What can we learn from the oddsmakers?

BruisedOrange

Well... known member
Given the styles of play, I'm wondering (as a non-bettor) what kinds of numbers the oddsmakers are offering on things like over/unders, and any kinds of exotic bets they're offering.

In other words, what's their scouting report on the Tennessee / Creighton matchup?

(I tried looking for this information online, but every site kept offering me bonuses and asking for deposits, till I finally ended up at Gamblers Anonymous, who offered to pray for me when I insisted that I don't have a gambling problem.)

Given the styles of play, I'm wondering (as a non-bettor) what kinds of numbers the oddsmakers are offering on things like over/unders, and any kinds of exotic bets they're offering.

In other words, what's their scouting report on the Tennessee / Creighton matchup?

(I tried looking for this information online, but every site kept offering me bonuses and asking for deposits, till I finally ended up at Gamblers Anonymous, who offered to pray for me when I insisted that I don't have a gambling problem.)
You would have a betting problem Bruised Orange if you consistently bet on the Vols!! :eek:

Pretty much all computer metrics put TN at around a 55% chance to win, and the current Vegas spread is representative of that.

I think this one is as it appears from the oddsmaker perspective.

I think its what you would win or lose betting $100 straight up no spread. So if you bet $100 on Creighton to win and they win you win $130. If you bet $100 on the Vols to win and they lose, you lose $155.
Huh. 🤔 🧮🖐️ I guess my lack of math abilities has saved me from a life of gambling.

With my number skills, I'd need a calculator to pitch pennies.

Scouting reports from the Vegas oddsmakers are what I'm most interested in. But we're stuck with listening to the talking heads on television sports panels give us their pre-game predictions which mean absolutely nothing! Charles Barkley or Clark Kellogg's (et al) predictions are no better than anyone else. The same goes for Kirk Herbstreit, Lee Corso, etc whose bias dictates their worthless prediction. Ignore them.

You would have a betting problem Bruised Orange if you consistently bet on the Vols!! :eek:
Not really. DK was a sure fire over for like 8 straight games. Draftkings has he points set at 20.5 this weekend, and I think it's easy money. Have JA rebound over under set at 7.5. ZZ assist us at 5.5. My mouth is watering for that +600 parlay!!!

Not really. DK was a sure fire over for like 8 straight games. Draftkings has his points set at 20.5 this weekend, and I think it's easy money. They have JA rebound total over under set at 7.5, ZZ assist is at 5.5. My mouth is watering for that +600 parlay

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Not really. DK was a sure fire over for like 8 straight games. Draftkings has he points set at 20.5 this weekend, and I think it's easy money. Have JA rebound over under set at 7.5. ZZ assist us at 5.5. My mouth is watering for that +600 parlay!!!
That's the kind of info I was looking for!

That number for Zeigler's assists sounds like they believe Creighton will be able to keep him from penetrating, and that Vescovi won't be hitting many threes.

Aidoo would need more offensive rebounds to cover that number if Creighton is jacking up threes all night creating long rebounds.

Or, they just think Creighton is going to be successful limiting our number of possessions with their slow play.

Reactions: vols1221
I saw an article on CBS that showed the odds for all the games. We are right on target for a 2 vs matchup. The biggest spread was 10 points for UConn. The bigger the seed difference the bigger the spread. I saw one of the other 2 vs 3 was a 2.0 spread vs our 2.5 spread.

I'm no gambler, but one rule I live by and it's hard and fast....never, ever bet your heart.

I'd suppose the 20.5 pts for DK is an average over the last two MM tourney games where he scored 23 and 18. I do agree its easy money either way.

The Tennessee Volunteers Have Advantages in The Sweet 16
Check Out Creighton vs Tennessee Betting Lines for The Sweet 16 In The Midwest

After a double-overtime win against the Oregon Ducks, the Creighton Bluejays are back in the Sweet 16. Creighton has knocked off Akron and Oregon, but both of those two NCAAB games were against seeds below 10.

This time around, in the Sweet 16, Creighton will be slight underdogs against one of the SEC’s best in Tennessee. The Tennessee Volunteers were the regular season champions of the SEC and have earned back-to-back wins over St. Peter’s and Texas.

While Tennessee looked outstanding against St. Peter’s, it took everything the Vols had against the Longhorns in the Round of 32 to survive and advance.

This Sweet 16 has some big games in the NCAA March Madness schedule. This matchup between Creighton and Tennessee should be one of the better ones in this tournament. This game is on the Midwest Region side of the March Madness bracket.

Tennessee is only a 2.5-point favorite, with the total currently at 143.5. Oddsmakers think this game could finish as a one-score game.

While oddsmakers have their models and opinions, we have them as well. Take a look at the Creighton vs Tennessee betting lines for this Sweet 16 matchup.

Creighton vs Tennessee Betting Lines & Trends
The Creighton Bluejays have been better than Tennessee against the spread this season. Creighton has gone 19-15 against the spread and has hit 17 Overs and 17 Unders this season.

Tennessee has gone 17-16-1 against the spread. The Vols have also hit one more Over than the Under this season.

