Well if Butch Ever Leaves We Will Know Why.

If you listened to the post game show with the players, they all to a man indicated the staff at half time provided no major adjustments. Told them to play with more passion and like it was backyard game, and just keep playing hard. If the kids are lying they're lying, but they all said no major adjustments.

The adjustment in my opinion was the team playing like they were capable of playing. Sometimes telling someone you still believe in them is worth more than any change that can be made.

Was there more to it than this?

“I hope you guys understand the resolve and the resiliency of this football team, and the local media should understand that. We have something special here. Must win, all that – that is not the case. We are building something special here with character and competitiveness. It’s just one game. We’ve got to go on the road next week. The resolve of these kids, with all the expectations on this football game and you go down at half time and to have that second half performance. If you don’t have character in your football program, that does not happen.”

172 posts over this? Wow!

No sh!t... Butch could announce the sky is blue and some would ridicule him for it.. Some dislike him and their minds are made up.. Nothing he can do will satisfy.. I truly belive there are people on here that hoped we would lose Saturday so it would get the ball rolling to Butch being fired.. Mali sounds like one of those people..

Good lord. Shut the hell up with that stuff. Butch make millions a year and has had his contract extended every year even though we've lost to almost every rival every year. He's been a great recruiter and program ambassador. But this far a very average coach. Any criticism is fair. His recruits came through yesterday. Not his gameplaning
Get out, some of the biggest plays came from a WALK-ON in Colton jumper, it's negavols like you that make every coach we have want to run for the hills, that believe it's national title or bust. NEWS FLASH only one team wins the national title a year. If we go 10-2 I can smile because it's improvement. That's all I care to see, people like you would be pissed with a 30-0 victory over Alabama.

Saban does it almost every week. Butch is OK.

Exactly, and everyone thinks he is a god for doing it! Butch does it and he gets flack, and another thing, now is not the time to jump on our coach, he just delivered the best win in a decade for Tennessee and some idiots want to spout off their mouth! Seems like folks have forgot what it is like to get beat by the likes of Wyoming for homecoming and getting absolutely drilled by Alabama, Georgia, Oregon, Oklahoma, and even two straight by Vandy! If you don't like where we are today, then go root for someone else, or at lest keep your mouth shut until you have something to complain about. We are 4-0 coming off a win against a Florida team that most felt like had the best defense in the SEC if not the country. Those are not my words, but words of the most respected pundits in the business. Our OL was not supposed to even slow down their DL, and their DB's were supposed to put the clamps on our QB and WR's!

I'll help him pack. He beat a bad Florida team and acts like he's won a natti. In just four short years he's turned us into a powerhouse that should be ranked somewhere between #20 and #30 in the country. Great job coach you've managed to turn a team that for the last two years has been as talented as anyone in the country into a middle of the road team that is capable of beating other mediocre teams or losing to anyone. You're making millions a year and doing a subpar job so shut up about the media you deserve every bit of the criticism you've gotten. If you don't like it leave. The next coach will have us in playoff w current roster and u will be exposed for the clown u are

Sometimes I feel like this but after reading this.. It makes me feel how ungrateful we are as a Fanbase.. Trust me I've been hard on the guy at times also but I do appreciate what he has done for the program and after Saturday night and being there then walking to my truck I saw the presser and his emotions stirred something in me, I'm really grateful he's our man he's Tennessee's coach.. And after Saturday I'm AllButch..

Was there more to it than this?

“I hope you guys understand the resolve and the resiliency of this football team, and the local media should understand that. We have something special here. Must win, all that – that is not the case. We are building something special here with character and competitiveness. It’s just one game. We’ve got to go on the road next week. The resolve of these kids, with all the expectations on this football game and you go down at half time and to have that second half performance. If you don’t have character in your football program, that does not happen.”

172 posts over this? Wow!

Nope. You got it all.

I read too many posts here at VN before i actually watched the presser. Once I did, I was surprised. It was not that big of a deal at all. He was hardly "calling out" the local media. He was just defending his team.

Not a big deal at all.

Reactions: 1 person
Lol My honest opinion is Butch needs to shut the hell up and stop worrying about it. You're never going to control the media. Get over it.

This is true to some degree, but he can make their job a lot harder. Ask Florida's media how much they had to write on last week and how much access they had into practice.

You can't control what they write but you can make the material a lot less. He is obligated to certain media appearances weekly but there is nothing in his contract telling him what information he must be forthcoming about.

I got no problem with Butch giving the media a shot occasionally when they deserve it. WHat he said was very minimal and IMO very well deserved. I bet most of the media are paying way less mind to it than some on here. As long as the narrative doesn't become Butch vs. media I hope he continues to call them out if needed. They damned sure don't hesitate to do the same to him.

Its only fair to point out the strange attitude some of you have towards the most winning coach that we have had in over a DECADE. ;)

No its not, it's silly! If he cant take media breaking down how his team is playing he is in the wrong business. He sure cant say his team played well up till the fl game! But I do understand how tender some can be.

Last edited:
Lol My honest opinion is Butch needs to shut the hell up and stop worrying about it. You're never going to control the media. Get over it.

No but spotlighting it on a large scale will call their bluff, and also cause readers to re evaluate just whom they want to listen to..

No sh!t... Butch could announce the sky is blue and some would ridicule him for it.. Some dislike him and their minds are made up.. Nothing he can do will satisfy.. I truly believe there are people on here that hoped we would lose Saturday so it would get the ball rolling to Butch being fired.. Mali sounds like one of those people..

You are correct, It's the extremes on both sides here, He could also say "the sky is red" and many here would argue He is right till the end. Your part about people here hoping to lose is a prime example!

Butch has done somethings great, Butch has done somethings ok, and Butch has done somethings bad! Pointing out any of the above on forums designed for discussion is not bad in anyway. It's the childish reactions of people trying to beat others into sharing their opinion or your an "idiot" you should "shut up" "nega" "pumper" ect ect, The way a bunch here have acted in the mob mentality I can now understand how we end up with riots in the street!

My fav part of Vol nation is threads like this in which I get to see the Dooley peeps telling others what idiots they are. History repeats itself here time after time.

The best way to deal with the media is to win football games. That's what he's paid to do. If you win, nothing else on earth matters.

VN Store

Back