What if UT is turned down again?

gruden probably makes more than UT can offer off his ESPN deal + Endorsements. He doesnt have to babysit, recruit, or hurt his image in K-Town if he fails here. The guy can more than likely retire today. This tells me one thing, he doesn't want to be a coach as much as he leads on. It's more of a sales tactic to either 1.) boost his persona on TV for ratings or 2.) he uses it as a raise tactic with his employers. Nonetheless, if he has no interest in UT he needs to stop making misleading statements on tv or radio shows and secondly he needs to release a statement in conjunction with UTAD shooting down the grumors.

Reactions: 1 person
gruden probably makes more than UT can offer off his ESPN deal + Endorsements. He doesnt have to babysit, recruit, or hurt his image in K-Town if he fails here. The guy can more than likely retire today. This tells me one thing, he doesn't want to be a coach as much as he leads on. It's more of a sales tactic to either 1.) boost his persona on TV for ratings or 2.) he uses it as a raise tactic with his employers. Nonetheless, if he has no interest in UT he needs to stop making misleading statements on tv or radio shows and secondly he needs to release a statement in conjunction with UTAD shooting down the grumors.

As you said in the first he says that stuff to keep his name in the lights, and when/if UT offers him 10 million a year he can take that to all the major networks and get more money from them.

Relax? You forget about how our last coaching search ended? To hell with this if they trot Bobo ar Norvell out three I'm done I will find something else to do with my Saturdays. 340 million on renovations and some conference usa coach I'm out. If that is the commitment the university has they should just bulldoze Neyland and give the money Holly W

It simply is whether you believe it or not. Anyone associated with the AD at the time will tell you Hart had CBJ pegged in the top 3-4 from the very beginning. UT never reached out to half the coaches you listed. Maybe you are confusing Fedora with Davis? Butch Davis was never contacted and Bill Cowher is nothing more than a fantasy as well as Lovie Smith. He is currently the coach at Illinois.

You are confusing me with someone else....

2. Requires recruiting nationwide

If this scares you off you have no business being a coach at any level. You may have studs in your back yard but you go get the talent no matter where it is located. But to do this you have to show you know your X's and O's.

"Relax"... I cant count how many times in 2012 I would read "everyone relax sit back and watch Hart make a greeeaaat hire!!"

Lol yeah.. About that.

Relax? You forget about how our last coaching search ended? To hell with this if they trot Bobo ar Norvell out three I'm done I will find something else to do with my Saturdays. 340 million on renovations and some conference usa coach I'm out. If that is the commitment the university has they should just bulldoze Neyland and give the money Holly W

i'll tell you one thing, i pay over 3500$ a year for donations tickets, parking passes...that's on the budget donation level 'trailblazer'. If they hire a crap coach im done. I can use that money on my house. I have skipped 3 football games this year and if it rains saturday i'm skipping that one too. UT just doesn't have the same appeal it once did...a mid-level coach isn't going to do it for me anymore.

Why give more to another piss poor coach like Warlick?

Why give more to another piss poor coach like Warlick?

my bad fixed it

I will just leave this here: Disney earnings Q3 2017

"Disney sees worst day in more than a year as ESPN issues drag cable business"

Reactions: 2 people
Let's say it's 2012 all over again and UT is turned down by, oh let's say, about 10 coaches or so....

What does Currie do? Does he bring back Fulmer similar to how Snyder was brought back to KSU? Or, does he promote Brady Hoke to HC?

What are your thoughts?

Sadly and in a very scary way this could happen. Could.....

Spend more money. It really is that simple. UT may overpay.... but they don't need to go to the bargain aisle this time.

What if? Let's play this game.......

This could happen. UT has no more than a month to do something.

I still believe Butch should've been fired after UGA game to get way out ahead in this process and the program wouldn't look as far down in the dumps as Butch drove it over the last month.

The decision to stick with Butch could have actually pushed some options away.

Do you really think Brady Hoke, a scrambled staff, one less coaching body, players in a system through Spring/ Fall camps under Jones, were going to become the 85' Bears b/c of the absence of the original HC? Take a look at UF and ask "would they have performed like this WITH horse teeth coaching them"? No way they would be that bad.

I've never personally been close to how one of these transitions work, but I honestly don't see the need for th 4-5 weeks of hand wringing we had around here. Now if Currie (read: Boosters etc) was not burning up the phones while Butch was a walking dead man coach, then that's another story. But a public dismissal and public interim do little more than allow the AD to personally and even publicly approach candidates.

I honestly think Currie handled it pretty even handed on the timing aspect. Everyone KNEW it was coming after UGA, that spectacular bye week, and USC. Currie allowed him to own it and showed plenty of respect to his fallen coach. About as professional as possible IMO.

