VOLS w a lot of momentum on the recruiting trail right now...

If you don’t think the 2019 class we just signed coming off 5-7 ( before Chaney , Tee or Ainsley were even here ) was an excellent class , you are quite naive. Add in 5 star DT and 4/5 star CB and wow
No, I'm not naive - please read my post more carefully. There is a qualitative difference between "good" or even "excellent" and "the top". That's pretty basic. I merely pointed out that a promise was made that has not been fulfilled.

We signed "excellent" classes with Dooley and Jones and went right to the basement of the conference with them, because half the conference was signing "superlative" classes every year while we were just signing "excellent."

Do you think LSU won ten games last year on the strength of Ed Orgeron's coaching? I could coach that team to ten wins; the average cashier at Wal-Mart could coach that team to ten wins. Because they have roughly ten miles more talent than we do.

Reactions: 08Vol
Pruitt is a lot like Dabo, much more genuine and likable than Saban and Kirby smart. It Is going to be a process but he can bring Tennessee back to greatness. We have to be patient even though it is difficult after the Butch Jones debacle.

We've had so much terrible luck and bad coaching for so long, it's a long term project to bring us back. Just trust the process, we've seen a few glimmers of the future, but we HAVE to give Pruitt time.

Would you prefer “highly unlikely”? Sorry you didn’t like my adjective. I’ll put it this way - if the Vols win 9 games, Pruitt should be named National COY and be given a 10 year extension. How’s that?
That's pretty good.... :D

Not trying to pick at your grammar but you pretty much wrote off a range of outcomes that I think are definitely possible IF Pruitt is the right coach. Can he coach them up? Has he signed some players who can help? Is his S&C program effective? Did he make the right hires this off-season?

If he gets a "A or even B" for those things then 8 wins isn't "delusional". There are 9 and maybe 10 beatable teams on the schedule. Take MSU for example. I think they made a bad hire to follow Mullen. Like Mizzou, they're losing the guys that elevated the program under the previous coach. Things happen but they'll probably be one of the worst two teams in the West this fall.

The history that makes me believe this way is things like Cut's return after 2005. He restored discipline. A team that couldn't get out of its own way suddenly started executing with a significant degree of precision. Pruitt strikes me as the same kind of coach. Turning a team around that was as far off track as what Jones left takes longer.

It isn't "fair" but I don't think a coach that doesn't do something impressive in the first 3 years will succeed. You need fan excitement but more than that you need something tangible to show recruits you're headed in the right direction. I think Pruitt has a fairly narrow window. I don't think it is "delusional" or even cosmically unlikely as you do that he hits it. I wouldn't give him better than a 50% chance at this point... but I wouldn't say it is less than 1% either.

We've had so much terrible luck and bad coaching for so long, it's a long term project to bring us back. Just trust the process, we've seen a few glimmers of the future, but we HAVE to give Pruitt time.

This is fair IMO. After CBJ's first 9 win season (which should have been 11 IMO), detractors and "fahr Butch" folks were few and far between, It was not until the following season the wheels began to fall off and he became exposed. Pruitt has been here one season, we beat two ranked SEC teams, granted the wheels fell off at the end, I'm putting that on team leadership and not coaches. The fellow can coach, we saw glimmers of it, and we need to give him some time and all of our support during that time.

No, I'm not naive - please read my post more carefully. There is a qualitative difference between "good" or even "excellent" and "the top". That's pretty basic. I merely pointed out that a promise was made that has not been fulfilled.

We signed "excellent" classes with Dooley and Jones and went right to the basement of the conference with them, because half the conference was signing "superlative" classes every year while we were just signing "excellent."

