What round will Josh Dobbs get drafted in, if at all?

Way too early to say. Right now he has a 5-7 grade on most boards. With strong combine and SR bowl performances he can go as high as 2-3.

A lot can happen in combine and Senior Bowl game. He's not up there right now, but all it takes is that one scout that he amazes and he could possibly go top 4 rounds. I hope he goes 1st round.

Walterfootball.com has Josh ranked at the 12th best qb in the draft.

Cbssports.com has him being the 10th qb taken.

Sports Illustrated says he's not one of the top 10 qbs in the draft

ProFootballFocus says he's not in their top 5 qb list

Drafttek.com says he's their 11th qb in the draft

Kiper doesn't have Josh in his top 10.

Draftwire.com doesn't have him listed in their top 10, nor among their "4 on the bubble"

Not sure about McShay or some others.

Look, it only takes one team to love Josh and go against the grain/prognosticators/so-called experts. Plus, Josh has the Senior Bowl, his Pro Day and the combine to improve his stock.

But right now, it's difficult to say he's gonna be anything but a late round pick and maybe even an undrafted free agent.

I hope he goes somewhere in middle rounds and that a top, successful franchise like a New England or Seattle or KC or Pittsburgh snatches him up.

Doubt he goes by 4th round, certainly not sniffing the early 2nd round.

Your problem is you put too much faith in the McShays and Kipers of the world. Those guys know nothing about a guy like Dobbs draft stock right now. They are shooting in the wind. NFL front offices haven't even put together draft boards yet. Other than for the guys with lots of hype like Deshaun Watson, nobody knows where the rest of the QBs fall in the pecking order.

Just go and look up mock drafts by guys like Kiper and McShay at this time LAST YEAR and then compare it to the actual results.

The draft evaluation process is just beginning. For a guy like Dobbs I'm sure his value in NFL front offices and among scouts is higher than among the media draft heads. Those guys are typically last to know on many things.

Late round possibly, though I wouldn't be surprised to see him go as an undrafted free agent. I don't think it's an extremely strong QB class this year, so that could definitely help him out.

I do think, that even if as a free agent, he'll be given a chance on a team somewhere. It may or may not lead to anything, but he'll be given a chance.

Right. Worse case JD becomes an underrated free agent, of course we're hoping for the best.

Dobbs and Brett Hundley (UCLA) are basically the same prospect. Hundley went in round 5, which I think is generous for Dobbs. Round 5 or later is realistic. He's not Russell Wilson, who went in r3, Dobbs is not an accomplished passer which is what the NFL wants to some degree. He has nothing to prove at the Senior Bowl really, it comes down to the pro day and team workouts closer to the draft. He will likely be working with a QB coach to improve his skills as a passer, if he shows a lot of progress in terms of mechanics, delivery, accuracy (especially on deep balls), etc. then he will have a shot at r4, maybe r3 if a team falls in love with his intelligence and grit.

Last edited:
Only if they can jump.

Edit: I think he goes late 4 early 5. I'd like to see what he can do against a good D with a solid O line. Maybe those overthrows will come down a little bit.

If they can't jump...they shouldn't be a WR.

Your problem is you put too much faith in the McShays and Kipers of the world. Those guys know nothing about a guy like Dobbs draft stock right now. They are shooting in the wind. NFL front offices haven't even put together draft boards yet. Other than for the guys with lots of hype like Deshaun Watson, nobody knows where the rest of the QBs fall in the pecking order.

Just go and look up mock drafts by guys like Kiper and McShay at this time LAST YEAR and then compare it to the actual results.

The draft evaluation process is just beginning. For a guy like Dobbs I'm sure his value in NFL front offices and among scouts is higher than among the media draft heads. Those guys are typically last to know on many things.

I'm not putting too much faith in anybody. I cited 7 separate sources, only 1 which was Kiper, and said I don't know about McShay. And if I was gonna put "too much faith" into somebody, it surely wouldn't be in you and your erroneous thoughts/predictions.

What I do know is that most everybody said Goff and Wentz were gonna be picked very early in last year's draft, among the very first qbs taken in the few months leading up to the draft.....Goff was taken with the first pick, Wentz with the second.

Reactions: 7 people
We'll know more after the senior bowl and combine.

If I had to guess, anywhere from early 2nd round-late 4th round is possible.

He's too physically gifted to fall past the 4th round. Some team (like Seattle) would take a flyer on him just based on the tools. However, if he kills it at the senior bowl and combine (which is very possible) he stock could sky rocket into the early to mid 2nd round.

Didn't you have Dobbs going 7th overall in another thread?

Reactions: 1 person
Didn't you have Dobbs going 7th overall in another thread?

He's all over the place. In recent months, he's had him as a certain 1st rounder. Now he's got him going anywhere from early 2nd to by end of 4th....just hedging his bets so he can try and deflect the certain criticism coming his way, kinda like last year when he pretty called anyone an idiot in here who didn't agree with him that North would definitely, absolutely be off the board no later than the 4th round. It's just his schtick.

