What is Tom Brady's place among the 5 greatest QBs in NFL history?

Brees and Rogers don't belong in the Top 5 All-Time
Lack of championships hurt. Great numbers, but numbers ain't everything.

Unitas & Elway should take their spots in top 5.

Then add Brees, Rogers, Marino, Bradshaw, and Young.
Rodgers is top 5, along with Brady, Montana, Manning and Elway.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Brady was not head and shoulders above Manning and other peers like Rogers and Brees stat wise. The only area he was above his peers was his team’s Super Bowl record and that will always be the debate. Brady’s stats during the Pats first three SB seasons were below the league average. Manning won more MVPs which suggest he was more valuable to his team. Rogers has as many MVPs if not more than Brady- can’t remember. Sorry, the Pats were going to win the first 3 SBs with or without Brady and certainly the SB vs the Rams with only 13 points.
I don't know if they beat the Rams without Brady. BS take. Go back and watch the drive that got them to FG range

Reactions: NashVol11
Rodgers is top 5, along with Brady, Montana, Manning and Elway.

No way. Maybe talent-wise but he just doesn't have the resume. Only one super bowl appearance on a team that was really good basically every year, and he's not getting it done with his stats, either. The 4 MVP's are really nice, but I don't think that's enough. I'd rather have Marino, who only had 1 SB appearance and 1 MVP, but was light years ahead of everybody else in his generation as a passer. Was there a single year where any of us would have said with certainty that Rodgers was the best QB. It was always Peyton, Tom, or Mahomes.

No way. Maybe talent-wise but he just doesn't have the resume. Only one super bowl appearance on a team that was really good basically every year, and he's not getting it done with his stats, either. The 4 MVP's are really nice, but I don't think that's enough. I'd rather have Marino, who only had 1 SB appearance and 1 MVP, but was light years ahead of everybody else in his generation as a passer. Was there a single year where any of us would have said with certainty that Rodgers was the best QB. It was always Peyton, Tom, or Mahomes.
Yeah, there's been years when Rodgers was the best QB. Any of us? That's laughable. Marino wasn't light years better as a passer than everyone in his generation. Plenty of people I know would say Rodgers was the best QB a number of single years.

Yeah, there's been years when Rodgers was the best QB. Any of us? That's laughable. Marino wasn't light years better as a passer than everyone in his generation. Plenty of people I know would say Rodgers was the best QB a number of single years.
If we're going by resume Terry Bradshaw 4 time Super Bowl Champion and Troy Aikman 3 time Super Bowl Champion.... I love Peyton Manning but if you lined them up and said choose Rodgers would be the one I would pick...

I also think Unitas has to be near the top of any GOAT conversation. He had the titles and was head and shoulders above his peers as a passer. He was a decade ahead of the game

Reactions: 05_never_again

I guess you are the exception.

Rodgers is an elite talent, but he's not those other guys. Just look at his road record. It's unbelievable that he only came out of the NFC one time. It hasn't been a great conference and his prime occurred during a QB drought.

Here are the QB's/teams who won the NFC since Rodgers only SB bid. Not exactly murderers row. I get if it's Brady and the Pats dominating. That's not what happened in the NFC

Screenshot_20230908-110153_Chrome.jpg

"Not the best any single year" "not getting it done with his stats" what?????????

Man has almost 5x as many TDs as picks and probably the highest passer rating of any QB ever

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 2.05.10 PM.png

Manning: 539 TDs, 251 INTs, 96.5 rating
Rodgers "not getting it done with his stats": 475 TDs, 105 INTs, 103.6 rating

"Not the best any single year" "not getting it done with his stats" what?????????

Man has almost 5x as many TDs as picks and probably the highest passer rating of any QB ever

View attachment 577152
He has great stats but he's not like Marino or Unitas or Peyton where he was breaking new ground. The stats comment was more about where he is on the all-time lists. He's a generation after Peyton, was healthier, and isn't going to pass him unless he plays until he's 44+.

Which year are you going into the season taking him over Brady, Peyton, or Mahomes?

He has great stats but he's not like Marino or Unitas or Peyton where he was breaking new ground. The stats comment was more about where he is on the all-time lists. He's a generation after Peyton, was healthier, and isn't going to pass him unless he plays until he's 44+.

