What is your favorite road trip as a UT football fan??? Least favorite???

The BEST single trip was LSU after Katrina. My wife and I were some of the very few UT fans there, and we were interviewed by the Nashville Tennessean outside the LSU student ticket gate to prove it. It was amazing. We fly for free standby. We couldn't get in and out of local airports, so we flew down to Fort Walton Beach Florida, rented a car, drove across 4 states and went to the game. We left the game and drove all night back across 4 states to catch a 5am flight back to Atlanta and then back home. We got there around 11 and I had to be at work at 1. I didn't get off until 9pm,......I slept good that night!

Without the ending of this game, breaking Miami's 26 game home winning streak would be tops.

The best roadtrip we take routinely is Athens.

The worst roadtrip was Florida in 05. We overpaid for tickets and lost. It wasn't fun.

Sadly, the worst routine roadtrip we take is to the Georgia Dome. I HATE that place. I am 1-5 there since the first Peach Bowl. The win was the b-ball win over Arkansas for Buzz's last game. The losses are Maryland, Clemson, Auburn, UK(b-ball) and LSU (b-ball).

Best: I would say Athens

Worst: I went to the Tennessee v/s Arkansas game and set in section 112. On the aisle where the Arkansas section ends and Tennessee section began. Luckily, I sat two rows in front of a 40 + drunk. He pushed me into the people in front of me twice before i turned around and asked him if he had insurance. His wife said, yes. I looked at both of them and said, "You touch me again and you will be using it." My brother, who just came back from Iraq and was able to go with me and happens to be a Razorback fan , made a comment he had not heard a peep from him since the first quarter and it was the third. No woo pig soooie or nothing. Priceless.

you've obviously never been to columbia or starkville. nothing says football atmosphere like an industrial park and cow pastures.

the stadium in starkville is right in the middle of campus and its actually not bad. recent renovations to campus have made it more like ole miss and as horrible as they have been recently, they still have pretty good crowds and atmosphere

I enjoyed Auburn myself. Fans were great and the atmosphere was amazing.

Vandy doesn't even belong in the same conversation.

Arkansas was bad this past year. The walk back to my car was like running a gauntlet...

FAVORITE: Toss up -- Georgia and Ole Miss.

Athens is great for all of the above reasons -- cool place to hang out before and after the game, FREE parking, and the visiting section is set up tremendously for a post-game in-stadium celebration. If people haven't seen pictures of the Vol fans lining the huge stairwell and balcony after the '06 comeback, maybe we can get some on here. And, yes, the young women are every bit as attractive as SEC lore would tell you. If there's a downside to Athens, it's that things are fairly spread out, so you end up walking a lot.

Oxford's Grove is downright impressive. For those who haven't been, you have a circular park about the size of a football field COMPLETELY packed with lavish tailgating tents and catered food, and some even have a "staff" to serve. If there is competition for the girls in Athens, it's Oxford. Add to that that they all dress like they're going to either a dance club or a New Year's party after the game. Not bad considering that the Mississippi Faithful have a team that downright sucks.

LEAST FAVORITE: Gainesville. Hot, sticky, nasty weather in a dung-pile of a city dropped in the middle of nowhere Florida. The fans are rude and unaccommodating (definitely the exception from most SEC towns), and the tailgating leaves quite a bit to be desired. If there's an upside, well . . . . sunshine and beaches an hour-and-a-half away tend to attract a particular type of female.

UNKNOWN: Bama. But, not for long. That's the trip this fall.

Favorite: Alabama

When we win, there's no better trip.

Worst: Gainsville

When you lose there, they let you know it.

FAVORITE: Toss up -- Georgia and Ole Miss.

Athens is great for all of the above reasons -- cool place to hang out before and after the game, FREE parking, and the visiting section is set up tremendously for a post-game in-stadium celebration. If people haven't seen pictures of the Vol fans lining the huge stairwell and balcony after the '06 comeback, maybe we can get some on here. And, yes, the young women are every bit as attractive as SEC lore would tell you. If there's a downside to Athens, it's that things are fairly spread out, so you end up walking a lot.

Oxford's Grove is downright impressive. For those who haven't been, you have a circular park about the size of a football field COMPLETELY packed with lavish tailgating tents and catered food, and some even have a "staff" to serve. If there is competition for the girls in Athens, it's Oxford. Add to that that they all dress like they're going to either a dance club or a New Year's party after the game. Not bad considering that the Mississippi Faithful have a team that downright sucks.

