Vols wide receiver josh smith arrested (with updates)

Not an expert but seems like a law was passed where the state could press charges regardless of the 'victim's' wishes

Under TN domestic assault law there is something called "Preferred Response".

“Preferred response” means law enforcement officers shall arrest a person committing domestic abuse unless there is a clear and compelling reason not to arrest

For domestic issues, if the cops come to a residence and there is evidence of violence (blood, fight, bruises, etc) the law requires the police to take someone to jail. Typically that will be the primary aggressor. If they cannot figure it out, they will take both.

If it would have been in a public place they would have most likely declared it mutual combat and let them both walk away unless someone decided to press charges.

John Brice @JohnDBrice1
Am told by people with 1sthand knowledge that @JoshSmith_25 acted in self-defense against a roommate who was belligerent. Bet charges drop

Reactions: 2 people
With him to be arrested on assault does that mean Kennedy had to press charges. If so he's a prick!

Because he lost the fight so he stays out of jail?

It should be based off who attacked who 1st.

Sounds like JS was arrested for showing concern for his roommate and for winning the fight..

I'd like to hear more of what Kennedy says about it all.

Reactions: 1 person
John Brice @JohnDBrice1
Am told by people with 1sthand knowledge that @JoshSmith_25 acted in self-defense against a roommate who was belligerent. Bet charges drop

Well hopefully the belligerent 'ass' got his ass beat...

Edit: Sounds like he did..

Last edited:
John Brice @JohnDBrice1

That's good. The law is interesting though, the victim can become the aggressor. So even if acting in self-defense at first, you cannot then take control and just beat the crap out of somebody. Without knowing any more facts it'll be interesting to see where they go with this case.

Who was the arresting agency? UTPD or Knoxville?

WTG Knoxville media for making us aware of an altercation between two adults in the privacy of their shared apartment. This is a real news story! The Tuscaloosa, Gainesville, Athens, Baton Rouge and Auburn media wouldn't be nearly as heads-up with this.

Reactions: 5 people
Josh's roommate will be in for a rude awakening. Especially if his belligerent actions led to the entire altercation. It appears Josh did beat him up pretty bad, the guy is still at UT Medical with injuries to the head.

It also reminds you to never talk to the police. Josh is quoted in the report as saying, "it's all my fault." Sounds like a confession to me.

Josh's roommate will be in for a rude awakening. Especially if his belligerent actions led to the entire altercation. It appears Josh did beat him up pretty bad, the guy is still at UT Medical with injuries to the head.

It also reminds you to never talk to the police. Josh is quoted in the report as saying, "it's all my fault." Sounds like a confession to me.

My cousin Vinnie confessions don't count, except in the movies.

Reactions: 4 people
WTG Knoxville media for making us aware of an altercation between two adults in the privacy of their shared apartment. This is a real news story! The Tuscaloosa, Gainesville, Athens, Baton Rouge and Auburn media wouldn't be nearly as heads-up with this.

I agree but to be fair, their audience doesn't seem to have the appetite for self destruction that we do. This topic is more suited for a different thread but it's true.
Our fans drool over UT dirty laundry and every chance to pile on.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree but to be fair, their audience doesn't seem to have the appetite for self destruction that we do. This topic is more suited for a different thread but it's true.
Our fans drool over UT dirty laundry and every chance to pile on.

You're right. Every fan base has its share of crazies, kooks, misery lovers and pot stirrers, but UT seems to have more than the norm. And the Knoxville media is heads above the rest in its never-failing quest to create negativity, controversy and trouble for UT athletic programs.

Reactions: 6 people
Pretty obvious what happened here. Cinco. JS wanted to stay out of trouble so was hitting the tequila at home (like he should be), passed the bottle to his room mate to have someone to drink with, and his roomy couldn't handle his drink. Josh being a vol and a born leader took responsibility. I've got JS back on this unless I hear otherwise. He just gave his roomy too much to drink on cinco and it got out of hand. Nothing to see.

Seems like a weird story. Smith kicked down the locked door because he was worried about his friend, and then they proceeded to fight and Smith whooped his butt.

Just doesn't make a lot of sense, but most fights usually dont

VN Store

Back