Do you think LSU won ten games last year on the strength of Ed Orgeron's coaching? I could coach that team to ten wins; the average cashier at Wal-Mart could coach that team to ten wins. Because they have roughly ten miles more talent than we do.
Butch s classes were always inflated because of numbers and look at all the players he got that transferred/ quit / medical retire - ridiculous

Look at Pruitt’s recruiting w regard to overall class quality star rating. The 2019 class finished 7th one spot above LSU

We didn't sign excellent classes, we signed overhyped and out of position players and promised them everything. Dooley left us with no O-Lineman he didn't even recruit a lineman one year. WTH. Jones and Dooley merely went by a chart of what the services said instead of evaluating players. They loved them charts. They rarely if ever actually developed a player. There is the difference between Pruitt and this staff and the previous 2, they actually know talent and how to develop it, something neither of the other 2 had a true clue of when they entered the SEC. Jones tried to go small and trick people going sideways, he was horrible at getting players bigger and stronger and was truly in way over his head as was Dooley. Pruitt is much better equipped than both of them combined. And the proof is fixing to be shown on the field over the next 2-3 years. GBO!

Everyone is operating off gut feeling at this point. There are points and counterpoints in abundance (ex. Recruiting: 2018 class bad, 2019 class pretty good; Game day coaching: Auburn good, Vandy bad; etc.). I read a lot of posts asking how long this is going to take. It seems that CJP wants to try and win by beating Bama and UGA at their own game, only they have better athletes. We're not going to out recruit those programs any time soon but we have to be able to beat at least one of them to get any sniff at the SECCG. Chaney is a good OC but his split zone scheme requires a talented OL that can move and block together. It's going to take multiple recruiting classes to build and teach that OL. We have more immediate opportunity for improvement on defense and special teams but we're not going to win many games that our offense cannot put up at least 24 points. I'm figuring the OL should be up to snuff by 2023. Then it will take 2-3 seasons of 9-10 regular season wins to really put us in position to sign enough of the sort of elite playmakers that it's going to take to crack Bama and or UGA. If everything progresses in a reasonable manner, we should be in position to be an elite program again by 2026.

Pruitt is a lot like Dabo, much more genuine and likable than Saban and Kirby smart. It Is going to be a process but he can bring Tennessee back to greatness. We have to be patient even though it is difficult after the Butch Jones debacle.
What?
He has less personality than Saban.

Everyone is operating off gut feeling at this point. There are points and counterpoints in abundance (ex. Recruiting: 2018 class bad, 2019 class pretty good; Game day coaching: Auburn good, Vandy bad; etc.). I read a lot of posts asking how long this is going to take. It seems that CJP wants to try and win by beating Bama and UGA at their own game, only they have better athletes. We're not going to out recruit those programs any time soon but we have to be able to beat at least one of them to get any sniff at the SECCG. Chaney is a good OC but his split zone scheme requires a talented OL that can move and block together. It's going to take multiple recruiting classes to build and teach that OL. We have more immediate opportunity for improvement on defense and special teams but we're not going to win many games that our offense cannot put up at least 24 points. I'm figuring the OL should be up to snuff by 2023. Then it will take 2-3 seasons of 9-10 regular season wins to really put us in position to sign enough of the sort of elite playmakers that it's going to take to crack Bama and or UGA. If everything progresses in a reasonable manner, we should be in position to be an elite program again by 2026.

Haha.

Reactions: jakez4ut
That's pretty good.... :D

Not trying to pick at your grammar but you pretty much wrote off a range of outcomes that I think are definitely possible IF Pruitt is the right coach. Can he coach them up? Has he signed some players who can help? Is his S&C program effective? Did he make the right hires this off-season?

If he gets a "A or even B" for those things then 8 wins isn't "delusional". There are 9 and maybe 10 beatable teams on the schedule. Take MSU for example. I think they made a bad hire to follow Mullen. Like Mizzou, they're losing the guys that elevated the program under the previous coach. Things happen but they'll probably be one of the worst two teams in the West this fall.

The history that makes me believe this way is things like Cut's return after 2005. He restored discipline. A team that couldn't get out of its own way suddenly started executing with a significant degree of precision. Pruitt strikes me as the same kind of coach. Turning a team around that was as far off track as what Jones left takes longer.