LEAST FAVORITE: Gainesville. Hot, sticky, nasty weather in a dung-pile of a city dropped in the middle of nowhere Florida. The fans are rude and unaccommodating (definitely the exception from most SEC towns), and the tailgating leaves quite a bit to be desired. If there's an upside, well . . . . sunshine and beaches an hour-and-a-half away tend to attract a particular type of female.

UNKNOWN: Bama. But, not for long. That's the trip this fall.

Doc, remind me before you come over and I'll tell you the best and quickest ways to the stadium with the easiest parking spots. Also some good BBQ and "pregame refreshment facilities".

Best: I would say Athens

Worst: I went to the Tennessee v/s Arkansas game and set in section 112. On the aisle where the Arkansas section ends and Tennessee section began. Luckily, I sat two rows in front of a 40 + drunk. He pushed me into the people in front of me twice before i turned around and asked him if he had insurance. His wife said, yes. I looked at both of them and said, "You touch me again and you will be using it." My brother, who just came back from Iraq and was able to go with me and happens to be a Razorback fan , made a comment he had not heard a peep from him since the first quarter and it was the third. No woo pig soooie or nothing. Priceless.

Arkansas would have been my worst, but the fans were the best I have encountered in the SEC. I know some people don't like Razorback fans, but I found them to be completely respectful before, during and for the most part, after the game.

On the other hand, Florida fans are just brutal. 24-7

Favorite is to Tenn. I live in Fla.

I'm with you on that. I don't get to go to Neyland but once a year. I am going to the Ark. game on Nov 10 then on Nov 11 I am going to Nashville to watch my Jaguars stomp VY into the ground. Go Vols Go Jags:good!:

my favorite trip is Athens, just because it is only a short drive from Knoxville and there are usually a ton of Vol fans who make the trip. Not to mention the scenery in Athens is second to none if you know what I mean. The town is really cool to hang out in before the game and the stadium is very nice. I like going down there.

Least favorite is Kentucky, usually because it is so cold when we play up there.

I havent been everywhere yet... but athens was awesome last yearl. I would def go back. Auburn is pretty fun but extremely hostile. Not to mention last time down there we lost after we were favored 10 or so points.. Kentucky is terrible lol soo dang cold. SC is pretty kool but still my fav has been UGA

Gawga is my favorite. That's a great town to visit - lots of good bars and eats. Nashville is second, would be 1st except we have to play against a 2nd teir team in Vandy. Nashville is the best host city in the SEC. :thumbsup:

Least favorite would be Miss. St. and Auburn. I still can't figure out why any kid would want to go to school in those bass akwards towns. FL used to be up there - it's hot, flat, fans are bastards and Aluchua Co. residents are questionable. Of course I lived in FL most of my life, so I don't consider it much of a visit. On the other hand, one of my best friends is a FL alum and he's having oysters on the 1/2 shell this year, so the FL visit has moved into 3rd from this point on. He told me I have to bring some moonshine, though. Anybody know where I can get some? :)

Gawga is my favorite. That's a great town to visit - lots of good bars and eats. Nashville is second, would be 1st except we have to play against a 2nd teir team in Vandy. Nashville is the best host city in the SEC. :thumbsup:

Least favorite would be Miss. St. and Auburn. I still can't figure out why any kid would want to go to school in those bass akwards towns. FL used to be up there - it's hot, flat, fans are bastards and Aluchua Co. residents are questionable. Of course I lived in FL most of my life, so I don't consider it much of a visit. On the other hand, one of my best friends is a FL alum and he's having oysters on the 1/2 shell this year, so the FL visit has moved into 3rd from this point on. He told me I have to bring some moonshine, though. Anybody know where I can get some? :)

Buy some Everclear PGA 190 proof and pour it into a mason jar. Works very well on the weak minded people like Florida fans.

he is holding it kinda funny

yeah

2006-09-06-ainge-large.jpg

Doc, remind me before you come over and I'll tell you the best and quickest ways to the stadium with the easiest parking spots. Also some good BBQ and "pregame refreshment facilities".

Will do. I appreciate it and look forward to meeting in person!

VN Store

Back