What I am hearing about reasons for current UT Football dysfunction

Tee went to USC in 2012. Made OC in 2015 after being made Passing Game Coordinator in 2014. He shared play calling duties with Helton because big Bro wanted to get his brother some reps in calling plays too. So, Tee actually was OC two full seasons, before HC Helton let his brother get in the mix.
In 2017, USC posted its highest total offense average (484.1) since 2005, had at least 600 yards of total offense 3 times and ranked fifth nationally in first downs, 13th in total offense and 16th in passing offense. USC set school season records for passing yards (4,157) and passing first downs (192).
He doesn't sound like an inadequate OC.
PAC 12 defenses vs SEC defenses. No comparison.

Oregon and UCLA were before Tee’s OC time at USC.

Talking about us. UT. He said PAC-12 defenses were bad. I'm saying we lost to Oregon twice and seem to never beat UCLA. I get those loses where before his time. But, who could we beat in the PAC-12 during his time?

Talking to local reporters, some ex-players and others, below is what I have been able to gather about current state of football program. Now this all comes from informal chats and people claiming they know this stuff so take is for what it is worth.

1. Fulmer still likes to act like he is the head coach. He meddles into everything from basic practice to game planning, personnel etc. Pruitt is sick of being micro-managed.
  2. There are three factions in coaching staff:
    1. Tee and Jay are Fulmer's boys and they act very much like it too. Tee in particular acts like he is above head coach and has been cause of a lot of friction with in staff.
    2. Pruitt, Friend, Nerdimeyer, Weinke are in another camp. Tee and Jay particularly dislike Nerdimeyer
    3. Derek Ansely, Chaney and Shelton Felton generally stay away from these groups.
  3. Ansley has a weak personality and deflects any pressure to Pruitt. Lacks leadership.
  4. Pruitt micro-manages the offense through Chaney while Tee tries to run his own stuff. Chaney is very disengaged and even does not run a lot of meetings. He was not like this in his previous stunt here. He just stopped caring.
  5. Shelton Felton, Osovet, Brambaugh etc are/were good coaches who are just caught in amazing dysfunction. Brambaugh got fired because he was tired of Pruitt dissing DL all the time and he got into heated argument with Pruitt a lot.
  6. Tee tells people around him that he will be HC here someday and he will run this place like Belichik runs Patriots.
  7. Pruitt will be forced to let go of his guys (Friend gone, Nerdeimeyer and Weinke next). Tee will likely be Co-OC for 2021. Pruitt is fed up with Fulmer and would be happy to take his buyout and leave.
  8. Fulmer has a lot of boosters support and Pruitt still feels like outsider.
  9. Team is completely divided.
The amount of dysfunction and politics at UTAD is disgusting. Fulmer is root of it. Pruitt does not have the personality to be a HC who can handle all this and Tee is an opportunist who is waiting his turn fueling the infighting.
Good grief, that whole write up reminded me of Charlie Brown s teacher talking.

It's because they are synonymous. Tee=Unqualified. It would be the definition of insanity. I'll just be happy once Fulmer is gone.
Listen, it may be true and he'd probably be terrible, but what was the difference between dabo's resume when he was hired, and Tee's right now?

Talking to local reporters, some ex-players and others, below is what I have been able to gather about current state of football program. Now this all comes from informal chats and people claiming they know this stuff so take is for what it is worth.

1. Fulmer still likes to act like he is the head coach. He meddles into everything from basic practice to game planning, personnel etc. Pruitt is sick of being micro-managed.
  2. There are three factions in coaching staff:
    1. Tee and Jay are Fulmer's boys and they act very much like it too. Tee in particular acts like he is above head coach and has been cause of a lot of friction with in staff.
    2. Pruitt, Friend, Nerdimeyer, Weinke are in another camp. Tee and Jay particularly dislike Nerdimeyer
    3. Derek Ansely, Chaney and Shelton Felton generally stay away from these groups.
  3. Ansley has a weak personality and deflects any pressure to Pruitt. Lacks leadership.
  4. Pruitt micro-manages the offense through Chaney while Tee tries to run his own stuff. Chaney is very disengaged and even does not run a lot of meetings. He was not like this in his previous stunt here. He just stopped caring.
  5. Shelton Felton, Osovet, Brambaugh etc are/were good coaches who are just caught in amazing dysfunction. Brambaugh got fired because he was tired of Pruitt dissing DL all the time and he got into heated argument with Pruitt a lot.
  6. Tee tells people around him that he will be HC here someday and he will run this place like Belichik runs Patriots.
  7. Pruitt will be forced to let go of his guys (Friend gone, Nerdeimeyer and Weinke next). Tee will likely be Co-OC for 2021. Pruitt is fed up with Fulmer and would be happy to take his buyout and leave.
  8. Fulmer has a lot of boosters support and Pruitt still feels like outsider.
  9. Team is completely divided.
The amount of dysfunction and politics at UTAD is disgusting. Fulmer is root of it. Pruitt does not have the personality to be a HC who can handle all this and Tee is an opportunist who is waiting his turn fueling the infighting.
Nice fanfiction 🤣

