What Card in Your Wallet?

Try to do an Amex cuz its good
For your credit and it's a charge card. Use it like cash, just you HAVE to pay it off every month.

What makes Amex better than Visa, MC, or Discover? Seems like less places accept Amex than the other three.

Reactions: 1 person
What makes Amex better than Visa, MC, or Discover? Seems like less places accept Amex than the other three.

Some small business dont, but I have never had a problem. Amex has good customer service and points system is really good

Also it's a charge card so there is no limit and u pay it off each month.

Reactions: 1 person
I run everything I can through a Chase Freedom Visa and pay it off every month. If they're going to hand me money, I'm going to take it.

Some small business dont, but I have never had a problem. Amex has good customer service and points system is really good

Also it's a charge card so there is no limit and u pay it off each month.

I try to shop at small businesses only, so that would have a major affect on using the card or not. Neither of the jobs I work at accept Amex.

I try to shop at small businesses only, so that would have a major affect on using the card or not. Neither of the jobs I work at accept Amex.

I would still say that's the exception, but see if your main drags accept or not.

Ok, I'll be the nerd. I'm anti-credit card. I believe the Dave Ramsey advice is best.

Dave's got some good ideas but he's not right about everything including credit cards. As I stated above, using a debit card at a gas station or a hotel not only charges money out of your account til they credit it back but can bounce checks and prohibit buyings essentials for your family. Dave's advice is to make your employer front the money but that's not practical. Many employers require you to submit an expense report to get reembursement so the debit card hurts more than helps. As long as you can be disiplined on the cc and paying it off, its a much better alternative than hurting your family while you work

Ok, I'll be the nerd. I'm anti-credit card. I believe the Dave Ramsey advice is best.

I understand the premise is that if you don't have a cc, you are less likely to pull out the cash, therefore saving you 100's or 1000's of dollars a year.

But I like to party a little and free flights help me get there.

Dave's got some good ideas but he's not right about everything including credit cards. As I stated above, using a debit card at a gas station or a hotel not only charges money out of your account til they credit it back but can bounce checks and prohibit buyings essentials for your family. Dave's advice is to make your employer front the money but that's not practical. Many employers require you to submit an expense report to get reembursement so the debit card hurts more than helps. As long as you can be disiplined on the cc and paying it off, its a much better alternative than hurting your family while you work

Mr. Ramsey doesn't tell people to pay for work trips out of a personal checking account. Fact.

Technically My Amex isn't a credit card, it's a charge card because I have to pay it off every month

Mr. Ramsey doesn't tell people to pay for work trips out of a personal checking account. Fact.

then fact us on how he expects you to pay for expenses when you dont have a cc and must put up a card to back your stay at hotels without having upwards of $400 being reserved from your banking account causing your account to possible go negative (there's your 'fact')

then fact us on how he expects you to pay for expenses when you dont have a cc and must put up a card to back your stay at hotels without having upwards of $400 being reserved from your banking account causing your account to possible go negative (there's your 'fact')

Yeah, you definitely showed me on that one. Do you realize that I don't personally give a **** whether you use a credit card or not? I was just posting my personal opinions. I'm sorry you were personally offended and upset by my post.

But for the record, your addressing two separate issues. My fact was that Dave Ramsey doesn't support that idea. Not your personal situation. Do whatever you want. I don't care. I'm not trying to take your card away.

Calm down.

Dave has some good ideas but he really stresses some of this stuff because so many people are just plain irresponsible. A credit card is fine if you pay it off without ever having to pay interest on it.

Dave has some good ideas but he really stresses some of this stuff because so many people are just plain irresponsible. A credit card is fine if you pay it off without ever having to pay interest on it.

You are 100% correct. The problem is almost no one pays them off every month.

You are 100% correct. The problem is almost no one pays them off every month.

Most probably don't. You have to judge if you can or if you can't. Like others on here, I run everything except my mortgage on my CC every month. I know my monthly income and don't spend more than that on it in a given month, I use it just like a check card. The benefits are worth it.

I also used some credit card checks to help get my business started a few years ago, when I needed to use all of my outlets to get rolling. I pay a 4% fee, which is basically interest, so $800 interest on a 20k loan is a low rate loan for 12-18 months. The higher rate kicks in at a certain date, but I never hit that date without it paid off. I can make more than 4% on the money borrowed anyway. I have 3 cc's without a balance, but a pretty big credit limit.

Yeah, you definitely showed me on that one. Do you realize that I don't personally give a **** whether you use a credit card or not? I was just posting my personal opinions. I'm sorry you were personally offended and upset by my post.

But for the record, your addressing two separate issues. My fact was that Dave Ramsey doesn't support that idea. Not your personal situation. Do whatever you want. I don't care. I'm not trying to take your card away.

Calm down.

Well, thanks for setting us straight. You know the "fact" but cant give what his answer is to it. Way to go Mr I-ll-just-rebute-everything-posted guy.

If you actually listed to Dave you'd hear him say his answer is to making your employer front the money. Nice idea but that's the employers call, not the employees.

Dave's got some great ideas - live on less than you make, snowballing debt, personal cc - but there are many holes in his ideas that are not practical.

Might want to make sure you actally know what you're talking about before responding.

Well, thanks for setting us straight. You know the "fact" but cant give what his answer is to it. Way to go Mr I-ll-just-rebute-everything-posted guy.

If you actually listed to Dave you'd hear him say his answer is to making your employer front the money. Nice idea but that's the employers call, not the employees.

Dave's got some great ideas - live on less than you make, snowballing debt, personal cc - but there are many holes in his ideas that are not practical.

Might want to make sure you actally know what you're talking about before responding.

I know those answers. We're done because you are incapable of adult conversation. We're all anxiously waiting on your next string of insults.

VN Store

Back