Reactions: 3 people
He said.......
So many great players in this class that my top 10-20 is constantly changing. Here is what I got right now:

D4H's Top 20 Prospects in the 2017 NFL Draft
1. DE Myles Garrett (Texas A&M)
2. DL Solomon Thomas (Stanford)
3. CB Cam Sutton (Tennessee)
4. WR Corey Davis (Western Michigan)
5. RB Alvin Kamara (Tennessee)
6. RB Joe Mixon (Oklahoma)
7. QB Joshua Dobbs (Tennessee)
8. QB Brad Kaaya (Miami)
9. CB Jourdan Lewis (Michigan)
10. DE Charles Harris (Missouri)
11. DT Caleb Brantley (Florida)
12. S Eddie Jackson (Alabama)
13. CB Marlon Humphrey (Alabama)
14. TE Evan Engram (Ole Miss)
15. RB Leonard Fournette (LSU)
16. DL Malik McDowell (Michigan State)
17. S Jamal Adams (LSU)
18. LB Jarrad Davis (Florida)
19. CB Teez Tabor (Florida)
20. DE Derek Barnett (Tennessee)

He's all over the place. In recent months, he's had him as a certain 1st rounder. Now he's got him going anywhere from early 2nd to by end of 4th....just hedging his bets so he can try and deflect the certain criticism coming his way, kinda like last year when he pretty called anyone an idiot in here who didn't agree with him that North would definitely, absolutely be off the board no later than the 4th round. It's just his schtick.

Of course he's hedging his bets, that's all he does. Of course it doesn't matter if he did make an actual prediction and stuck with it because when he turned out wrong, he'd just either ignore it or somehow spin it that he was actually right.

Reactions: 3 people
Of course he's hedging his bets, that's all he does. Of course it doesn't matter if he did make an actual prediction and stuck with it because when he turned out wrong, he'd just either ignore it or somehow spin it that he was actually right.

You know him well.

His senior bowl performance will be big as will his interviews. Teams are going to quiz him on how open he is to switching positions. If he handles those questions well, he could go rd 2-3.

Right. Worse case JD becomes an underrated free agent, of course we're hoping for the best.

Oh absolutely, I wish Dobbs nothing but success. I'm still not sold on his NFL potential, but I truly hope he proves me wrong. I'll gladly eat crow over it.

His senior bowl performance will be big as will his interviews. Teams are going to quiz him on how open he is to switching positions. If he handles those questions well, he could go rd 2-3.

If he's willing to switch to a position he's never played before he can go earlier in the draft as one of the top 64 or 96 players selected? If he switches to WR, which I don't think he will or should, he'll become an even bigger project and it'll drop him further imo.

I think he's a late round pick, possibly a UFA (hopefully not) and plays qb no matter what in the NFL. Jmo.

If he's willing to switch to a position he's never played before he can go earlier in the draft as one of the top 64 or 96 players selected? If he switches to WR, which I don't think he will or should, he'll become an even bigger project and it'll drop him further imo.

I think he's a late round pick, possibly a UFA (hopefully not) and plays qb no matter what in the NFL. Jmo.

You're not thinking about it the right way. His greatest asset is his athleticism. Obviously, you draft him as a QB, but if he doesn't develop as a QB, you want the option to channel that athleticism into another spot on the field. If he says, "I'm a QB, period" Tim Tebow style, then you run the risk of drafting a QB that is worthless once you find out he can't QB at an NFL level.

Dobbs and Brett Hundley (UCLA) are basically the same prospect. Hundley went in round 5, which I think is generous for Dobbs. Round 5 or later is realistic. He's not Russell Wilson, who went in r3, Dobbs is not an accomplished passer which is what the NFL wants to some degree. He has nothing to prove at the Senior Bowl really, it comes down to the pro day and team workouts closer to the draft. He will likely be working with a QB coach to improve his skills as a passer, if he shows a lot of progress in terms of mechanics, delivery, accuracy (especially on deep balls), etc. then he will have a shot at r4, maybe r3 if a team falls in love with his intelligence and grit.

Not even close. Hundley does not have Dobbs innate escapability in the pocket nor does he have the same scrambling ability. People seriously undervalue this skill. Its the reason he's closer to Russell Wilson than Brett Hundley. How often does Wilson by time by scrambling to find receivers downfield? How about Rodgers and Roethlisberger?

Dobbs (mainly because our o-line is so bad) has been making something out of nothing his whole career here. That skill will help him succeed his first few seasons in the NFL as he hones the ins and outs of being a pocket passer in a pro-style offense.

I compare Dobbs to Randall Cunningham in terms of his physical tools (height, weight, speed, arm strength) and his innate scrambling skills.

Not even close. Hundley does not have Dobbs innate escapability in the pocket nor does he have the same scrambling ability. People seriously undervalue this skill. Its the reason he's closer to Russell Wilson than Brett Hundley. How often does Wilson by time by scrambling to find receivers downfield? How about Rodgers and Roethlisberger?

Dobbs (mainly because our o-line is so bad) has been making something out of nothing his whole career here. That skill will help him succeed his first few seasons in the NFL as he hones the ins and outs of being a pocket passer in a pro-style offense.

I compare Dobbs to Randall Cunningham in terms of his physical tools (height, weight, speed, arm strength) and his innate scrambling skills.

Dobbs is a more competitive Achilles Smith.

I think he can be a journeyman QB for 7 years. Make his millions and move to public service or NASA.

Whatever he decides it will be a lot better than what most people have. And he's the next great Ambassador for UT.

what do yall think he runs?

Im thinking around a 4.7... Hes football fast for sure and has ran away from guys who will post better than that but I don't think he's a great 40 guy. Also curious about his vertical and bench. He's shockingly strong and may have been harder to take down in the open field than Hurd. Just bounces off of and pulls away from guys constantly.

VN Store

Back