We are blessed to have Dooley!

Wins and losses aren't the only way to judge coaches. In the long run, W/L's are the most visual aspect of a coaching career, but it certainly isn't the only reason people don't care for Dooley.

Ultimately those "reasons" will not matter. What matters is if he wins or loses. The reasonable fans have acknowledged that he took over a train wreck that would take time to fix. They also recognize that time is not indefinite. We may disagree on the exact "when" but he has to win pretty soon. The outliers are those who think he gets 5 years without significant improvement and the "Northknoxvol" types who have already drawn a conclusion based on assumptions combined with a healthy dose of ignorance.

I am hopeful that Dooley will have a good season and be a good coach. But I think there's a fallacy of limited alternatives implied in the OP. Being glad to not be in Arkansas' shoes... does not mean that I am ready to conclude that having Dooley is a blessing.

hmmmm... well said.

Ultimately those "reasons" will not matter. What matters is if he wins or loses. The reasonable fans have acknowledged that he took over a train wreck that would take time to fix. They also recognize that time is not indefinite. We may disagree on the exact "when" but he has to win pretty soon. The outliers are those who think he gets 5 years without significant improvement and the "Northknoxvol" types who have already drawn a conclusion based on assumptions combined with a healthy dose of ignorance.

The difference between Dooley and other coaches who have taken over disasters at other programs is that those coaches actually show improvement from year 1 to year 2. Dooley didn't.

Injuries are no excuse since I'm not necessarily talking about win/loss. I'm talking about quality of coaching from the practice field to game day. None of it, including wins, was there.

Not sure why people still say 7 wins and he keeps his job. It will take 9-10 wins and a trip to Atlanta for him to keep his job. With the new life we have on defense and one of the most powerful offenses in college football it's possible.

Last edited:
I am hopeful that Dooley will have a good season and be a good coach. But I think there's a fallacy of limited alternatives implied in the OP. Being glad to not be in Arkansas' shoes... does not mean that I am ready to conclude that having Dooley is a blessing.

It has been interesting to see where people draw there own conclsuions as to what might be implied by the OP.

Completely agree. Like I said, W/L record is thrown around by a lot of ardent Dooley supporters, saying that "no one could have done any better", etc... I was merely pointing out the fact that W/L record isn't the only way he can be judged. Ultimately, it will be the deciding factor, but not the ONLY way to judge his coaching prowess.

I would say about 10% - 80% - 10% split between those types of posters.

10% think he should be kept for 4-5 years, regardless of record or improvement. They say that UT will be set back another 10 years if we changed coaches again.

10% believe that Dooley should have been out after UK. But also think that we could hire a big name easily by throwing a lot of money towards them.

80% of the fanbase believes that Dooley has always had 3 years to earn 4. He has to show some sort of improvement this season (the consensus seems to be 8 regular season wins, I personally think it should be 9) to be here for a 4th year. His 4th year has a chance to repeat his success before any long term deal is constructed.

A longwinded way to say: Good post, I agree.

Reactions: 1 person
Completely agree. Like I said, W/L record is thrown around by a lot of ardent Dooley supporters, saying that "no one could have done any better", etc... I was merely pointing out the fact that W/L record isn't the only way he can be judged. Ultimately, it will be the deciding factor, but not the ONLY way to judge his coaching prowess.

I would say about 10% - 80% - 10% split between those types of posters.

10% think he should be kept for 4-5 years, regardless of record or improvement. They say that UT will be set back another 10 years if we changed coaches again.

10% believe that Dooley should have been out after UK. But also think that we could hire a big name easily by throwing a lot of money towards them.

80% of the fanbase believes that Dooley has always had 3 years to earn 4. He has to show some sort of improvement this season (the consensus seems to be 8 regular season wins, I personally think it should be 9) to be here for a 4th year. His 4th year has a chance to repeat his success before any long term deal is constructed.

A longwinded way to say: Good post, I agree.

I would go as far as to say that a trip to Atlanta is the only thing that will keep him here for 4 years.

He showed zero improvement as a game day coach (which is what I wanted to see improvement wise) and actually got worse in that aspect as well as preparation.

This year I want to see wins AND improved game day coaching.

He may be the worst game day coach in the country and that's saying something with Muschamp and Richt to the south of us.

Last edited:
I would go as far as to say that a trip to Atlanta is the only thing that will keep him here for 4 years.

He showed zero improvement as a game day coach (which is what I wanted to see improvement wise) and actually got worse in that aspect as well as preparation.

This year I want to see wins AND improved game day coaching.

He may be the worst game day coach in the country and that's saying something when Muschamp coaches in the same conference.

With the exception of your first sentence, I agree with everything you said.

That being said, I don't see any way the AD would fire him should he win 8-9 regular season games. There would be too much "visual" improvement to let him go.

Reactions: 2 people
The difference between Dooley and other coaches who have taken over disasters at other programs is that those coaches actually show improvement from year 1 to year 2. Dooley didn't.
Which ones inherited a roster returning players left over from 3 consecutive whole recruiting class busts? You will always struggle with perspective until you look at Fulmer's last two classes and Kiffin's first class.

