What's Detroit like?

Awesome city! Only ever been during Memorial Day weekend for Movement Festival and the city is one big party. The downtown area you would be visiting is no more dangerous than any other city. Media propaganda is really doing the populace a disservice with all the hyperbole over crime. Don't let fear keep you from living life and experiencing new places.

If I was in Detroit, I'd visit every museum I could find, and take in everything that area ever manufactured out of steel, aluminum, glass, and bakelite.

It's worth your time whether you appreciate artistic design, engineering, or just can-do problem solving. It's worth your time to be reminded that America used to be a country that made things (instead of just manipulating imaginary debt currency on digital spreadsheets.)

Just practicing my ranting for when I turn 70.

Detroit is what happens when all your economic eggs are put in 1 basket. When the auto industry declined, Detroit was screwed. A lot of other cities we all can name had the same experience.
I live near Dayton, and it’s like mini-Detroit. National Cash Register and AC Delco moved out decades ago, and the city is just now starting to recover.

Like any big city there’s good and bad. Unfortunately, Detroit has a lot of bad, real bad. If you have a destination great but be wary of exploring.
You're being kind. Skip the trip and watch it from home.

Reactions: BigBadVol
It truly baffles me when I hear people talk about not visiting Detroit, Chicago, Memphis, New Orleans, New York etc. because they are “dangerous”. I’ve lived all those places for a sum total of over thirty years. Times I felt threatened or in danger: 0. I’ve been lucky enough to travel all over the world, and often been in places where being alert is important. I was robbed twice in my life: once in Mexico City, when I made a bad choice and left my camera in an unlocked hotel room, and once in Glasgow Scotland when I tried to help a kid out of a fight. In either instance, I could’ve avoided it. Missing out on life because you are afraid is a bad deal. I can’t count the wonderful people I’ve met in places that are branded as “dangerous”. If any of you choose to visit Detroit, you’ll be fine. To be in danger, you’d have to choose to go somewhere that is visibly unsafe, and then get very unlucky. There are amazing restaurants, traditions, and strong ethnic communities, in addition to all of the history of a great industrial towns. Grosse Pointe is one of the prettiest neighborhoods in the country. There are absolutely sections of downtown that are empty and derelict, and there are neighborhoods you don’t need to visit, but hiding at home because of that is a mistake. Great town.

Last edited:
This does nothing to advance the conversation but I will say when I was a young lad of about 7 or 8 I got to go to a Detroit Lions practice and see the GOAT Barry Sanders live in person. One of the early events of my life that turned me into a fairly hardcore sports fan. Always have fond memories Detroit bc of that.

It truly baffles me when I hear people talk about not visiting Detroit, Chicago, Memphis, New Orleans, New York etc. because they are “dangerous”. I’ve lived all those places for a sum total of over thirty years. Times I felt threatened or in danger: 0. I’ve been lucky enough to travel all over the world, and often been in places where being alert is important. I was robbed twice in my life: once in Mexico City, when I made a bad choice and left my camera in an unlocked hotel room, and once in Glasgow Scotland when I tried to help a kid out of a fight. In either instance, I could’ve avoided it. Missing out on life because you are afraid is a bad deal. I can’t count the wonderful people I’ve met in places that are branded as “dangerous”. If any of you choose to visit Detroit, you’ll be fine. You’d have to choose to go somewhere that is visibly unsafe, and then get very unlucky. There are amazing restaurants, traditions, and strong ethnic communities, in addition to all of the history of a great industrial towns. Grosse Pointe is one of the prettiest neighborhoods in the country. There are absolutely sections of downtown that are empty and derelict, and there are neighborhoods you don’t need to visit, but hiding at home because of that is a mistake. Great town.
The part of Detroit any of you will be visiting isn't any more dangerous than Nashville. And NYC is MUCH safer (just got back, it was terrific).

Reactions: acd4476 and kcvols1
With most major cities,any of the major sporting events are going miles away from any problem areas of the city.

I noticed that with the Braves new stadium the last time I visited Atlanta.

You gotta be careful where you roam. It can change block to block, thus it's not a walking city. Don't think you can walk everywhere. You wanna take the purple people mover, the new streetcar up to midtown or an Uber. Don't try to walk it

I haven't been in awhile and not since they’ve opened the Little Caesars arena. All of our friends love it though. Downtown has some really good restaurants and craft breweries. Slows BBQ was one of my favorites when I lived there.The Middle eastern food is unreal and the thing I miss the most. Most of my friends live in the metro area. Birmingham is a nice place to hang out. Royal oak is fun too. Hit up some museums. Motown Records. The Henry Ford Museum is insane.

Haven't been to Motor City since 2002... but the last time I was there working on Zug Island a dead body got caught in the water intake.

Take the boat. The walleye bite is hot on the Detroit River right now.
A couple of years ago I hired a guide on St. Claire for smallmouth, but my son wanted me to change because walleye was something different. We didn't catch a single walleye; it was July 3rd.

VN Store

Back