What's Detroit like?

Wouldn’t that just be a pharmacy?

🤩

Tip your waitress.
Try the veal.

Just FYI - that dude is a big leader in, and asset to, the recovery community and has been sober for 14 years.

But don’t go to Detroit! It’s full of drug users like MandM. 😂😂😂😂💕

Reactions: berryvol
Just FYI - that dude is a big leader in, and asset to, the recovery community and has been sober for 14 years.

But don’t go to Detroit! It’s full of drug users like MandM. 😂😂😂😂💕

I actually love Marshall Mathers’ work, and more that he’s leaning into his weaknesses. That moves mountains.

“But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”

2 Corinthians 12:9 ❤️❤️❤️

I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding a glass stem, brillo, lighter/torch and some chunks of a white rocky substance and then shortly after get robbed and carjacked at gunpoint to really get the Detroit experience.

I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding a glass stem, brillo, lighter/torch and some chunks of a white rocky substance and then shortly after get robbed and carjacked at gunpoint to really get the Detroit experience.
With temps in low 30s and rain/sleet you’re going to have to go knock on someone's door to get that kind of service.

A few tunes for the drive up :

Detroit City - Bobby Bare
Come See About Me- the Supremes
Detroit Rock City - KISS
Motor City Madhouse - Ted Nugent
Dancin’ in the Street- the dead - download a live version
Panic in Detroit - David Bowie
Nowhere to Run- Martha and the Vandellas
Detroit City Blues - Fats Domino
I Care About Detroit - The Miracles
Rocky Top - The Osborne Brothers

Reactions: Stoerner Fumbles
In college, my friends and I drove up to Detroit for a baseball game. As it was our only night there, we got the wise idea of driving to filming sites from 8 mile and Gran Torino. We ended up driving around highland park (one of the worst violent crime neighborhoods in the US), stopping to take flash pictures of landmarks at 11 pm or later. Would I do this now? Absolutely not. Did anything happen to us that night? Still, absolutely not.

As you stated, Detroit is an awesome city and loads of fun (had fun that day, but have been back multiple times since - blast every time). Be aware of your surroundings, just like you should be going to your local Walmart, and you will be fine.

Worked in Highland Park for 6 months. Absolutely terrible lol. That was the site of the plant that made the original Model T. Henry Ford made sure it would be an enclave and not part of Detroit itself so he didn’t have to pay city taxes. When the plant shut down, the city was screwed and started an unending downward spiral. It should honestly be annexed by the City of Detroit. It wouldn’t completely change the fortunes of the area, but it couldn’t get any worse. The city hasn’t even been able to fund a high school for a decade now. Truly one of the worst places in America.

Worked in Highland Park for 6 months. Absolutely terrible lol. That was the site of the plant that made the original Model T. Henry Ford made sure it would be an enclave and not part of Detroit itself so he didn’t have to pay city taxes. When the plant shut down, the city was screwed and started an unending downward spiral. It should honestly be annexed by the City of Detroit. It wouldn’t completely change the fortunes of the area, but it couldn’t get any worse. The city hasn’t even been able to fund a high school for a decade now. Truly one of the worst places in America.
I’ve got a lot of old ford family in Detroit and coal family in WV. I love them and love to see them, but when we visit it’s so sad to see how far those areas have fallen. Old areas of promise that are now totally derelict.

I’ve got a lot of old ford family in Detroit and coal family in WV. I love them and love to see them, but when we visit it’s so sad to see how far those areas have fallen. Old areas of promise that are now totally derelict.

It is unfortunately a fairly common feature of our economic system. A lot of areas that were once vibrant get the shaft hard when they’re no longer deemed useful. Pontiac, Michigan was a similar story. My grandma grew up there in the 50’s and 60’s and she told me how it was such a great place to live. Now it looks like a bomb went off there. And once again, it’s because the auto plant that employed my great grandparents and a huge chunk of the people, as well as supported the service businesses in the city, shut down.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
A few tunes for the drive up :

Detroit City - Bobby Bare
Come See About Me- the Supremes
Detroit Rock City - KISS
Motor City Madhouse - Ted Nugent
Dancin’ in the Street- the dead - download a live version
Panic in Detroit - David Bowie
Nowhere to Run- Martha and the Vandellas
Detroit City Blues - Fats Domino
I Care About Detroit - The Miracles
Rocky Top - The Osborne Brothers