What Were the VolNation Way-Too-Early Predictions Last February?

I think I said 6-6 and didn't really put much importance on the result of the bowl game.
If I'm wrong, I am sure someone will dig it up to show me since that's what we like to do around here.

Reactions: 1 person
Most were realistic in February with 5-6 wins but as always some expectations grew the more kool aid they drank. Happens to everyone and every fan base.

I think I said 5 - 7 but that was before Dobbs played.
I really believe that if BJ had started Dobbs at the first of the year, UGA & UF would have been wins. I think we get those 2 wins this year. I will be very disappointed if we don't. 8 -4 or maybe even 9 -3 for 2015. BJ had a really really good recruiting year!

Five is revisionist history by those desperate to declare '14 an overachievement. The avg pick was six. The range was 5 to 7.

The pick was 6. They won 6. Solid "C" season but nothing better.

Five is revisionist history by those desperate to declare '14 an overachievement. The avg pick was six. The range was 5 to 7.

The pick on this fan website was 6 I agree, but the consensous in the media was 5-7. There were some at 4-8 and some at 6-6 but 5-7 and 12th in the SEC was most popular pick by MEDIA.

So IMO last season, with the bowl win makes it a solid B.

Reactions: 1 person
This month, most folks are saying anything between 8-4 and 10-2. There are a few outliers who are predicting 7-6 or 11-1, but the vast majority are in that 8 to 10 win range.

So what did VolNation look like a year ago, back in Feb 14? What were most of the predictions like?

Just wondering, as a guy who wasn't here a year ago. Was it all gloom and doom back then, or sunshine and rainbows, or ... did the VN crowd kind of get 7-6 right?

Thanks for satisfying curiosity on this. :hi:

I said 6-6

I said 7 last year, then 8 with a bowl. Ive toned it down a lot since i predicted a win over oregon the year before, but the homerism and delusion is creepin back in so 9-3 this year and a crushing win against another big 10 team in a bowl.

Well I can tell you this. ESPN releases positional rankings each year that rank the QB's, WRs/TE's, RB, OL, DL, LB, DB and ST as units against the rest of the SEC.

I've built some formula's around those rankings that usually give you a standard devation of 1 spot defense from where the team finishes up in the final SEC divisional rankings.

Here is what the point totals the last 4 years have been (where that point total put us) and what they are currently right now as ESPN is almost done with this years edition.

79 points (10th)
54 points (11th)
46.5 points (11th)
93 points with one more group to go (1st currently)

So I think it is fair to say this years team has more talent and experience than any TN team in a long, long time.

Anyone stating that last season was an overachievement needs their head examined. Here were the wins: USU, Ark St., UTC, USC, UK, Vandy, and Iowa.

Here were the losses: OK, UGA, UF, Ole Miss, Bama, Mizzou.

Granted we closed the gap in most of the losses, but last season was about average. I expect more from this season specifically moving OU, either UF/UGA, and Ark to the win column.

So I think it is fair to say this years team has more talent and experience than any TN team in a long, long time.

{emphasis added}

Yeah, Eric, I've enjoyed the analysis you've been doing this past week or so, and appreciate all the work. But one correction to the statement above, modifying the word "has":

I think it is fair to say this year's team is perceived by ESPN's sportswriters and analysts as having more talent and experience than any TN team in a long time.

Filtering reality through those writers rather than a more direct reading of talent. They might be dead on right, but still important to acknowledge the one-off nature of the analysis.

:good!:I got my 6-6 last year but I've noticed dramatic improvement across the board. A bad season will be 10-2 for me and hopeful and optimistic 11-1 then a big bowl win. Laugh at it but it's more than possible. We are back thanks to Jones.:good!:

VN Store

Back