Both teams added eight wins away from home. These college basketball teams also don’t have a recent history against one another.

Creighton Narrowly Survived The Weekend
The Creighton Bluejays were losing without the ball with under 30 seconds to go. But an Oregon miss at the foul line allowed Creighton to tie in regulation.

And they did.

Eventually, the game went to two overtimes, where Creighton finally took over, adding an 86-73 win.

Creighton won an epic game. It would’ve been difficult if the Bluejays had to play within 48 hours. But instead, Creighton isn’t playing until Friday, March 29. They’ll have time to recover after playing 50 minutes of basketball.

Give Rick Barnes His Flowers
Rick Barnes just racked up more bonus money after Tennessee defeated Texas on Saturday. Not only did Barnes receive $400,000 for the Vols’ regular-season championship, he added $200,000 for the NCAA Tournament bid and $400,000 for a Round of 32 appearance.

He also received a $200,000 bonus for finishing in the Top 10 final AP Poll and would add an additional $600,000 for winning in the Sweet 16.

With an Elite 8 win, he’ll get another $800 million. Barnes is expected to receive $1 million with a Final Four appearance. If he makes the National Championship, it’s another $1.2 million; with a National Championship win, he’ll rake in another $1.5 Million.

It’s well deserved. Senior guard Santiago Vescovi told the media that Tennessee always feels well-prepared and ready to go. That’s ultimately why Tennessee is super high in the NCAA basketball rankings.

Creighton’s Offense Versus Tennesse’s Defense
The NCAAB matchup everyone’s excited for is the Creighton offense against Tennessee’s defense.

The Creighton Bluejays rank 11th in the nation in offensive efficiency. The Bluejays have hit 36.6% from deep and 59.7% from inside the arc. In addition, Creighton has scored 78.4% from the foul line and has turned the ball over just 15.4% of the time this college basketball season.

Creighton won’t dominate the offensive glass and usually doesn’t get to the foul line much, however, Tennessee’s pressure will give up some foul calls. The pressure will also add 18.8% of turnovers per game, holding opponents to 30.9% from deep and 44.1% from inside the arc.

That’s ultimately what the people want to see. Creighton’s dominant inside the arc, but Tennessee is super good at defending inside the arc.

Creighton won’t pressure. Instead, they’ll keep everything in front of them. The Bluejays are the best defense for FTA/FGA.

Creighton has also held teams to 31.7% from deep and 45.7% from inside. That’s above average, but nothing that Tennessee does defensively. However, the Vols aren’t very elite offensively. Tennessee has shot just 33.9% from three and 51.6% from inside the arc.

The Vols should keep turnovers down and likely will add more offensive rebounds. However, Tennessee probably won’t get to the foul line as much as Creighton. That doesn’t help with Tennessee shooting 75% from the charity stripe.

Finally, both teams shoot a high rate of three-pointers. Creighton isn’t used to defending teams that shoot a lot of threes. Meanwhile, Tennessee, coming from the SEC, is way more used to allowing three-pointers. 33.4% of points scored against Tennessee are from threes, while only 25.1% of threes are scored against Creighton.

Therefore, that favors the Vols. Tennessee is more used to playing a team like Creighton. The defense should step up and make Creighton work harder than they’ve worked all year. Plus, you’d have to imagine Creighton will be a little tired after that marathon on Saturday.

Our March Madness bracket predictions have Tennessee escaping with a win over Creighton here. We also like Tennessee to cover the -2.5 spread at -105 per the Creighton vs Tennessee betting lines.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Give Rick Barnes His Flowers
Rick Barnes just racked up more bonus money after Tennessee defeated Texas on Saturday. Not only did Barnes receive $400,000 for the Vols’ regular-season championship, he added $200,000 for the NCAA Tournament bid and $400,000 for a Round of 32 appearance.

He also received a
$200,000 bonus for finishing in the Top 10 final AP Poll and would add an additional $600,000 for winning in the Sweet 16.

With an Elite 8 win, he’ll get another $800 million (??). Barnes is expected to receive $1 million with a Final Four appearance. If he makes the National Championship, it’s another $1.2 million; with a National Championship win, he’ll rake in another $1.5 Million.

Holy Shnikees Batman. Coach Barnes gonna have a really dynamite recruiting cookout at his house this summer if he wins some more games. Put a few more steaks on the grill Coach!!

I think its what you would win or lose betting $100 straight up no spread. So if you bet $100 on Creighton to win and they win you win $130. If you bet $100 on the Vols to win and they lose, you lose $155.

Correct.

You bet 155 to win 100 for Vols to win outright by any amount.

You bet 100 to win 130 on Creighton to win outright by any amount.

It’s called the Money Line and there is no point spread. You just bet on a winner.

Reactions: Tnphil
Holy Shnikees Batman. Coach Barnes gonna have a really dynamite recruiting cookout at his house this summer if he wins some more games. Put a few more steaks on the grill Coach!!
Please, do not mention a popular Tennessee basketball coach and "cookout at his house" in the same sentence!

Also, write larger and use more bold.

VN Store

Back