What are your favorite John Ward calls of all time?

Post links to YouTube/audio if you can.

98 National Championship and Miracle at South Bend come to mind, along with the 98 Florida game.
Wow, Freak...that might be the most difficult sports question to answer for a Vol fan. JW calls became "instant classics". Many of us were so fortunate to listen to The Voice of the Vols & are better for it. :hi:

Reactions: Tarkus and BigDave
"No...Sir....Ree!! No...Sir...Ree!!!"

This one will always be the sweetest to me because of what this call ultimately meant to that season. Also from the same season...

"Your national champion is clad in big orange!!"

Reactions: 2 people
Loved them all. Big Orange Country was blessed to call you our own. RIP to the Greatest of all Time. John Ward.

Reactions: 1 person
Literally, every game and every call. I grew up in 70's, and some of those seasons weren't so special, but he made them special on the radio. Specifically, for no particular reason, remember I was at a cabin for the weekend w/ my family, listening to Vols lose to Rutgers, then the next weekend, I remember JW describe Hubert Simpson running wild over Notre Dame (4TD's and 227 rushing yards). Also, Chuck Webb's introduction to college football with a win against UCLA in 1989...seemed like he got 10 yards every time John Ward talked.

I'm sure someone will do some interviews with Johnny Majors on John's passing. That would be gold. Johnny also has such a descriptive way he tells stories.

"It's football time in Tennessee!"

Hearing John Ward speak those words in his unmistakable way - We were brought into the immediacy of the present. Everything was possible. Victory was achievable. Every time, my heart beat stronger and quicker, my identity as one of the Big Orange faithful was palpable. I was bursting with Tennessee pride, possessed of great gladness, and choking up all at the same time.

Yes, John Ward had some great calls, some that are remembered reverently by his peers in broadcast journalism and sports media. There are phrases which will always be his. No matter who speaks them in the future, they simply will be quoting one of the greats.

But for me, it's always "football time in Tennessee." Like John's spirit, that's eternal.

This is a common call I miss..."He's at the 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 TOUCHDOWN TENNESSEE!" Meanwhile, the player was in the end zone the whole time, but it made great radio.

Ward would immediately name not only UT players by name, but would seamlessly know the names on the other team. Didn't happen by accident...am sure hours of studying allowed him to have these names at his immediate disposal.

"It's football time in Tennessee!"

Hearing John Ward speak those words in his unmistakable way - We were brought into the immediacy of the present. Everything was possible. Victory was achievable. Every time, my heart beat stronger and quicker, my identity as one of the Big Orange faithful was palpable. I was bursting with Tennessee pride, possessed of great gladness, and choking up all at the same time.

Yes, John Ward had some great calls, some that are remembered reverently by his peers in broadcast journalism and sports media. There are phrases which will always be his. No matter who speaks them in the future, they simply will be quoting one of the greats.

But for me, it's always "football time in Tennessee." Like John's spirit, that's eternal.

Thanks for reminding me. I have an audio clip of that on my phone. It's now my ringtone.

TN-Bama game don’t remember the year but it was back when players would fake an injury.
Anyway Bama player went down and John said something about he may be injured or not. He immediately said “Im sorry shouldn’t of said that and I apologize to his family if they are listening.” Class!!! You don’t see or hear that much anymore.

VN Store

Back