What is wrong with Kentucky Basketball?

Cal's inability to adapt to the game is what's wrong with Kentucky.
No development. he has to drop the one and done model. yall looked like freshmen out there. if you weren't so much more athletic and talented it wouldn't have been close. but your guys looked lost at times and weren't reacting well to the pressure of the tournament.

I think this is Cal's oldest team in a while, but thats not really saying much.

g7ettmmkmvpc1.jpeg

Already have 2 losses on the season and losing to Michigan now.

It seems like Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, and Tennessee are carrying the banner of the league.

I was surprised they were ranked #4 but I thought they would be better than they have been.
One and done mentality

Reactions: norrislakevol
In some ways Cal has coached quite well to integrate a new set of star freshmen into his lineup every year. However, it is ridiculous the age differential between the UK players and most other teams. It is hard to figure the advantage of the kiddy corps approach to roster management. Cal seems to think it is a sustainable model which seems really unsound particularly considering all the quality graduate transfers and veteran players floating around as free agents.

In some ways Cal has coached quite well to integrate a new set of star freshmen into his lineup every year. However, it is ridiculous the age differential between the UK players and most other teams. It is hard to figure the advantage of the kiddy corps approach to roster management. Cal seems to think it is a sustainable model which seems really unsound particularly considering all the quality graduate transfers and veteran players floating around as free agents.

It only works if he gets a John Wall or Anthony Davis.

I mean if they can get a Lebron James or Carmelo Anthony type player, they can win it all. However, that doesn't happen very often so I agree with your post.

This is what eventually happens when your primary goal is to recruit NBA talent and secure a high draft pick for them (and then use that as your main recruiting pitch) rather than win basketball games at UK.

At first blush, it sounds like those goals complement one another, and early on in his tenure it definitely seemed to, but they aren't the same goal. It isn't necessarily Cal's job to put guys in the NBA. It is to win games at Kentucky.

Reactions: VolDave53
What reason does he have to care? It’s Kentucky on fault they’re in this situation. He’s bad enough to be fired but they can’t because they gave him a ridiculous contract.
His buyout of much, much less than Jimbo Fishers was. People hear and say he has a “lifetime” contract, but it’s not that.

Reactions: VolNExile
Eh, I am not a Pearl fan at all, but he’d be an upgrade. He’s done more recently than Cal
Pearl would without a doubt be an upgrade. Cal just knows how to recruit the top talent. Cal needs a generational talent that can dominate the sport like Rose or AD while Pearl actually knows how to coach up his kids.

Nothing. Kentucky basketball is in a perfect situation. I hope they stay like this for years.
Actually, I disagree. There's not nearly enough wrong with UK basketball yet. Still a lot of work to do in order to reach rock bottom. Hope they keep digging. I've got extra shovels if they need extras.

Reactions: Sivad and VolNExile

VN Store

Back