What irritates you the most at restaurants?

And as long as you're not looking for privacy there is typically good conversation at the bar. Plus I love watching bartenders build craft cocktails.

My wife and I used to sit at the bar plenty before having a kid. It's probably easier for us to talk there than across a table or booth in a loud dining room, and service tends to be better as long as it isn't slammed.

Idk about everyone else but if my $60 steak arrives and I'm only halfway through my side salad, take the rabbit food away. I'm here for the steak.

This. I have never worked at a restaurant, but i know that servers aren't mind readers. Fast eater? Why not tell them? Want time to finish ypur salad? Tell them. Or hope they can read your mind and get angry when of course, they can't.

Things that bother me...

Rude people that act like they own their server as their personal slave, and talk down to them. No right. None. In my experience, these same people are usually the cheapest tippers or flat out no tippers, too. So double trashy. Nice. Never mistreat anyone that's gonna handle your food, b3lieve me , they can trash your food without you knowing...e coli and such.

People too cheap to tip, so i feel obligated to make up for them with my tip. First time this happens, last time I go out to eat with them.

People that are never satisfied. I have an in law, that roughly 75% of the time we go to a nice restaurant sends her food back. Usually mak3s a fuss and ends up getting her meal taken off the bill. No way her food is messed up all the time. She's just beimg difficult at best, and stealing at worst. Trashy. Yay vacation every year.

The aforementioned lazy moms and dads that let their kids ruin everyone elses dinner. Terrible. Should be ashamed. My mom wpuld have taken me to the restroom and beaten the fool out of me, and did more than once.

Did i mention people that don't tip? If you can't afford a 15 t0 20 percent tip, you cant afford to go out to eat. Period. Get fast food. That poor little girl is making 2.13 an hour, 2hich the government takes...so tips are the only money she makes. Nobody who has ever worked a job that receives tips does this, they understand. This thread could turn ugly quick if we got into who does and doesn't tip, but my wife used to wait tables...and there are certainly "trends " to put it mildly. Ypur waitress can guess what your tip is going to be by looking at you before you eat with about 90% accuracy ifbshe has been doing her job for a while.

Life is too short to mistreat people. I worked for tips in HS at a carwash. Made good money. Rookies grab all the Mercedes, BMW, lexus...nope. there's a reason most of those people are rich, b3cause they're cheap, or greedy. I grabbed every Camry, accord, Ford Taurus ...working class people. Usually get 1 or 2 bucks every car
Made 100 bucks every Saturday in tips. Many of those middle class folks worked for tips when they were younger, and appreciated my hustle and attention to detail cleaning their cars...

Don't treat your server any differently than you would if she were your daughter...or your Pastor or bosses daughter. Because she is SOMEBODIES daughter, and you are no better than her...in any way.

Reactions: 4 people
Nasty restroom floors.

Fun fact: A couple of decades ago I read the a newsletter from a Tennessee agency (can't remember which one) on restaurant sanitation.

What got/gets walked out of many, stuck on your shoes, would make you want to walk through chlorine before getting back in your car.
The highest incidence of human fecal choloform above the floor is on the inside handle of restroom doors and the toothpick dispenser from folk who don't wash their hands.😱

Bleeeech!!!🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Idk about everyone else but if my $60 steak arrives and I'm only halfway through my side salad, take the rabbit food away. I'm here for the steak.

exactly - why fill up on bread and salad and take half the entree home ?

I don't do salads at restaurants but I can eat all the bread and I'm still cleaning up that steak.

I find it funny people in this thread want folks to present their servers with a hand book for their desires. I want to see someone sit down and say to the server:

"Hey there. Hope all is well. I just want to make sure you're aware of how I like to eat dinner. I expect you to write down my order and not try to memorize it. Then, I'd like my app and salads served in a timely manner. Within 3 minutes of finishing my salad, I want my entree to be served. The entire time I'm here, I also expect my sweet tea to never get below half way finished. Also, when I'm down to my last bite, I want my check delivered while you're bringing another tea to the table."

I'm sure that'll go over well.

Reactions: 2 people
I find it funny people in this thread want folks to present their servers with a hand book for their desires. I want to see someone sit down and say to the server:

"Hey there. Hope all is well. I just want to make sure you're aware of how I like to eat dinner. I expect you to write down my order and not try to memorize it. Then, I'd like my app and salads served in a timely manner. Within 3 minutes of finishing my salad, I want my entree to be served. The entire time I'm here, I also expect my sweet tea to never get below half way finished. Also, when I'm down to my last bite, I want my check delivered while you're bringing another tea to the table."

