Welp..Time For A New TV

Get a 110 in theatre set up

I bought a 110" screen off Amazon for $70 and put it on the wall in my basement and use an Apple TV and projector that I use for presentations. Low budget home theater at i'ts finest.

Vizio M series tv's are probably best bang for your buck. They are great tvs and have an excellent picture.
Samsung 7000 series or above to me are the best tvs on the market but are pricey.
I have both of these and live them both.
Your best bets are to check Amazon or try to negotiate at Best Buy. Best Buy will do their best to sell you on their warranty and they are expensive. The newest model tvs are either just coming out or will be coming out soon, so luckily for you it's a great time to buy. You should be able to get deep discounts on last years models because they want to get them off the floor. Good luck!

We were given a Sony about a month ago from my aunt since she upgraded in size. No telling how long she had it, but it went out a week ago. Was going to get an LG but all of the stores in our area were out of stock. Went with Samsung.

Costco seems to have good prices on TVs. You might want to check what they have and compare.

From what I've seen, there's no reason to spend over $1000 unless you are going 65+ or projector. Most everyone would be quite pleased with a $600 55" if they didn't know the price.

Reactions: 1 person
Got a houseful of Samsung TVs...45 to 60 inches... 4K UHD. Reliable vendor of these products... and Best Buy is a good place to shop, as well, check for open box deal to save a few hundred more.

Reactions: 1 person
I've owned several brands of tv's: Samsung, Panasonic, LG. Out of all of them the Samsung easily offers the best picture.

My experience, Samsung is really good under 55". I have a 47" LED that is 6.5 years old now, and still looks great. Sharp is my preferred choice over that size. I have had several people comment on my Sharp Aquos that the picture looks so realistic that it looks live. It almost freaks them out. It is about 4.5 years old and it too looks as good as it did the day I bought it.

welp...time for a new mini fridge...the one in my office said adios today :)

If it has 4k, 120 refresh or better, and real HDR you are good to go. Idea Samsungs die faster is just crazy talk.

And be ready to calibrate it. Most TVs now days don't look great out of the box in most lighting situations. So play with that when you get it home.

My first HDTV was a 40" Samsung LCD - got it in 2008 I think. Died after about 4-1/2 years.

Seemed pretty fast based on what I paid at the time.

My first HDTV was a 40" Samsung LCD - got it in 2008 I think. Died after about 4-1/2 years.

Seemed pretty fast based on what I paid at the time.

Funny, our family room is home to a 55" Samsung LCD that's probably 11 years old, but I can't justify replacing it because it fits its need. I have a nice theater screen in the basement for movies, gaming, sports, and other "critical viewing."

My experience, Samsung is really good under 55". I have a 47" LED that is 6.5 years old now, and still looks great. Sharp is my preferred choice over that size. I have had several people comment on my Sharp Aquos that the picture looks so realistic that it looks live. It almost freaks them out. It is about 4.5 years old and it too looks as good as it did the day I bought it.

Sharp was acquired by Hisense and will no longer be its own brand.

In fact I wanted to buy a Sharp but it was out of stock and discontinued. They wouldn't let me buy the floor model either. It's one reason I was able to get my Sony at a discount.

In fact I wanted to buy a Sharp but it was out of stock and discontinued. They wouldn't let me buy the floor model either. It's one reason I was able to get my Sony at a discount.

Well, that sucks. They were the best IMO.

They should keep the name Sharp always had a positive brand recognition..even if it was the same tv I probably wouldn't but a Sharp tv if it was labeled Hisense

Can't go wrong with Samsung or LG.

Got a 55" Samsung LED in the living room. OLED pricing hasn't come down enough to replace it.

36" Samsung in the bedroom, 32" Samsung in the home office and 42" LG in the guest bedroom.

(And a cheap 48" Insignia Best Buy brand on the patio...)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Can't go wrong with Samsung or LG.

Got a 55" Samsung LED in the living room. OLED pricing hasn't come down enough to replace it.

36" Samsung in the bedroom, 32" Samsung in the home office and 42" LG in the guest bedroom.

(And a cheap 42" Insignia Best Buy brand on the patio...)

I got a cheap 32" Insigna for the kids playroom. It's only 720p but looks good. Think it was only $99(?). My only complaint is it doesn't have an auto off feature.

They should keep the name Sharp always had a positive brand recognition..even if it was the same tv I probably wouldn't but a Sharp tv if it was labeled Hisense

Sharp did have brand recognition but so did Zenith before LG acquired them.

I got a cheap 32" Insigna for the kids playroom. It's only 720p but looks good. Think it was only $99(?). My only complaint is it doesn't have an auto off feature.

I think I paid around like $179 for the 48" Insignia on my patio. It was one of those open box deals...not a smart TV but it's 1080p.

I have a 32" Toshiba in the bedroom that I paid $599 for during a black Friday sale. It was a hell of a deal at the time. It has about a 5" bezel around the screen and weighs about a hundred pounds. It still works good and the sleep timer apparently works which I set for an hour each night and never am awake to see time out.

Life is good.

I have a 32" Toshiba in the bedroom that I paid $599 for during a black Friday sale. It was a hell of a deal at the time. It has about a 5" bezel around the screen and weighs about a hundred pounds. It still works good and the sleep timer apparently works which I set for an hour each night and never am awake to see time out.

Life is good.

I bought a 36 inch Sony Wega off Craigslist for 20 bucks just to have a TV in our spare bedroom...I realized why it was so cheap...it weighs over 200 pounds! If we ever sell this house it will come with a free tv :)
https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-kv-36fs12-wega-36-crt-tv/specs/

This is very common. Most AV pros will tell you that you don't need 1080p for tv's smaller than 40".

My 15 year old DLP went out today...from my quick diagnosis, it's either the ballast or the color wheel (which I've already fixed once) so I'm in the market for something new. I guess plasma and DLP are both discontinued..so is LED the only tech? I'd like something in the 50 inch range (the DLP was 62 but I can deal with less screen size) and I'd like something that is not going to be obsolete in 2 years..so I'm open to suggestions. I'd also like to keep in under 2k...but if one of you guys want to buy an underpaid teacher with a home schooling wife and disabled child this TV..I'd take it :)

Samsung Electronics QN75Q7F 75-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart QLED TV (2017 Model)
4.1 out of 5 stars

Price:
$5,998.00 FREE Scheduled Delivery

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elec...rd_wg=FV7F1&psc=1&refRID=N9E93RJSH8FFSKA0J5HB

There is no 50 in TV out on the market right now worth over $1000. There is no 75 in TV worth more than $2000. Screw the free delivery, but $6000 is robbery.

The theory that this stuff becomes obsolete in two years is just loony. Yea, 4K is better than 1080, but they only expect half the market share to own one by 2025. Just go buy whatever you're comfortable with and it will go on it's own before it becomes obsolete

Had this discussion in another thread, but how many networks even broadcast in 4K right now? What good does it do to have 4K when the broadcast choices are pretty limited?

VN Store

Back