What Were the VolNation Way-Too-Early Predictions Last February?

I think I said 7-5 and a taxslayer bowl win but not for sure.

I think I actually said 6-6 or 7-5 and I was basing that off how bad I thought the D was going to be.

I said I HOPE 7-5, realistic 6-6, feared 5-7. MOST of the people on here about this time were talking 8 wins, then summer practice started and SEC media days and it was about 65% 6 wins 30% 7 wins 5% 8 wins.... IMO.

This month, most folks are saying anything between 8-4 and 10-2. There are a few outliers who are predicting 7-6 or 11-1, but the vast majority are in that 8 to 10 win range.

So what did VolNation look like a year ago, back in Feb 14? What were most of the predictions like?

Just wondering, as a guy who wasn't here a year ago. Was it all gloom and doom back then, or sunshine and rainbows, or ... did the VN crowd kind of get 7-6 right?

Thanks for satisfying curiosity on this. :hi:

I can't speak for February, but I started tracking about every 'professional' prediction from after the Orange and White game until kickoff, including a VN poll from May.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vOKoQ_Pix10mXVhg6lEOdU8NNvYUVVZq07lJvw8KrA0/edit?usp=sharing

Reactions: 2 people
This time last year I think I saw 8 wins. Then as the season got closer I probably saw 9. I get more excited and optimistic every year as the season gets closer. I can't help it. Next season I see 8 wins. In august my guess will be closer to 10.

Last season we had to replace our entire O line and D line.

For that reason I predicted 6 Wins in the regular season and back to a bowl game finally.

I thought we would have to get lucky to accomplish that based on our always tough schedule but we made it, Thank God.

Next season I'm predicting 8 regular season Wins because of how stout our D line rotation should be and the extra pressure and sacks on the QB and a little improvement with our O line.

Better D will mean we won't have to score as much to still get the Wins.

I'm also predicting THIS year we drain the swamp and end the streak with the Gators and get the WIN.

Tennessee...27
Gators.....17

#RiseToTheTop...VFL...GBO!!!

I was in the 7-5 range. Wins over- USU, ARK ST., UTC, UK, MIZZOU, VANDY and either USC or UF.

I think I remember 373 "Wheegunnawhipdeyazzes!" Last year...

So far through Jan-Feb...we've got 567 of those...

Reactions: 1 person
I think I remember 373 "Wheegunnawhipdeyazzes!" Last year...

So far through Jan-Feb...we've got 567 of those...

I can't believe anyone would keep a count on those, LOL!

Here's 1 more for you my friend because this season, in their swamp against floriDUHHH...

we damn sure ARE going to whip their azzes!

27 to 17 for a Big Orange WIN!

#RiseToTheTop...VFL...GBO!!!

What Volnation was saying doesn't matter. Last year, the EXPERTS were predicting anywhere from 4-8 to 6-6, and that was the ceiling. Obviously, the ones calling 6-6 were pretty close.

I haven't heard any of the EXPERTS predict anything lower than 8-4 for the Vols in 2015, and that's what excites me. I'm happy with 8-4 with wins over UF and UGA. 7-5 or worse and losing to UF again and I'll start to lose faith.

I said 5 wins last year. This year I have us at 8.

That is what I said last year. Thought we would need to upset someone to get to 6 wins and we did (SC). 8 this year with the possibility of getting to 9 with another upset.

8 regular season wins should be the expectation. We could win more but I would be happy with a progression to 8. Losing more than 4 means we lost to somebody we shouldn't have and probably didn't win any we shouldn't have.

Reactions: 1 person
What Volnation was saying doesn't matter. Last year, the EXPERTS were predicting anywhere from 4-8 to 6-6, and that was the ceiling. Obviously, the ones calling 6-6 were pretty close.

I haven't heard any of the EXPERTS predict anything lower than 8-4 for the Vols in 2015, and that's what excites me. I'm happy with 8-4 with wins over UF and UGA. 7-5 or worse and losing to UF again and I'll start to lose faith.

I'd say they were right on the money.

There were many that said the offensive line would be better than it was in 2013.

I admit that I thought the OL would be at least serviceable last year. It just goes to show how important those unsung heroes are. I have no doubt that we will be better this year than last year.

This month, most folks are saying anything between 8-4 and 10-2. There are a few outliers who are predicting 7-6 or 11-1, but the vast majority are in that 8 to 10 win range.

So what did VolNation look like a year ago, back in Feb 14? What were most of the predictions like?

Just wondering, as a guy who wasn't here a year ago. Was it all gloom and doom back then, or sunshine and rainbows, or ... did the VN crowd kind of get 7-6 right?

Thanks for satisfying curiosity on this. :hi:

Last year, I said 6 - 6 and headed to the Music City Bowl.

I don't plan on anyone upsetting the VOLS in 2015.

If they do, I will be upset.

I really thought we would win about 8 last year because I didn't think the O line was as bad as people were saying.

I also see that some experts actually did pick TN to only win 4 even though Butch said 3 to 4.

This year I am so optimistic !

The scary part of many predictions for 2015, is most predictions are predicated on Dobb's staying healthy, G** forbid injury to Dobbs!

I said we had to win 6 and then we should throttle whatever bowl opponent we got for our 6 - 6 record. We did that.

However, the Florida game, the O-line, and the Dobbs decision still put some serious question marks on this staff on Saturday. Brilliant Sunday to Friday; questions to answer in 2015 on Saturdays. Hiring DeBord also means no room to maneuver - has to deliver on Saturday now.

I think most had at least predicted 6. No one was really going higher than 8, and even then they were outliers.

I think I had said 5 or 6. This year I'm saying 8. 9 with a bowl.

VN Store

Back