What makes one "invested" in America?

How about I rephrase:

We would never allow ourselves to be without an enemy.

Eh. Id agree that we will never be without one. I dont think that we have or will always seek one out just for the sake of it tho.

Do you think it's possible for the US to not have an enemy without it being manufactured?

Eh. Id agree that we will never be without one. I dont think that we have or will always seek one out just for the sake of it tho.

Do you think it's possible for the US to not have an enemy without it being manufactured?

I believe you phrased your question wrong.

I don't believe we would allow ourself to be without an enemy. Is it possible for us to have an enemy that isn't manufactured? Yes.

Was our current enemy manufactured, yes (supplying weapons during the Cold War, overthrowing the Iranian government, overthrowing Iraq recently, intentional false reports from the bush administration)

Reactions: 1 person

For example: You could build your primary residence and because you did the work / subbed out, you have a home worth substantially more than it cost. The if you live in it for 2 years, there is no tax on the gain (capped at 500k for a married couple). Can be repeated every 2 years.

I believe you phrased your question wrong.

I don't believe we would allow ourself to be without an enemy. Is it possible for us to have an enemy that isn't manufactured? Yes.

Was our current enemy manufactured, yes (supplying weapons during the Cold War, overthrowing the Iranian government, overthrowing Iraq recently, intentional false reports from the bush administration)
No. I asked it the way it was intended. You answered it in the middle.

On that we will agree. On drawing conclusions on the last part, we will not. At least not to the degree you suggest.

To "not have an enemy" "without it being manufactured".

Your question makes no sense. I seriously think you need to reread it.

For example: You could build your primary residence and because you did the work / subbed out, you have a home worth substantially more than it cost. The if you live in it for 2 years, there is no tax on the gain (capped at 500k for a married couple). Can be repeated every 2 years.

That build a home/flip a home model is about played out after 2008. I'm not saying that some people can't do it, but it is not going to be as easy now or in the future as it was during the housing bubble/boom.

I'm tired guys. My wife is tired. We have collectively been working for 63 years. My standard day is between 10 and 12 hours. Since we turned about 35 years old our tax burden has steadily increased to where it hovers around 17% - 18% Federal and State. That's not counting all the other Mickey Mouse taxes that we pay. How much more do I have to give for the net zero tax payers to stop f'ing whining about baby boomers robbing them? What does it take to be invested in this country?
You may not want to hear it, but baby boomers have had it good their entire lives. They were coddled in nuclear families in the 1950's, enjoyed the sex/drugs/rock n roll era of the 60's and 70's, enjoyed the economic boom of the 80's and 90's, and enjoyed purchasing 2nd homes during the housing boom of the 2000's. Now, they are sucking resources from the generations behind them as they retire.

No generation was given so much and returned so little. From nuclear families to broken homes. From an era where the next generation had it better than the previous generation, to an era where the kids of today are burdened at 18-20 years old with knee buckling student loan debt. From purchasing a home after getting established in their late 20's to moving back into their parents home and searching for work still in their late 20's today.

That build a home/flip a home model is about played out after 2008. I'm not saying that some people can't do it, but it is not going to be as easy now or in the future as it was during the housing bubble/boom.

You have no idea what you're talking about. An established person like Glen or Hog could do that very easily. Half a million dollar homes are still selling like hot cakes in upper middle class communities.

You have no idea what you're talking about. An established person like Glen or Hog could do that very easily. Half a million dollar homes are still selling like hot cakes in upper middle class communities.

So wait, build yourself or subcontract the construction of a home that will be good enough to sell in a half million dollar neighborhood, roll the dice and sit on it for 2 years (in this economy) and hope that cash sales don't bottom out, the hidden foreclosures don't quickly surface and saturate the market, or that interest rates don't jump up?

And this is your recipe for prosperity in 2015?

OK

Thanks for the vote of confidence but don't have the cash flow to gamble on high dollar real estate. Maybe in a few more years.

VN Store

Back