What is CBJ's biggest shortcoming so far?

2_3910275.jpg

You get a like.

All you guys are doing is starting the same thread over and over again with no other purpose than to trash butch jones. You couldn't have started a thread about what he did right could you? That would have been much more interesting, but would not have served your agenda. No you just need to feel better about yourselves

I have one agenda... to see UT with a championship caliber coach winning championships.

I assure you that I DON'T feel better having to face the failures of Jones. I look forward to every fall. Unfortunately, the excitement of 5 weeks ago is buried under 3 collapses. I would far rather be talking about how Jones has broken out and will lead 5-0 UT into a showdown with UGA. But that ain't where we are... and it ain't by accident or bad luck. This is the product of Jones' coaching and management of the program to date.

We've talked plenty about what he's done well. But when put in the balance... it hasn't been enough to produce wins.... in VERY winnable games. And that isn't just this year. It is a pattern from his first season til now.

He has choked in every big game since coming to UT except for some odd reason... USCe.

Reactions: 3 people
There's a fine balance between being intense and being too tight.... between being disciplined and being stubborn... between being self-confident and too proud.

Right now, I'd say Jones is on the wrong side of all three.

Jones has had attrition by guys who couldn't conform to the program... I wonder how much the program would have had to bend to keep those guys? Hendrix and Helm would be handy right now.

The other thing is that his offensive system seems to be too difficult. Here in the third year, they are limited in what they can run because they can't execute it.

Harping a little but UF's players may lack a little in real talent but are executing McElwain's system pretty well.

Supposedly Clawson's system was so complex the players could not learn and execute it... I wonder if that's the case now too?

I do agree that he needs to seriously take a look at some of his coaching philosophy in some regards; however, unless Helm was playing on the OL that dog don't hunt....Dobbs can't hardly complete a pass when he has time but when he throws to Wolf the dude is money every time...our problems aint at TE. Hendrix may have been able to provide valuable time on the DL but we really don't know that yet.

I, for one, think this comes down to execution as much as anything...the youth and inexperience in multiple, not just one, key position has shown in the first 2 losses. Now, if that is solely due to coaching....then I would tend to agree....but I think it is a little more than that...in and of itself.

Last edited:
I have one agenda... to see UT with a championship caliber coach winning championships.

I assure you that I DON'T feel better having to face the failures of Jones. I look forward to every fall. Unfortunately, the excitement of 5 weeks ago is buried under 3 collapses. I would far rather be talking about how Jones has broken out and will lead 5-0 UT into a showdown with UGA. But that ain't where we are... and it ain't by accident or bad luck. This is the product of Jones' coaching and management of the program to date.

We've talked plenty about what he's done well. But when put in the balance... it hasn't been enough to produce wins.... in VERY winnable games. And that isn't just this year. It is a pattern from his first season til now.

He has choked in every big game since coming to UT except for some odd reason... USCe.

His coaching could have been a bit more aggressive....but, as I've said...and other paid to make these assessments have as well....some of his decisions may be due to the youth and inexperience in key positions.

Execution at critical stages has been lacking....due to youth, inexperience and talent for the most part. You, yourself, have lauded Butch for his development....so, maybe truth of the matter is....we are still a year away from having the horses necessary to close games out.

All you guys are doing is starting the same thread over and over again with no other purpose than to trash butch jones. You couldn't have started a thread about what he did right could you? That would have been much more interesting, but would not have served your agenda. No you just need to feel better about yourselves

Well, I just thought it would be good to talk about the areas he needs improvement in.

We may not agree of this subject, but I love Double D's, too, my man, so we got that at least.

Adapting to his current players. A pro coach can afford to be wedded to a system because the roster can be turned over quicker but he is stuck with these guys for a few years. Say what you will about Kiffin but he figured a way to make Crompton work. Butch keeps sending square pegs into round holes.

Adapting to his current players. A pro coach can afford to be wedded to a system because the roster can be turned over quicker but he is stuck with these guys for a few years. Say what you will about Kiffin but he figured a way to make Crompton work. Butch keeps sending square pegs into round holes.

Myth. Crompton was awful vs UCLA and Auburn in '09 and basically cost us both games. His stats were padded vs Western Ky and other bad teams including South Carolina and Georgia (who was bad in '09).

I always feel like we come out with a good game plan. Honestly, this year we have come out in every game with a GREAT game plan.

I think player effort is there.

I think Butch lacks confidence in his players. I don't blame him for the most part, but I think that is his biggest shortcoming. When we take the lead he is more afraid of his players making mistakes than trying to be aggressive and win the game.

Over time, I think this problem will fix itself.

Reactions: 1 person
Our QB talent pool sucks. It's 3 years into his UT career and he doesn't have a quarterback he can count on to pick up a first down with his arm when the pressures on. That's why we can't close out games.

That's what I would say.

I think it is the style of offense we play. We need the pro style offense. That's what will get you the top WRs and QBs in the country. I think what we do now, no top WR will come here. If your a top WR and you watch the way we play would you come here. I think Hurd would be even better in a pro style offense. Get him a full back and I think he would be one of the best running backs in the country.

Reactions: 2 people
I think it is the style of offense we play. We need the pro style offense. That's what will get you the top WRs and QBs in the country. I think what we do now, no top WR will come here. If your a top WR and you watch the way we play would you come here. I think Hurd would be even better in a pro style offense. Get him a full back and I think he would be one of the best running backs in the country.

Do you follow recruiting? Tee Higgins is definitely one of the top WR's in '17, just as Preston Williams was for '15... and as for QB's? How about Hunter Johnson #1 QB for '17?

Sorry, but the facts do not support what you are saying at all.

Our QB talent pool sucks. It's 3 years into his UT career and he doesn't have a quarterback he can count on to pick up a first down with his arm when the pressures on. That's why we can't close out games.

That's what I would say.

I would say its the fact that he's married to his system, and completely unwilling to adapt it to the SEC. Also that he is unwilling to go out and get the best coordinators he can and let them run their part of the show and just be the face of the program and recruit his ass off. How different is VolNation today if Sonny Cumbie is our OC/QB coach? I would bet everything I own that we would be 4-1 at the very least. Instead we made a hire that is almost malpractice, it was so bad.

There's a fine balance between being intense and being too tight.... between being disciplined and being stubborn... between being self-confident and too proud.

Right now, I'd say Jones is on the wrong side of all three.

Jones has had attrition by guys who couldn't conform to the program... I wonder how much the program would have had to bend to keep those guys? Hendrix and Helm would be handy right now.

The other thing is that his offensive system seems to be too difficult. Here in the third year, they are limited in what they can run because they can't execute it.

Harping a little but UF's players may lack a little in real talent but are executing McElwain's system pretty well.

Supposedly Clawson's system was so complex the players could not learn and execute it... I wonder if that's the case now too?

Could be, most of the team were not recruited to play under Jones system.

VN Store

Back