What did you just finish reading?

Finished Outline, wasnt too awfully impressed a great writer but just not that interesting.

Started The Shards by Bret Easton Ellis. Hope he still has it.

Finished two books this past week.
Gardens of the Moon (First book in Malzan Book of the Fallen) - I thought it was great.
The Wager - Made me glad not to have lived in the 1700's and be in the English Navy.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Its a seminal work but I would argue Rules of Attraction and Glamorama are both better books than American Psycho.
Well I'll try Psycho first since I somewhat know the story. If I can get into his writing style I'll hit up the others. As long as it doesn't remind me of James Joyce or Sinclair Lewis I'm sure I'll be fine. Sadly I do have Ulysses on my classics "to read list" and I am just not sure if I'll ever be able to bring myself to do that.

Reactions: bignewt
David Balducci, The Edge.

And just before that, Max Hastings, Catastrophe 1914, Europe Goes to War

Well I'll try Psycho first since I somewhat know the story. If I can get into his writing style I'll hit up the others. As long as it doesn't remind me of James Joyce or Sinclair Lewis I'm sure I'll be fine. Sadly I do have Ulysses on my classics "to read list" and I am just not sure if I'll ever be able to bring myself to do that.

Ive tried Ulysses. Its a tough nut. I pushed through till it got to the musical format. Now Sinclair Lewis I love.

Just started Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I've read 4 sci fi books in my life (that I remember). The Timothy Zahn Thrawn Star Wars books from the early 90's (which were great when I was a kid) and the Aftermath book from Wendigo which was a streaming pile of garbage.

So far this book is great. Only a handful of chapters in and went out and grabbed the rest of the series so I can finish them one after another.

Just started Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I've read 4 sci fi books in my life (that I remember). The Timothy Zahn Thrawn Star Wars books from the early 90's (which were great when I was a kid) and the Aftermath book from Wendigo which was a streaming pile of garbage.

So far this book is great. Only a handful of chapters in and went out and grabbed the rest of the series so I can finish them one after another.

Good book.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I really like Main Street.
I'll definitely check it out. I have a few in front of it. There were a lot of good books published in the previous 20s.

I'm rereading the Bhagavad Gita at the moment.
Ive tried Ulysses. Its a tough nut. I pushed through till it got to the musical format. Now Sinclair Lewis I love.
It's a load but it does start to sing after one gets the hang of it. I thought it was a lot easier the second time through, not that I'd necessarily recommend that to others. It's not one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Reading Revenge of Geography by Robert Kaplan.

I think my favorite current writers are Tom King and Ram V. They write comics. They’re really good.

Just finished reading The Sunlit Man by Brandon Sanderson. I started reading his stuff about a year ago. He is a master at world building

Reactions: FLVOL_79
thats a tough read. I think I liked V more.
I believe Against the Day is the only Pynchon novel I havent tried to read. Bleeding Edge was my least favorite, and I thoroughly enjoyed Mason & Dixon and Vineland. Despite the great cast, I was a bit disappointed with the adaptation of Inherent Vice.

I intend to do a second read of V and have never read any of his short stories

Reactions: Orange. and bignewt
I believe Against the Day is the only Pynchon novel I havent tried to read. Bleeding Edge was my least favorite, and I thoroughly enjoyed Mason & Dixon and Vineland. Despite the great cast, I was a bit disappointed with the adaptation of Inherent Vice.

I intend to do a second read of V and have never read any of his short stories

Mason & Dixon is on my list to read

Reading The River Between. Grabbed it from the library without knowing anything about it. I really like it. Going to get more by Thiong’o.

Reactions: bignewt
Finished The Shards. About 200 pages too long but a banger ending. Starting The Guest by Emma Cline.

VN Store

Back