What do you hear? (Laurel vs Yanny)

Yanny and I can see both colors of the dress, but white/gold was more prominent than blue/black.

It’s (mostly) a frequency thing.

Speakers and/or where you’re getting your feed are honing in on specific frequencies. Your ears can also possibly only hear the one frequency

This. It's not that the recording is different, but the devices you are hearing it from are different, which is why sometimes you hear Laurel and sometimes you hear Yanny. It's also why most older people hear Yanny and most kids hear Laurel.

This morning I heard Yammy (not Yammy) and now hear Laurel. My wife was just the opposite

I did it again. This time laurel. I think it flips back and forth. Some kind of algorithm.

It’s (mostly) a frequency thing.

Speakers and/or where you’re getting your feed are honing in on specific frequencies. Your ears can also possibly only hear the one frequency

I think that's why I heard it differently when they played it on HQ.

This. It's not that the recording is different, but the devices you are hearing it from are different, which is why sometimes you hear Laurel and sometimes you hear Yanny. It's also why most older people hear Yanny and most kids hear Laurel.

Interesting.

This time I heard Laurel. I tried with headphones and the computer speakers and on 2 different browsers.

I think there are 2 recordings that are on some sort of timer.

Ok....

Sent the link to my girl friend. Her and her mom listened to it at the same time.

GF heard Laurel. Her mom heard yanny.

Hmmmmm.

I still hear Laurel and I'm always right, so there's that 😆

Yanny and all you Laurels are WRONG WRONG WRONG.

And the dress was gold and white.

Just listened to it again and heard Yanny this time. I certainly think there are 2 recordings on here...

Well the creator spoke out and said it’s Laurel.

I just listened to it again and totally hear Laurel and the voice is completely different.

I listened to the same recording twice. Once at work on my computer w headphones and it was clearly laurel. When I listen on my iPhone speaker it’s yanny and sounds more high pitched. Weird

We played it over and over and over tonight. On first listen, my wife heard Laurel and my two daughters and I heard Yanny, all of us thinking it was clear as a bell. After several times listening closely I started making out the deeper voice saying Laurel underneath the more tinny voice saying Yanny. Then Laurel took over and I haven't clearly heard Yanny since. How weird is that?

To try to get my daughters to hear Laurel, I held the phone we were listening on in my lap and leaned over it, muffling the sound. When it was muffled, both my daughters heard Laurel (they freaked out). Playing again unmuffled, one went back to Yanny and the other stayed with Laurel. My wife never did hear Yanny.

What a strange effect.

From my phone speaker I hear Yanny every time. Put headphone in and I hear Laurel. From my computer speakers I hear Laurel.

Now here it something crazy... when I had my wife listen through headphones I could hear Yanny coming from them at a distance. As I brought them closer it back to my ear it changed back to Laurel.

My wife hears yanny no matter what.

My 7 year old hears Laurel no matter what.

My 5 year old says “it kinda sounds like an alien”.

Also, here is the original clip before the reddit user distorted it for the illusion.
laurel - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com

It is always Laurel for me even on phone speaker and still Yanny for my wife no matter what.

The first couple of times I heard it, I heard Yanny, but as I continued to listen to it I heard Laurel. Then that was all I could hear. It is the auditory version of that dress picture.

I was listening to the same recording on a loop, so I know it was not some multiple recording schenanigans.

VN Store

Back