Which year are you going into the season taking him over Brady, Peyton, or Mahomes?
Heading into 2012 is an easy one, where he had won a Super Bowl and then gone 45 TDs/6 INTs/MVP while Peyton had neck issues and Brady hadn't won anything in a decade, but I'm sure there are plenty more

Reactions: n_huffhines
Manning: 539 TDs, 251 INTs, 96.5 rating
Rodgers "not getting it done with his stats": 475 TDs, 105 INTs, 103.6 rating

The league was very different in the 90's. Teams accepted way more risk throwing the ball. Peyton came into a league where a 2:1 ratio was really good, went through the growing pains of being a rookie QB on a terrible team (not a very common occurrence at the time), and then made a 3:1/4:1 ratio the standard by the time Rodgers took his first snap.

Last edited:
The league was very different in the 90's. Teams accepted way more risk throwing the ball. Peyton came into a league where a 2:1 ratio was really good, went through the growing pains of being a rookie QB on a terrible team (not a very common occurrence at the time), and then made a 3:1/4:1 ratio the standard by the time Rodgers took his first snap.
Sure, but they were also drafted 7 years apart. Manning was still throwing 16-17 picks in 2009 and 2010 when Rodgers was throwing 7

Sure, but they were also drafted 7 years apart. Manning was still throwing 16-17 picks in 2009 and 2010 when Rodgers was throwing 7

Yeah, he had neck and shoulder problems. Rodgers had a 2:1 last year with his injuries, too.

They are definitely a generation apart. Sports generations are short and the league was so different. I bet 80%+ of the guys Peyton got drafted with were gone by the time Rodgers took his first snap. He's 8 years younger and didn't start taking hits for 10 years after Peyton's first licks.

Last edited:

Rodgers is an elite talent, but he's not those other guys. Just look at his road record. It's unbelievable that he only came out of the NFC one time. It hasn't been a great conference and his prime occurred during a QB drought.
No, not an exception. A number of players, former players and coaches have stated in several different years he was the best in that given year. You know, people who forgot more about the game than you know about it. Sorry.

Edit: the claim you made about Marino is ridiculously uninformed. You're probably too young to know any better

Football is also a team game, and it is more of a team game than a sport like basketball, where I think the "so-and-so should have more titles" argument is often more valid. QB is the most important position on the field, but it isn't more important than all the other positions combined.

GB's issues with defense and an inability/unwillingness to get weapons for Rodgers, especially the final few years he was there, are pretty well-documented. That is the biggest reason he doesn't have multiple SBs, IMO. If you look at the list of NFC QBs who made it to the SB that @n_huffhines posted, yes, Rodgers is better than those guys. Was GB often a better team than the NFC team that did make it? Maybe in some of those years you can make an argument that they were, but I don't think they were in a majority of them.

He gets used by the 49ers (and NFC West) like a rented mule in the playoffs.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Mahomes record on the road 33-9 (31-7 at home)
Brady record on the road 113-55 (138-29-1 at home)
Peyton record on the road 85-48 (102-31 at home)
Rodgers record on the road 59-56 (91-23-1 at home)

My top 5 NFL Quarterbacks Of All Time:

Bradshaw
Namath
Starr
Manning
Staubach

There is simply no way that Brady isn't in a Top 5 all-time QB list. That's a laughable assertion. I understand we all have a Peyton bias and that he and Brady were rivals, but come on.

Also for those of you arguing that Brady isn't the greatest of all time, here is a very interesting article making the case that Brady's career when broken down into 3 different eras would lead to his HOF induction for each of those eras alone, much less all of them together.

His Super Bowl victory in Tampa cemented the legacy even more. He won at an advanced age without Belichick, something a lof of people argued he couldn't do and that Belichick was the only reason for his success (I would argue the opposite of that looking back on Belichick's draft history and results without Brady).

My Top 5

1.) Brady
2.) Montana
3.) Peyton
4.) Unitas
5.) Marino

No, not an exception. A number of players, former players and coaches have stated in several different years he was the best in that given year. You know, people who forgot more about the game than you know about it. Sorry.

Edit: the claim you made about Marino is ridiculously uninformed. You're probably too young to know any better

What are you talking about? You are right that I am only old enough to have seen the 2nd half of his career, but I know what kind of roster he was blessed with, I can look the stats up, and I can pull up youtube and see that he has a better arm + release than anybody I've ever seen. He put up 48 TD's in 1984 and that record stood for over 20 years. He and Fouts passed for 40+ more YPG than everybody else in the 80's and he had 50 more TD's (fewer INT's) than Fouts in just 2 more games. He also didn't take sacks. His sack number may be the most incredible mark of his career. It's that quick-release cannon that saved him.

So please tell me why you think he wasn't ahead of the game as a passer?

1694204102927.png

Last edited:

VN Store

Back