Tee went to USC in 2012. Made OC in 2015 after being made Passing Game Coordinator in 2014. He shared play calling duties with Helton because big Bro wanted to get his brother some reps in calling plays too. So, Tee actually was OC two full seasons, before HC Helton let his brother get in the mix.
In 2017, USC posted its highest total offense average (484.1) since 2005, had at least 600 yards of total offense 3 times and ranked fifth nationally in first downs, 13th in total offense and 16th in passing offense. USC set school season records for passing yards (4,157) and passing first downs (192).

Much like Phil Fulmer, I am sure there was a long line of teams wanting him for either their head coach or offensive co-ordinator after SC let him go. Oh wait ......... and your years are not adding up. Passing game coordinator in 2014, OC for two years - made OC in 2015 so i guess 15, and 16 he was co- coordinator? If he was burning it up - what's he doing here coaching receivers ? His stint as passing coordinator - rings a little hollow too. I am pretty sure when he was totally given the reins - SC's numbers dropped - but I can be educated. I know his wife - had to be on the West Coast - so for him to be here something went South for him. Helton is still there after all. What are you his agent ?

Reactions: 89 VOLS grad
I just came across this thread on a UK board and can shed some light on things. Chip Long was offered the OC job midseason but out of respect to Chaney and the feeling they’d all be out of jobs, he declined and now is at Tulane. Fulmer has been trying to get assistants to do exactly what he did to Majors.

Much like Phil Fulmer, I am sure there was a long line of teams wanting him for either their head coach or offensive co-ordinator after SC let him go. Oh wait ......... and your years are not adding up. Passing game coordinator in 2014, OC for two years - made OC in 2015 so i guess 15, and 16 he was co- coordinator? If he was burning it up - what's he doing here coaching receivers ? His stint as passing coordinator - rings a little hollow too. I am pretty sure when he was totally given the reins - SC's numbers dropped - but I can be educated. I know his wife - had to be on the West Coast - so for him to be here something went South for him. Helton is still there after all. What are you his agent ?
No, he was Passing Game Coordinator in 2014. Became OC in 2015-2018 seasons. Yes, Clay Helton is still there. Tyson(Younger) Helton is HC at WKU. Just passing info. Not trying to change your view on Tee.

The current passing game coordinator at SC was cornerbacks coach at Oregon the past two years. This year he is the conrnerback coach at SC and passing game coordinator. I think their passing game coordinator is an honorarium - that goes to a great recruiter who can help them recruiting receivers more than someone that they count on to spearhead the passing attack. Like I said, I like Tee but he wasn't running anyone's offense that I can see.

Talking about us. UT. He said PAC-12 defenses were bad. I'm saying we lost to Oregon twice and seem to never beat UCLA. I get those loses where before his time. But, who could we beat in the PAC-12 during his time?
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Washington State
Oregon State
Cal

The current passing game coordinator at SC was cornerbacks coach at Oregon the past two years. This year he is the conrnerback coach at SC and passing game coordinator. I think their passing game coordinator is an honorarium - that goes to a great recruiter who can help them recruiting receivers more than someone that they count on to spearhead the passing attack. Like I said, I like Tee but he wasn't running anyone's offense that I can see.
It's also a way to justify paying a good recruiter more - you can coach cornerbacks and oh yeah - we will stick passing game coordinator on you and be able to pay you an extra XXXXXXXX.

Sounds good as an answer. But, do you honestly think our 2017 (4-8) or our 2018 (5-7) could have beat any of those teams? Our 2016 (9-4) would have beat most of them tho.