I'm sure that'll go over well.
You know you are paying to be served

Was a waiter for a couple of years while in college... man that was a ball buster job. Trying to provide a high level of service just was nearly impossible on busy nights. Bar was upstairs from restaurant, and that trip to fill drink orders ensured you were going to be lagging on your other tables. Most of the time it felt like a track meet trying to keep up. So, yeah, a lot of folks got pissed. So... how a restaurant is managed dictates a customers experience to a large degree.

For me, the best meal out dining was in Bar Harbor, Maine. They capped the reservations to limit the table turnovers at 2 times per night. We got the second sitting and had 3 hours to enjoy the meal. Each course was timed perfectly and there was no pressure to finish... just a great time and very relaxing. And a highlight for me (today) was the chef was Donald Trumps winter season chef in Florida.

Nasty restroom floors.

Fun fact: A couple of decades ago I read the a newsletter from a Tennessee agency (can't remember which one) on restaurant sanitation.

What got/gets walked out of many, stuck on your shoes, would make you want to walk through chlorine before getting back in your car.
The highest incidence of human fecal choloform above the floor is on the inside handle of restroom doors and the toothpick dispenser from folk who don't wash their hands.😱

Bleeeech!!!🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮

Imagine the fecal matter on the serving spoon at the local asian buffet. 😲

Reactions: 1 person
Was a waiter for a couple of years while in college... man that was a ball buster job. Trying to provide a high level of service just was nearly impossible on busy nights. Bar was upstairs from restaurant, and that trip to fill drink orders ensured you were going to be lagging on your other tables. Most of the time it felt like a track meet trying to keep up. So, yeah, a lot of folks got pissed. So... how a restaurant is managed dictates a customers experience to a large degree.

For me, the best meal out dining was in Bar Harbor, Maine. They capped the reservations to limit the table turnovers at 2 times per night. We got the second sitting and had 3 hours to enjoy the meal. Each course was timed perfectly and there was no pressure to finish... just a great time and very relaxing. And a highlight for me (today) was the chef was Donald Trumps winter season chef in Florida.

Do you happen to remember the name of the place in Bar Harbor?
We are going there in September. Very much looking forward to it.

I hate when people get so entitled because they are “a customer in a restaurant that you are serving” that they complain about anything they see as unfit. Defend all you want but that is entitlement and that is what most “older people” hate about “younger people” yet the younger people learned it from somewhere.
I understand wanting a nice place to eat but get over yourself everyone wants to be treated like a human being so don’t complain when you are a little inconvenienced. And tip your waiter or waitress because if you don’t believe it or not.. it says a lot more about you then it does them. But you probably would think thats unthinkable because I mean your somebody and this person is just waiting tables... get out of here.

P.S. I have never been a waiter but I am a human being that understands that people are valuable. Food for thought.

Ok rants over

Reactions: 1 person
This. I have never worked at a restaurant, but i know that servers aren't mind readers. Fast eater? Why not tell them? Want time to finish ypur salad? Tell them. Or hope they can read your mind and get angry when of course, they can't.

Things that bother me...

Rude people that act like they own their server as their personal slave, and talk down to them. No right. None. In my experience, these same people are usually the cheapest tippers or flat out no tippers, too. So double trashy. Nice. Never mistreat anyone that's gonna handle your food, b3lieve me , they can trash your food without you knowing...e coli and such.

People too cheap to tip, so i feel obligated to make up for them with my tip. First time this happens, last time I go out to eat with them.

People that are never satisfied. I have an in law, that roughly 75% of the time we go to a nice restaurant sends her food back. Usually mak3s a fuss and ends up getting her meal taken off the bill. No way her food is messed up all the time. She's just beimg difficult at best, and stealing at worst. Trashy. Yay vacation every year.

The aforementioned lazy moms and dads that let their kids ruin everyone elses dinner. Terrible. Should be ashamed. My mom wpuld have taken me to the restroom and beaten the fool out of me, and did more than once.

Did i mention people that don't tip? If you can't afford a 15 t0 20 percent tip, you cant afford to go out to eat. Period. Get fast food. That poor little girl is making 2.13 an hour, 2hich the government takes...so tips are the only money she makes. Nobody who has ever worked a job that receives tips does this, they understand. This thread could turn ugly quick if we got into who does and doesn't tip, but my wife used to wait tables...and there are certainly "trends " to put it mildly. Ypur waitress can guess what your tip is going to be by looking at you before you eat with about 90% accuracy ifbshe has been doing her job for a while.

