What Buck Fitzgerald said

Just trying to help those who are too tunnelvisioned to see the whole picture. If you don't want to watch the games to determine your opinion of UT in 2012, its certainly your choice.

Sure, the roster has been at best average (I'd say 2011 had some talent, even with Bray/Hunter injuries). But at some point wins/losses really is all that matters in the grand scheme of college football in today's world, no?

You say "Watch them play". Well I did. I saw them quit twice in the last month, and a team that showed no heart against USClite and Georgia.

Last year close losses might have meant something to me and certainly the year before. This year, win or pls go.

I agree with this sentiment. I don't think the AD does.

If I'm the AD, it's nine wins or bust. If Dooley is any kind of coach, nine wins is easily doable.

The problem is 8-4. Let's say he goes 8-4, with losses to Bama, Arkansas, Georgia, and we will say Florida...and three of those losses are close, competitive games...does he stay? Should he stay? I mean, sure it's better than what we've seen, but, in three years at UT he still hasn't beaten a team of better talent. Does he earn the right for year four? I think the AD says yes.

Sure, the roster has been at best average (I'd say 2011 had some talent, even with Bray/Hunter injuries). But at some point wins/losses really is all that matters in the grand scheme of college football in today's world, no?

You say "Watch them play". Well I did. I saw them quit twice in the last month, and a team that showed no heart against USClite and Georgia.

I've been over last year since last year. That's how players and coaches handle it, and many fans. I said watch them play in 2012, not rewatch 2011 and the ky game that was 6 months ago, rehash, and form an opinion about this team.
Of course you look at wins. But a person of sound reasoning looks at everything. DD's first class at now 20-21 years old, vs 18-19, and I look forward to seeing the difference.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't know if they are mentally tough or not. Because I can point to 2010, when they were 2-6 and had their hearts ripped out against LSU, and won four straight, and 3/4 games weren't exactly easy games, at least for that team.

I think it's fairly obvious, that, for whatever reason, the team quit. Hell, it was even before UK. They quit against Arkansas too. I try not to get embarrassed watching my favorite teams play, because, you know, I'm not on the team, but I felt semi-embarrassed watching them against Arky.

And here's another question. They all are back...so why should I think they become mentally tough now? I don't think it's that simple in terms of whether they are mentally tough or not.

I'm not implying that their mentality was the only reason for their play, it was obviously one in a myriad of factors, however, I do think that it played a significant role.

You say they quit--I say we're talking about the same thing. If a team quits on a coach it quits on itself. For a team to rollover like we did against Ark and like we did even before they stepped on the field in Lexington speaks every bit as much about the players themselves as it does the coach. They're equally responsible, only the one who truly faces the consequences is the coach. That's the way it is.

In order for us to be successful this year, the team and the players have to hold themselves accountable for their play every bit as much as the coaches....and before anyone says anything about DD throwing players under the bus--I know.

UF was one of the few games I felt Tennessee had a coaching advantage

Yes we did as with UGA and maybe USCe but what alot of you all are forgetting is yes 1st string offense and defense we stacked up with everyone in the East. The problem was when injuries hit the 1st string on offense and the defense starting waering out our 2nd string came in and there was where we lost the close games.

Yes they did.

You predicting the future? He said if they win 8 this year they will be underacheiving.

Edit. Nevermind, my bad I got my conversations mixed up. However, without JH and TB on the year no they did not underacheive. The only underacheiving was with the KY game.

Last edited:
Someone who understands football and has sound reasoning wouldn't concern themselves with the past.

Oh really?

So you're saying "someone who understands football" shouldn't look to the past and try to correct their mistakes?? And.....God forbid....learn from them?

You predicting the future? He said if they win 8 this year they will be underacheiving.

Edit. Nevermind, my bad I got my conversations mixed up. However, without JH and TB on the year no they did not underacheive. The only underacheiving was with the KY game.
It's hard to keep up with everything ITT, lol

Someone who understands football and has sound reasoning wouldn't concern themselves with the past.

When you are focused on the present and future, you are correct, even though you were trying to be a smartass again.

If you played a sport or coached, you realize the game and season are over when they are over and you don't rehash. It's obvious who on here gets that and who doesn't.

If you have questions about the above statement, ask Saban a question about last years team and it's affect on 2012 and watch him look at you like you are an idiot.

you guys keep talking about 2010 and 2011, but it's
2012 and this fall has ZERO to do with last year.

And until we have your crystal ball we can't see what will happen this year. So we talk about the recent past and how that is likely to change/not change in the future. Like it or not, 2011 is still very much relevant to the fanbase. It was the last thing we saw regarding our team and left us with a terrible taste in our mouths.

VN Store

Back