Dooley didn't improve... mostly because the roster got even younger and less skilled from year one to year two. That was going to happen regardless of who the coach was.

The roster is now made up mostly of players he recruited and signed. It will be led by players he signed and has developed for two years.

Injuries are no excuse since I'm not necessarily talking about win/loss. I'm talking about quality of coaching from the practice field to game day. None of it, including wins, was there.
Well... no, it is actually a reason. Unless you were on the practice field then you have ZERO ability to discern between poor coaching and players who lacked the skill to make plays. UT was way too thin to afford even a single injury at any position.

Further, who you practice against matters. UT's starters were practicing against guys who had no shot of EVER playing a down. Bama, UGA, LSU, et al were practicing against guys who stand a good chance of being starters or lettermen. The guys who stepped in to start for UT should have been RS's. They were no less than 2 years from being SEC caliber starters... but Dooley had no one else.

Not sure why people still say 7 wins and he keeps his job. It will take 9-10 wins and a trip to Atlanta for him to keep his job. With the new life we have on defense and one of the most powerful offenses in college football it's possible.

You are delusional if you believe it takes a trip to Atlanta or even 9 wins to keep the job. Sorry to be blunt.

I think it SHOULD take at least 8 wins. I think it WILL take 7 simply because of his contract. Now if he saves his job with 7 then I think a '13 trip to Atlanta is virtually a requirement because the ranks of those willing to accept his starting point as a reason for poor results will shrink alot.

You are simply wrong. I hope he does it. However it is not reasonable to make that the standard considering where he started. I know of no coach who inherited 3 recruiting classes as bad as DD inherited without major NCAA sanctions or the death penalty.

How do you judge game day coaching when the options are so few? Again, the roster got younger and weaker... not stronger. His options for gameplanning and adjustments were reduced, not increased.

Having guys who can actually play makes a huge impact on how a coach makes decisions on gameday.

He may be the worst game day coach in the country and that's saying something with Muschamp and Richt to the south of us.

And you are an irrational fan if you think you have the necessary information to draw that conclusion. I am FAR from concluding he's a good coach because I recognize that the situation he took over did not allow proof either way.

This year... he has players and options. There are still thin spots in the roster but he's got plenty of O talent and depth. He's had ample opportunity to develop his players. There are thin spots at LB. If the DL or secondary does not play well then that is exclusively on him. If the scheme change does not work then that was his choice too. I could be slightly more forgiving on LB play... but not much.

Fair or not... I do not see how he can be kept without improvement that can be sold to recruits. The program must always be more important than its coach. Especially because of where the program was roster wise when DD took over... "fairness" to him can't be a deciding factor. The program cannot afford the recruiting hit that would occur if he wins 6 or less regular season games. Seven is a stretch but I still think he gets another year.

Fair or not... I do not see how he can be kept without improvement that can be sold to recruits. The program must always be more important than its coach. Especially because of where the program was roster wise when DD took over... "fairness" to him can't be a deciding factor. The program cannot afford the recruiting hit that would occur if he wins 6 or less regular season games. Seven is a stretch but I still think he gets another year.

Nothing is fair in coaching in the SEC. If you don't produce, you are gone. I don't see 7 wins being an improvement. Does it look better than 5 wins last season? Yes, but in reality, it means that we lost another game that we should have won. In addition, we lose 4 to the Bama, UF, USC, UGA teams. That means we lost 3 games where we had more or equal talent than the other team.

This is one extreme of the fan base. Blessed? I agree Dooley seems like a very good ambassador for the program. However, if he is proven to be a loser this year then we are far from "blessed." There are a lot of coaches that can be good ambassadors and win too.

Nothing is fair in coaching in the SEC. If you don't produce, you are gone. I don't see 7 wins being an improvement. Does it look better than 5 wins last season? Yes, but in reality, it means that we lost another game that we should have won. In addition, we lose 4 to the Bama, UF, USC, UGA teams. That means we lost 3 games where we had more or equal talent than the other team.

There are usually three "realities" to any situation. The way things "should" be. The way we "wish" things were... and the way things "are".

I wish UT were a favorite to win the NC. I think 7 "should" not be enough for him to keep the job. However with all things considered and especially his buyout... I think 7 will do it. It is a reality that I neither wish for nor think should be... but is the most likely.

I don't think 7 wins will be enough to keep Dooley, unless there are mitigating circumstances; i.e., critical injuries to key players, playing rival games very close, etc. If he can't win 8 or 9 games with Bray, Hunter and Rogers (arguably the best offensive triad in the country) and returning starters at almost every position, then something is just not clicking. I think we'll know the most likely scenario after the UF game, because that is the pivotal swing game. If we go undefeated into UGA, I'd say he gets another year to get us in the hunt for the East. NC State and UF are must-wins, for morale and momentum as well as record.

It's very simple. If Dooley brings pride back to the team and the fanbase, he gets another year. If he doesn't, he's gone.

Regardless of the number of wins.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back