Life is too short to mistreat people. I worked for tips in HS at a carwash. Made good money. Rookies grab all the Mercedes, BMW, lexus...nope. there's a reason most of those people are rich, b3cause they're cheap, or greedy. I grabbed every Camry, accord, Ford Taurus ...working class people. Usually get 1 or 2 bucks every car
Made 100 bucks every Saturday in tips. Many of those middle class folks worked for tips when they were younger, and appreciated my hustle and attention to detail cleaning their cars...

Don't treat your server any differently than you would if she were your daughter...or your Pastor or bosses daughter. Because she is SOMEBODIES daughter, and you are no better than her...in any way.
If I could like a post a million times it would be this one. The thought that someone would actually make a thread about this to slam on waiters pisses me off a little bit.

I get a “bad service” but let me tell you guys a story about one of my waitresses.
The waitress was by most of your standards horrible... the food was cold it took a long time to order and the drinks only got filled one time. (You could write all the horrible stuff that pisses you off about your bad waiting experiences) but the reason was because she had bleeding from her early pregnancy and was trying to calm herself down enough to finish her shift because she needed the money for the baby but was trying to not freak out because of the bleeding and didn’t want to tell anyone because she didn’t want to lose her job because the manager was very strict. Now, you could say ohh well the manager is horrrible for being so strict or you could sit there and say “ya know, I don’t know what the persons story is but I am pretty sure they didn’t come to work today just to give me bad service.” Maybe they matter too.

Reactions: 6 people
Do you happen to remember the name of the place in Bar Harbor?
We are going there in September. Very much looking forward to it.

I just did a google map search for the place... I cannot remember the name (we were there ~15 yrs ago) and looking at all the B&Bs listed did not trigger anything. We were 10 mins from the harbor (walking) and that area has the best restaurants, stores and a good place to stay... look at Maples Inn and B&B, that is the area to stay. You will not be disappointed with the visit and be sure to drive/hike to Mt Desert for some great views. We did whale watching trip as well... cold, need to dress warm.

Enjoy.

Nasty restroom floors.

Bleeeech!!!🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮

You don't touch the handle of the bathroom door going out. Use the paper towel you used to dry your hands off with to open then door then toss it in the trash and walk out. There are very few places that don't offer some type of paper towel, instead some awful blower. The movie theater is typically THAT place.

If I could like a post a million times it would be this one. The thought that someone would actually make a thread about this to slam on waiters pisses me off a little bit.

I get a “bad service” but let me tell you guys a story about one of my waitresses.
The waitress was by most of your standards horrible... the food was cold it took a long time to order and the drinks only got filled one time. (You could write all the horrible stuff that pisses you off about your bad waiting experiences) but the reason was because she had bleeding from her early pregnancy and was trying to calm herself down enough to finish her shift because she needed the money for the baby but was trying to not freak out because of the bleeding and didn’t want to tell anyone because she didn’t want to lose her job because the manager was very strict. Now, you could say ohh well the manager is horrrible for being so strict or you could sit there and say “ya know, I don’t know what the persons story is but I am pretty sure they didn’t come to work today just to give me bad service.” Maybe they matter too.

Thread pretty much went how I thought it would. You had a few turds who literally complained about being "over served" at a full service restaurant. Fortunately, the majority came through and called that **** out.

It's a shame some folks can't take the money they don't use on a good tip and buy some class/patience/self awareness with it.

When I waited tables the timing of appetizers, salads and entrees was entirely on the server. If they can't get that right then maybe they aren't in the right job. The restaurant I worked at was as busy as any and we got it right most of the time. If I didn't then I knew my tip would be affected and didn't whine or make excuses when it happened. I usually tip will but know enough about it too figure out where the screw up occurred

How about a bad flight on the way to a restaurant?

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

I'm sure we've all been there. Nothing like your wife/girlfriend sitting there with the "look" on her face, arms crossed, and leg swinging. Then the waiter comes and asks what she'll have and the answer is always, "NOTHING!".

You're already in for a long night so you might as well order what you want. :thud:

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

I'm sure we've all been there. Nothing like your wife/girlfriend sitting there with the "look" on her face, arms crossed, and leg swinging. Then the waiter comes and asks what she'll have and the answer is always, "NOTHING!".

You're already in for a long night so you might as well order what you want. :thud:

Or someone puking at the table next to you

Sorry about that. :)

No, that's horrible. Sorta ruins the mood for the whole restaurant.

That happened to me at Disney on the boardwalk I think the charl housewarming the name . guy said to his wife I don’t feel good and then just unloaded like a volcano

VN Store

Back