Whatever gets your mind off the fact that you're Vandy

kracken_zpskrmqr0l5.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Vandy get in trouble with the NCAA for using Anchor Down on their unis? I believe the rule is unless it's the team name or promotes patriotism you can't have slogans on your uniforms. So why in the hell is Vandy still trying to use it?!?:confused:

Reactions: 1 person
Just saw on Nashville news vandie unveiled their new uni's. Stupid as hell. The helmet has a anchor on the side instead of the star, with a chain running up the back and down to the anchor, kind of mimicing our checkerboard design in a way on the back of the helmet. Then the slogan anchor down on the legs of the uni's. Look's ridiculous. I don't know how to post any links like a lot of you do ( I am old and tech challenged ), but it was on WSMV Channel 4. You might find it worth a view to see this latest vandie joke. All 9 of their fans were there along with the coaching staffs families in line.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Vandy get in trouble with the NCAA for using Anchor Down on their unis? I believe the rule is unless it's the team name or promotes patriotism you can't have slogans on your uniforms. So why in the hell is Vandy still trying to use it?!?:confused:

They got in trouble not for just using it, but for using it in place of the player's last name. I believe NCAA rules state you have to use the player's last name or nothing at all. It can be on other areas of the uniform.

Not sure how a chain linked to an anchor mimics a checkerboard pattern...but yeah, it's been about 4-5 years so clearly it's time for Vandy to change their helmets again.

Don't really see why they need an anchor and chain. A brick on twine is about all you need to secure a dinghy.

Reactions: 2 people
Not that bad, honestly. Would rather see individual numbers in place of the classic star and V on the sides, though.

And I've never understood the "anchor down" mantra. At face value, doesn't that imply that your ship is going nowhere? On second thought, it fits perfect. Carry on Vandy.

All right. They are so smart...just ask them; they'll tell you, or don't ask; they'll tell you. How do they justify using those two slogans?

ANCHOR DOWN
To those unaware of the intricacies of nautical travel, “anchor down” means stop. A ship may drop anchor for a number of reasons, perhaps to await passage of a tempest and or allow the crew to rest.

DEEP WATER
Cambridge dictionary:
be in deep water (also get into deep water)
› to be in or get into serious trouble

Wikitionary:
Deep Water
(idiomatic) A difficult or embarrassing situation.
You will be in deep water if you are found copying from other dictionaries.

English Club:
Meaning: If you're in deep water, you're in some sort of trouble or in a difficult situation.

Audio English:
DEEP WATER
Pronunciation (US):
Dictionary entry overview: What does deep water mean?
• DEEP WATER (noun)
The noun DEEP WATER has 1 sense:
1. serious trouble
Meaning:
Serious trouble
Classified under:
Nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
Hypernyms ("deep water" is a kind of...):
problem; trouble (a source of difficulty)

Hmmm. On second thought those two slogans are very applicable for Vandy. Of course they have about as much to do with anything nautical as the "Commodore" did.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back