The old saying needs to be heeded right now by us fans ... Patience is a Virtue. We're just going have to wait a few weeks. I don't like it, but that's how it's gonna be.

That is just idiotic, UT never reached out to Bill Cowher, Butch Davis, or Lovie Smith. Did they make attempts at Patterson, Muschamp, and Strong? Yes, and there were some back channel attempts at Gruden but don't confuse CBJ as some 11th hour pick from Big Lots. Most programs fall back to their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice. The timing of the Dooley hire made it nearly impossible to hire a decent coach.

I agree 100%... If you want a top 5 coach you must figure to pay a top 5 salary, and when Butch was fired he was ranked # 20. top 5 right now are 1) Saban: $11,132,000 ($4 million of that was a 1 time bonus); 2) Swinney: $8,504600; 3) Harbaugh: $7,004,000; 4) Meyer: $6,431,240; 5) Rodriquez: $5,631,563. When Butch was fired his salary was $4,110,000. Of course the top coaches have performance bonus clauses in their contracts that can net them millions more, such as the case with Saban.

As I've stated in several of my posts, the reason Hamilton and Hart were turned down in the past wasn't because UT is such a lousy place to coach - it was A) the timing of the search, or B) the $$$ and contract terms being offered at the time, or 3) both. As I recall, after Hamilton fired Fulmer midseason, he made a BIG SPLASH hire when he landed Lane Kiffin and Company. Problem is, he gave Kiffin too big of an advantage in the buyout clause of that contract, and a year later POOF, and he was headed to USC. THAT is when the coaching situation at UT became a "dumpster fire."

Fans burned mattresses and whatever else they could find in the streets of Laredo (Knoxville). I was surprised they didn't march on Washington! I know most were calling for Hamilton and Jimmy Cheek's heads on a silver platter. The coaching search was a total mess. Hamilton and his staff leaked information to raise the hopes of the fanbase one minute... then the news would report the reality of the situation and we would all hit rock bottom, once again. How many of us were calling for Hamilton's head? Probably close to 99%! He was a good fundraiser, but a train wreck of an AD! Gruden was mentioned - NO. A number of other coaches were supposedly contacted and reportedly said "NO!" Then from the burning embers and ashes arose the smiling deer-in-the-headlights Derek Dooley. Dooley did not lead us to greatness, so fans demanded his departure, so Hart finally fired him and brought in the "promising" Butch Jones after another squishy (and need I add "smelly") search process (after Gruden, Strong, and Fedora had turned Hart down).

So, here we are again, but with a new AD leading the search. Question is, will Currie have the brass to get the money brokers to ante up the $7 - $10 million that will be needed to get the coach that has the experience and qualifications that best portray that he has the ability to raise UT football from the cesspool of the SEC and return us to a spot among the SEC royalty? Remember, Currie will also have to get the boys to ante up more $$$ to get high quality OC, DC, and other ACs, as well... otherwise we will have to settle for the Larry Scotts of the coaching community.

In closing, I know Currie is a beancounter, but while counting his beans, I hope he realizes that if he spends a few more beans... that will help the program make many more beans... as well as make the program much better for future generations. GBO... :popcorn:

Last edited:
I truly believe Currie has a very good backup plan. Could be Patterson. If Gruden says no even if Currie threw the bank at him, then I can live with that. At least Currie can say he tried his best.

Either way, I believe we end up with a good coach. I was skeptical about Currie, but the way he is handling this has renewed my faith in him.

Two things:He said $$$ wouldn't be a prohibitive factor, he isn't using a search firm(at this point any way). :good!:

Spend more money. It really is that simple. UT may overpay.... but they don't need to go to the bargain aisle this time.

Overpaying is hiring 2 lowly maids and hope they turn into Cinderella, , paying the first to go away while paying the 2nd , then paying the second to go away! Stop paying 2 coaches at the same time.
And having a bad product.
Pay well enough to a HC that will have your program Good every year and sometimes great
Put the 7-8 million your wasting on 2 duds and hire 1 stud

Let's say it's 2012 all over again and UT is turned down by, oh let's say, about 10 coaches or so....

What does Currie do? Does he bring back Fulmer similar to how Snyder was brought back to KSU? Or, does he promote Brady Hoke to HC?

What are your thoughts?

Go the coordinator route

What are your thoughts?

Coach Cut wont pass on us again.
If everyone else does the go to coach cut. I hopewe dont end up with PJ Fleck...another Butch

Patterson is my number 1a with Mullen 1b......not sure about gruden to be honest and don't see the fan fare there

Patterson/Peterson/Mullen

I'm good with any of those if Gruden says no.

Question I have is, how many coaches would have to say no before we offer Kiffin?

You shutdown the program and wait til the right can offered and will accept. Otherwise Tennessee football will never return to being champions on the field.

VN Store

Back