What are your favorite John Ward calls of all time?

ALL OF THEM BUT THIS ONE IS AWESOME! 1995 BAMA GAME!

watch

:loco:

REST IN PIECE MR. JOHN WARD! GOAT!!!

1998 Florida game
"NO SIR EEE....NO SIR EEE"
A few minutes later he is describing the scene on the field as fans stormed the field and he said, "The press box is shaking, Bill. The press box is shaking."

Reactions: VOLSONLY
One thing I found unique about Mr. Ward was that he would point out the missed or blown calls that favored the Vols. Not many 'homers' do/did that. That raised my respect for him even more as I got older. Very few could paint the picture as well as John Ward. RIP,sir.

Reactions: 1 person
Bill Justice at the line in Starkville, game tied, no time on the clock, 1 free throw left, SEC championship on the line. "He aims, shot is up, tie a ribbon on it and send back to Knoxville Tennessee!"

Reactions: 3 people
"Bernard KING of the Volunteers!"
I have vivid memories of his call from the 1976 Alabama basketball game in Knoxville. His description of a particular shot by King when he went under the basket to flip a shot from the opposite side is chilling. Something to the effect of "Oh, wrap that one up in orange! An unbelievable move by KING of the Volunteers!" JW was something special when it came to calling basketball for Tennessee.

Last edited:
I remember watching the games on TV while listening to John Ward. I can remember John saying, "he is at the 5, the 4, the 3, the 2, the 1, GIVE HIM SIX. Meanwhile, on the TV, the extra point has been made and they were on the second commercial.

I loved how he called basketball games! IMO, he was better at basketball than football (even though he was great at both). He called the foul line in basketball the "Charity Stripe". That had to be a Ward original! I have never heard anyone else call it that!! He was certainly unique and irreplaceable, he will be missed but he will live forever in our memories.

Reactions: 2 people
that was...oh, never mind.
How we have fallen in almost every area. Sigh.
RIP, JW and thanks for giving your all for Tennessee.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back