What is CBJ's biggest shortcoming so far?

Or why Urban Meyer had so many struggles early in his tenure at Utah, or at Florida, or at OSU. Totally valid excuse.

He thinks everything has to have a theme or a cliche.. Shut up and coach.. I don't have to reminded every day this is team 119.. Or the power of the position.. Just win

Reactions: 2 people
i really don't want to be asked each season to do something different.by our head coach as fan participation like:

Fist up on 4th down
Chant rocky Top after a first down
Third down for what

I get singing Rocky Top after scoring and yelling.. But thats my choice and not stressed by my coach...

His unwillingness to lay it all on the table and let his players make big plays.

He is so conservative, it's almost like he expects to lose. Lay it down, man!

Or why Urban Meyer had so many struggles early in his tenure at Utah, or at Florida, or at OSU. Totally valid excuse.

You really need to take a closer look at the rosters and records of the guys he followed. Dudes a cherrypicker as we used to call guys making cleanup plays in bball back in the day

There's a fine balance between being intense and being too tight.... between being disciplined and being stubborn... between being self-confident and too proud.

Right now, I'd say Jones is on the wrong side of all three.

Jones has had attrition by guys who couldn't conform to the program... I wonder how much the program would have had to bend to keep those guys? Hendrix and Helm would be handy right now.

The other thing is that his offensive system seems to be too difficult. Here in the third year, they are limited in what they can run because they can't execute it.

Harping a little but UF's players may lack a little in real talent but are executing McElwain's system pretty well.

Supposedly Clawson's system was so complex the players could not learn and execute it... I wonder if that's the case now too?[
/QUOTE]

I think I've been saying this for 2 years now. :) They have tried to teach the WR every position instead on teaching them to be great at 1. Dobbs has a checklist of 40 things to do. KISS would work best. That is what McElwain has done.

I would like to see Dormandy and Dobbs in at the same time while rotating both our running back. Dobbs has the legs the brains and Dormandy the arm we are lacking. If Dormandy could hit Dobbs a few time with some 20 or 25 yard passes it would open up our game and I think Dobbs open field running would be something to watch. Having both in at the same time would give us the offence we need to finish out a game, pick up first downs and hold onto the ball late into the 4th quarter.

Reactions: 1 person
Our QB talent pool sucks. It's 3 years into his UT career and he doesn't have a quarterback he can count on to pick up a first down with his arm when the pressures on. That's why we can't close out games.

That's what I would say.

Not recruiting in FL. If Maclwain can do what he is doing with a team full of 3 stars from florida, i want the three star florida kids

Our QB talent pool sucks. It's 3 years into his UT career and he doesn't have a quarterback he can count on to pick up a first down with his arm when the pressures on. That's why we can't close out games.

That's what I would say.

Here's hoping Guarantano fixes the pressure problem.

You really need to take a closer look at the rosters and records of the guys he followed. Dudes a cherrypicker as we used to call guys making cleanup plays in bball back in the day

Dan Blackney at Bowling Green, when Meyer took over a 2-9 team and went 8-3 in year one?

Ron McBride at Utah, who left him a 5-6 team that he went 10-2 with?

Zook? Luke Fickell? I don't see it.

I think his biggest shortcoming is that he has too much pride to surround himself with a staff that will challenge him. He cares more about having his yes-men around him because he's too prideful to admit that he is not an offensive genius and his scheme is not perfect.

Dan Blackney at Bowling Green, when Meyer took over a 2-9 team and went 8-3 in year one?

Ron McBride at Utah, who left him a 5-6 team that he went 10-2 with?

Zook? Luke Fickell? I don't see it.

well....your post mentioned Utah and UF that is what I was referring to....I said a closer look, not a sideways glance.

McBride is pretty much credited with rebuilding that program....he was there a long time and did have an up and down tenure...but they did go 8-4 the year before that 5-6 season and the D coordinator remained....a guy who is the HC now...so, there is more to this story than Meyer alone.

Zook...come on, just about everybody will credit the guy with bringing in talent....he won more than he lost plus the SEC-E his second year

Fickell...really...he followed Tressel...Fickell was a year stand in.

Point is....other than maybe BG,which I can't address fully without delving deeper, he doesn't go to places in need of a full rebuild. Smart guy....he cherry picks his jobs because he can. Very good coach, but I'd like to see what he would do in a true rebuild.

I do agree that he needs to seriously take a look at some of his coaching philosophy in some regards; however, unless Helm was playing on the OL that dog don't hunt....Dobbs can't hardly complete a pass when he has time but when he throws to Wolf the dude is money every time...our problems aint at TE. Hendrix may have been able to provide valuable time on the DL but we really don't know that yet.

I, for one, think this comes down to execution as much as anything...the youth and inexperience in multiple, not just one, key position has shown in the first 2 losses. Now, if that is solely due to coaching....then I would tend to agree....but I think it is a little more than that...in and of itself.
Two baseline problems IMO.

One is the system. It takes too long and requires too much to master.

The bigger one though is that Jones coaches tight in big games. His players respond... and together they choke. That's why he can't win the big, winnable games.

But he's tightly wound all of the time... so I'm not sure he can ever change who he is.

Could be, most of the team were not recruited to play under Jones system.

Jones recruited most of the guys currently playing... and they still can't execute it. For most, it is the only system they've known in college.

Saturdays. That seems to be his biggest shortcoming. He can't figure out anything on Saturdays.

One of the things I really liked about Wilcox is that he said his system was easy for his players to learn and understand but difficult for opposing O's to figure out.

I don't think anyone could claim that Wilcox had more to work with than Jancek does now. His D's performed better statistically. They got almost no help from the O in his two years.

You need to build a team from the inside out, until we dominate both sides of the line we will struggle.

VN Store

Back