What's Detroit like?

Lived in the metro area for 3 years. The metro area is way nicer than you’d expect and the downtown area has improved a lot. The stadiums are all within a short walk of each other and it’s the nicest area of the downtown. You’ve got nothing to worry about if any of the stadiums are in view or if you’re close to the Spirit of Detroit statue where all the city government buildings are. But it gets rough pretty quick outside of that lol. Troy, Rochester, Auburn Hills, Plymouth, Northville, Novi, Ann Arbor, Birmingham, Royal Oak….these are the towns you probably want to book your hotel in and then drive into the city.

Oh, and Detroit has the best Arabic food in the country. You have to get a chicken shawarma. Stop by Shawarma’s House in Westland or House of Falafel in Farmington if you want something quick or pick any restaurant in Dearborn if you want to sit down. La Pita, Al Tayeb and Maarouch Restaurant are pretty good in my experience.

Also if you’re into craft beer/IPA’s, you gotta check out either Eastern Market Brewing Co in Detroit or HOMES Brewery in Ann Arbor. If you stay in Troy/Rochester/Birmingham/Royal Oak, swing by Griffin Claw. Michigan has some of the best beer in the country, too.

Last edited:
There is a lot of effort put in to making the downtown area safe and fun.

Detroit is like many major cities. It’s got good places and bad places. You won’t be going to any of the bad places, so you’d be fine.

A lot of my family is from Ypsilanti, so I spent every summer up there and went to Detroit frequently growing up. It’s a cool place.

And I'm sure Chicago is ranked high... but it's also my favorite city in America. Like Chicago, Detroit has some truly amazing spots and they have invested a lot in making it safe near the attractions. If you like beer, I highly recommend Batch brewing and Pie-Sci pizza

My mom was from Detroit. My parents married and after 2 years my dad said moving back to Tennessee. I have only been there once and I was a young kid for a funeral. We still have family up there albeit not in Detroit anymore. I am glad you brought this up. I will have to watch Friday at home in Tennessee but if they advance am contemplating traveling to Detroit for Sunday.

Might as well go back for another funeral......Purdues!😉

Last edited:
And I'm sure Chicago is ranked high... but it's also my favorite city in America. Like Chicago, Detroit has some truly amazing spots and they have invested a lot in making it safe near the attractions. If you like beer, I highly recommend Batch brewing and Pie-Sci pizza

Chicago is my favorite city, as well. Born there, moved to TN in ‘05 as a kid. Still have family there. I’d probably move back if I was in a different industry for work. Imo, it’s not even close to Detroit or Memphis-level bad.

I like Batch, too. My boss took me there. Good stuff. Another place he took me was a bar called Castalia. Really cool place for cocktails. It’s in a really cool old brick house.

Last edited:
Lived in the metro area for 3 years. The metro area is way nicer than you’d expect and the downtown area has improved a lot. The stadiums are all within a short walk of each other and it’s the nicest area of the downtown. You’ve got nothing to worry about if any of the stadiums are in view or if you’re close to the Spirit of Detroit statue where all the city government buildings are. But it gets rough pretty quick outside of that lol. Troy, Rochester, Auburn Hills, Plymouth, Northville, Novi, Ann Arbor, Birmingham, Royal Oak….these are the towns you probably want to book your hotel in and then drive into the city.

Oh, and Detroit has the best Arabic food in the country. You have to get a chicken shawarma. Stop by Shawarma’s House in Westland or House of Falafel in Farmington if you want something quick or pick any restaurant in Dearborn if you want to sit down. La Pita, Al Tayeb and Maarouch Restaurant are pretty good in my experience.

Also if you’re into craft beer/IPA’s, you gotta check out either Eastern Market Brewing Co in Detroit or HOMES Brewery in Ann Arbor. If you stay in Troy/Rochester/Birmingham/Royal Oak, swing by Griffin Claw. Michigan has some of the best beer in the country, too.
what? no Krystals?

I agree about Arabic food. Unreal stuff

Reactions: kcvols1

VN Store

Back