Vols Wednesday Practice Thread: Auburn Week

Why can’t our WRs catch?

When you have numerous balls thrown in your direction during practice drops happen. A drop isn’t acceptable but certainly understood.

These aren’t pro receivers, they do drop the ball on some occasions. All that we can hope is they catch 95 percent of the balls throw to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Its great.... Better than yelling over a freaking mic, listening to lil john at practice...
I agree, perfect is a fluid state. We are far from playing perfect football and the best will never let up.

We all get it, we aren’t that good right now. But if we have some actual coaches this time demanding our kids never quit and have passion about their job, we can be good again

Reactions: rgvol
Does it look like JJ Peterson will see the field this year for any games? Or is he headed for a 0 game redshirt. I’m not on as much as I used to be so I haven’t seen any update.

I assumed since he arrived that there was no way he saw the field prior to the bye week. Now I’m assuming the last 4 games Charlotte-Vandy is the target for him if anything.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
Coach Pruitt showing receivers how to run a route?...why are we wasting all the money on assistants? I'm seriously worried about Coach Pruitt's health...I mean how much longer can he try to be everything to everybody...and,

GO VOLS...BEAT TIGERS!

take out WRs. Replace QB with RB. Run wishbone with RBs and TEs. Might as well since it seems everyone thinks they can't throw and catch the ball. We are already dead last in the SEC in pass attempts, nearly last in all FBS. And those attempts are mostly sideways or less than 20yds. Might as well just not throw it at all. Or...., we could unzip pants, see if we can find some balls, and throw the ball down the field more than once every 3 games. I guarantee our opponent would never see that coming!!!

I think there are two stories here:

This team is still having to work on high school summer camp fundamentals midway through the season.

Coaches are working on some new wrinkles through the fall break. That gives us something to watch for over the next couple of weeks.

Does it look like JJ Peterson will see the field this year for any games? Or is he headed for a 0 game redshirt. I’m not on as much as I used to be so I haven’t seen any update.

I assumed since he arrived that there was no way he saw the field prior to the bye week. Now I’m assuming the last 4 games Charlotte-Vandy is the target for him if anything.

He is on the scout team so until you see him in a normal jersey his chances are about 0 for this year except maybe against Charlotte

Edit: The good news though is that there have been reports of constant improvement from JJP which is a good sign for the young guy. I fully expect him to be a starter next year.

As receivers they arent very good but as blockers they're not good either.

I disagree. When we have gone to the pass we have had receivers open. The down situation we have been putting ourselves into has been a big issue on the pass game.

Another issue is that when our primary receivers are covered up we haven’t been hitting the checkdown.

Those are the biggest issue aside from the line (and RBs blocking) that are affecting the pass game.

Coach Pruitt showing receivers how to run a route?...why are we wasting all the money on assistants? I'm seriously worried about Coach Pruitt's health...I mean how much longer can he try to be everything to everybody...and,

GO VOLS...BEAT TIGERS!

Oh my goodness how dare the head coach ...... coach ..... and insert himself into an area (the offense) that has been having issues..... I mean I guess he should just go stand on the sidelines during practice and do absolutely nothing. I bet everything would fix itself then......

He is on the scout team so until you see him in a normal jersey his chances are about 0 for this year except maybe against Charlotte

Edit: The good news though is that there have been reports of constant improvement from JJP which is a good sign for the young guy. I fully expect him to be a starter next year.

He reportedly had an Instagram post with a picture of the schedule....had 4 games circled..... Alabama, South Carolina, Kentucky and Vanderbilt. Looks like those are the 4 he’ll play this year while retaining his redshirt.

FYI.

Of course, we'd need to throw it to him more to get a better sample size. In my opinion, Chandler and Wood-Anderson, though raw talent, are by far the two most talented skill position players on the offensive side of the ball. However, if my info correct, they combined for a total of 11 touches vs UGA. I'd think getting W-A 5-7 targets per game and Chandler 18-20 touches (run/pass) per game would increase our chances to spring some big plays. W-A is probably the closest thing to Witten we've had in a long time, and many times is a mismatch on a LB.

Witten could block

Totally agree about WA his only issue at the moment is his blocking. But that’s not hard to fix. He is good with the ball in his hands.

Banks would be our most raw back if he could fix his butterfinger woes he would be a very good back. Very rarely loses yardage. He would be a nice complement to Chandler. I also think Madre London is under utilized.
This will be interesting to watch the next few games. On one hand, Pruitt knows Banks is potential liability and just can't afford to put him in the game with his fumble ratio being what it is. On the other hand, with his talent, he's obviously someone we'd want on the field as much as possible. Pruitt seems to like his passion/effort, but still can't really trust him at this point, so I'd guess he'll get a few touches this weekend just to keep him engaged.

This will be interesting to watch the next few games. On one hand, Pruitt knows Banks is potential liability and just can't afford to put him in the game with his fumble ratio being what it is. On the other hand, with his talent, he's obviously someone we'd want on the field as much as possible. Pruitt seems to like his passion/effort, but still can't really trust him at this point, so I'd guess he'll get a few touches this weekend just to keep him engaged.
agreed.

and the bad part bout the ball security is that it's on tape, and defenses know it. so not only does he just have to get better at it fundamentally, he'll have to also compensate for defensese trying to take advantage of it when he's int he game.

Along with Lineman, hopefully Pruitt can recruit some receivers who can actually CATCH!!!
It's a virus transmitted via skin to skin contact. It's rumored that the Haslam's are carriers. They shake somebody's hand who shakes somebody's hand... Before you know it, our receivers are infected. There's no research, but rumor is rampant that the virus can live for up to 30 minutes on inanimate surfaces. Door, faucet, and toilet handles, counter tops, lunch trays... Soon, no Vols will be able to hold onto the dadgum ball!!!

As receivers they arent very good but as blockers they're not good either.
tumblr_m3ydcndLm71r3da0s.gif

didn't get me farther than "The Reltney's" intramural flag football team @ UT...

Did you have a "coach" who dressed up like Bear Bryant and stalked the sidelines? A "cheering section" consisting of someone in an orange jumpsuit holding aloft a statuette of a clown? No?

Imagination and humor are dead...

They need to put him in around the 10-15 yd mark from our end zone he has the power, vision, and ability to score from that distance with little chance for him to fumble. (Coach should tell him to cover the ball up on contact and just drive his feet)

I see him as our punch it in back against Auburn. Granted we have to get to that territory first.

VN Store

Back