I've endured in November as a Vols' fan over the years. I don't remember the exact seasons, but a couple of my trips to Lexington were... painful. It's like the cold concrete in that stadium creeps up from your feet, slowly stealing any remaining warmth in your body. lol.

So, what's the coldest Tennessee game you've attended?

Do not remember the year, but it was the Pittsburgh game after Majors returned to Tennessee. My son and I left in the third quarter.

The coldest I have ever been in my 56 years was at Neyland against Kentucky. Casey Clausen was the quarterback and we beat them 54-something. By the time we left I could not feel my toes.

Vandy vs UT for the “Eric Gray” game. It wasn’t just that it was cold which it was, but it was epically rainy and damp. Like the game was taking place at the top of Clingmans dome in the fall on a rainy day. Had waterproof warm clothing on and had to buy one of those $50 stadium blankets to drape over my legs when they (waterproof pants or not) got soaked through. STILL had to leave late third I was so chilly and damp.

Reactions: VolBricks
UT and Maryland Liberty Bowl 1974.

This is the one I was going to say - hence my Utvols74. This was first game at 11 years old and I couldn't believe how cold it was. It was a mid-December game and the stadium bowl allows winds to blow from north to south. They guy behind me was drunk as a coot.

Reactions: Coach_Z
This post by @VOLnMiami made me think about some of the extremely cold temperatures I've endured in November as a Vols' fan over the years. I don't remember the exact seasons, but a couple of my trips to Lexington were... painful. It's like the cold concrete in that stadium creeps up from your feet, slowly stealing any remaining warmth in your body. lol.

So, what's the coldest Tennessee game you've attended?
2014 @ South Carolina. On the night before, it snowed in Columbia on Halloween!?!? The temperature never got out of the 30s during the game.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
2013 UT/Vandy game. Vandy last second TD and the 32 degree weather made for a miserable night

Not sure about the coldest, but the most miserable was going to Vandy one year and it rained like crazy. I think it was 1996 maybe?

Well, I have been to several cold weather games. If you ever go to a game at Lambeau field, go with a native cheesehead. They know how to prepare for it. You bundle up well, but with the right set up, you don't look like Randy from "A Christmas Story". Bitter but I survived.

I have only been to Vandy once. Maybe this is just me, but just being at Vandy's little cracker box, even in warm weather is bad enough. Had it rained? Yuck, I can't even to begin to imagine that.

Reactions: kcvols1
1982 and 1983 Liberty Bowls are the two coldest games I've ever been to.

'83 game between BC and Notre Dame. 12 degrees at kickoff and wind chill was below zero.

1983_4edit.jpg

That '83 game was miserably cold. My feet were frozen solid 5 minutes into the game.

In '84 or '85, having just moved to Knoxville, I spent too much money on 4 tickets for us and another couple from out of town. I kept reassuring my wife these were the best seats available (mid-level corner), and that's why I'd spent so much on our good friends.

She was still not happy about the money as we walked to the stadium. Then we passed a scalper with 4 seats on the 40, asking half of what I'd spent!

That was the most frigid game I've ever attended at Neyland.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
2014 @ South Carolina. On the night before, it snowed in Columbia on Halloween!?!? The temperature never got out of the 30s during the game.

I was at the game as well and ended up surrounded by lamecock fans. The O.T. win was awesome! Fans leaving the stadium were so pissed. They started throwing their gloves on the ground... lots of gloves, everywhere...

The coldest I've ever been in Neyland was in 1971. I was in my first year there and so was Condredge Holloway. Freshmen were ineligible then so they played a jv schedule of five or so games. Notre Dame was the last one that year. There used to be old electric coil heaters in the restrooms hanging from the ceiling. I saw as much of them as I did the game.

There are three that jump out in my memory for being very cold and two of them have been mentioned - Liberty Bowl in 1974 (sat high up in the stands and it was miserable because of the wind) and the Cotton Bowl in 2000 (my wife and daughter went to the car at halftime due to the cold not just the score). For me, the coldest was the game with UK in 1983 at Lexington. I remembered the game and how bitter cold it was but not the year and had to look it up. I was numb at the end of it but the good guys won despite the weather 10-0. I see that this one didn't make the coldest list but it sure seemed so to me.

1991 - Tennessee vs. Notre Dame at South Bend.

Temp was mid 20's but wind chill was zero (0).

Wasn’t there but the 2000 cotton bowl is the only time my dad said that he left a game early must’ve been awful

VN Store

Back