Fulmer’s ego comes first. Fulmer admitting he F’d up this hire....ain’t gonna happen. He will ride this clown down into the Tennessee Football grave he has helped dig this program into.
I mean damn...Butch was a corky nerd but he recruited great and had 3/4th’s of a clue what he was doing. He didn’t retain DeBord, should’ve promoted Azzani to OC, and got another DC...he didn’t and was thrown out for WAY WAY WAY less of poor coaching than the Pruitt $#!T show that has set school record all time lows.
Hell he beat UGA twice, Florida once but should have been 4 in a row 2014-2017...but he mismanaged the use of the roster just as Pruitt has...yet the man went 34-29 fielded competitive teams against our opponents most his time here, and we had closed the gap on Florida/UGA in the East. He was 21-17 after 3 seasons. Don’t get me wrong...the wheels were coming off because how he screwed his staff hires up going into that last season...he divided the locker room.
Pruitt has not been competitive in any game against BAMA, UGA, or Florida. He has more double digit losses than Dooley and Jones combined. He’s 16-19 after 3 years...can’t even motivate a team to beat Georgia State and Fulmer can’t pull the trigger???
We have fired better HC’s for less. My BJJ school in LA had a huge sign when you entered the mat room from the lobby...Leave Your EGO Here. No EGOS Allowed Beyond This Point. Need to replace that Give My All sign with that because no reason to have an EGO anymore with the product they are delivering with the level of talent on this roster.

Pruitt just called Gruden!

My FBI friend can confirm. Wiretaps indicate that Pruitt called Gruden approximately 30 minutes after UT lost to A&M. And while I can't divulge what was discussed, let's just say they weren't talking about their favorite donut shop. And guess what? Phone call from Gruden to Manning 45 minutes later. It's happening!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Helton's brother is the reason Tyson got the WKU job too. If Tee was all of what you are implying, he would be the head coach at a NON Power 5 school, not Tyson Helton. I noticed you didn't mention Tee's last year at USC when USC went 5-7 and USC's TOTAL OFFENSE WAS 92nd with the PAC12 NOT KNOWN AS D JUGGERNAUTS. Do you think it is a coincidence that USC's O went to **** after Tyson Helton left to become UT's OC??? Yes, USC lost Sam Darnold and JT Daniels was a FR. But, Daniels is a solid QB now at UGA. You aren't biased at all. RIGHT??? LOL

I can see Fulmer trying to help out Tee (HIS BOY) and have him learn under Chaney. I am appreciative to Tee for being one of the reason's UT won a NC. But, he wasn't the main reason and hasn't proved squat as an OC yet, much less, a HC!!!

Fulmer’s ego comes first. Fulmer admitting he F’d up this hire....ain’t gonna happen. He will ride this clown down into the Tennessee Football grave he has helped dig this program into.
I mean damn...Butch was a corky nerd but he recruited great and had 3/4th’s of a clue what he was doing. He didn’t retain DeBord, should’ve promoted Azzani to OC, and got another DC...he didn’t and was thrown out for WAY WAY WAY less of poor coaching than the Pruitt $#!T show that has set school record all time lows.
Hell he beat UGA twice, Florida once but should have been 4 in a row 2014-2017...but he mismanaged the use of the roster just as Pruitt has...yet the man went 34-29 fielded competitive teams against our opponents most his time here, and we had closed the gap on Florida/UGA in the East. He was 21-17 after 3 seasons. Don’t get me wrong...the wheels were coming off because how he screwed his staff hires up going into that last season...he divided the locker room.
Pruitt has not been competitive in any game against BAMA, UGA, or Florida. He has more double digit losses than Dooley and Jones combined. He’s 16-19 after 3 years...can’t even motivate a team to beat Georgia State and Fulmer can’t pull the trigger???
We have fired better HC’s for less. My BJJ school in LA had a huge sign when you entered the mat room from the lobby...Leave Your EGO Here. No EGOS Allowed Beyond This Point. Need to replace that Give My All sign with that because no reason to have an EGO anymore with the product they are delivering with the level of talent on this roster.
Josh Dobbs saved his job. If Dobbs went to GT, Butch wouldn't have made the end of 2015. And if Dobbs were on the roster right now Tennessee would have gone at least 5-5, maybe even 6-4.

Also, Debord was ironically his best hire. The running attack was miles better the two years he was here than it was before or after, and offense as a whole was better as well.

As an alum and fan since the early 1980s, it seems that in recent years, the last 10-12 or so, maybe longer, that Tennessee has not done as good of a job of developing the players and talent they bring to the program compared to other programs. Particularly at quarterback, and I don’t understand why. A number of programs, will graduate a top flight quarterback that is NFL ready, and then the next year, have another quarterback basically ready to go from game 1, with smarts, talent, leadership skills, etc. but that also requires other components to be in place as well like quality wide receivers that can block, an offensive line that can protect its backfield, disciplined enough not to make stupid mental mistakes, etc. I guess one way to tell how good of a job we do is how many qbs are playing on Sundays. Not too many, Joshua Dobbs?

Just have a real bad feeling that Fulmer will name Tee interim coach mid next season to gain favor with ESPN and save his job. Tee will rally the team, beat the cupcakes and lesser SEC opponents and get the interim label removed. Two years later, we will all be on here calling for him to be fired.

VN Store

Back