It isn't "fair" but I don't think a coach that doesn't do something impressive in the first 3 years will succeed. You need fan excitement but more than that you need something tangible to show recruits you're headed in the right direction. I think Pruitt has a fairly narrow window. I don't think it is "delusional" or even cosmically unlikely as you do that he hits it. I wouldn't give him better than a 50% chance at this point... but I wouldn't say it is less than 1% either.
If we get Solomon and Gibbs eligible to play this season, and Trey Smith back, you might be right. I will happily eat my words. Other than that, it would take a serious overachievement to reach 9 wins. We haven’t overachieved in about 15 years, so color me skeptical otherwise.

What?
He has less personality than Saban.
Saban is as fake and phoney as they come and Kirby is just like him. These kids see thru that BS. With Pruitt, what you see is what you get, that's what i mean by "genuine". He just needs a couple more years and Tennessee football will be feared once again.

Saban & Kirby are fake and phoney and the kids see through that BS while Pruitt is "Genuine" but was willing too work under and with Saban/Kirby?

Reactions: Atlanta917
If we get Solomon and Gibbs eligible to play this season, and Trey Smith back, you might be right. I will happily eat my words. Other than that, it would take a serious overachievement to reach 9 wins. We haven’t overachieved in about 15 years, so color me skeptical otherwise.
I think 9 is a pretty big stretch at this point. Would be a great surprise. I think 8 is doable though. Seven is more likely. Six IMO is unacceptable and a strong indicator that UT still hasn't found the right coach.

Saban is as fake and phoney as they come and Kirby is just like him. These kids see thru that BS. With Pruitt, what you see is what you get, that's what i mean by "genuine". He just needs a couple more years and Tennessee football will be feared once again.
ROTFL

You think the guy who has dominated SEC recruiting and record is seen as a fake and phony by recruits?

The word was Pruitt lost the team at end of the year. Word is he acknowledges the his and has made some changes.

Pruitt is genuinely lacking personality. No problem if he succeeds.

ROTFL

You think the guy who has dominated SEC recruiting and record is seen as a fake and phony by recruits?

The word was Pruitt lost the team at end of the year. Word is he acknowledges the his and has made some changes.

Pruitt is genuinely lacking personality. No problem if he succeeds.

And this word comes from who?

Pruitt is extremely dry, dismissive, and aloof with media and fans. Just like Saban. That's OK if you're winning.

I never quite get that attitude in coaches. Your job in life is teaching 18-22 year olds how to move or stop from moving an inflated rubber bladder covered in leather across a line on a field.

It's a game. And you're making millions of dollars from it. Heck, freakin' enjoy life already.

On the 1st Vol Calls last August he asked Jerry from Bulls Gap where Bulls Gap is. I LULZ'd!

Where is Bulls Gap? IDK.

And did you get the impression that Pruitt genuinely lacks personality? I mean, as much of an impression as you can get without actually meeting and talking to someone?

Saban's players see national championships and a direct pipeline to the NFL. Saban is about as boring as they come... in what way is he fake or phony out of curiosity? If Saban is phony, then Butch deserves an Oscar from his time here.

Where is Bulls Gap? IDK.

And did you get the impression that Pruitt genuinely lacks personality? I mean, as much of an impression as you can get without actually meeting and talking to someone?

I guess we could call Jerry to find out where Bulls Gap is but I'd bet he's already on hold for Vol Calls.

Back to your question, I don't think he lacks personality. There's a big difference when you are "the man" with cameras and mics in your face at all times vs. a position coach.

I wouldn't be surprised to see "open up" a bit more this season as he's more used to the spotlight.

Reactions: Behr
I guess we could call Jerry to find out where Bulls Gap is but I'd bet he's already on hold for Vol Calls.

Back to your question, I don't think he lacks personality. There's a big difference when you are "the man" with cameras and mics in your face at all times vs. a position coach.

I wouldn't be surprised to see "open up" a bit more this season as he's more used to the spotlight.

I wanna know where Bo's Gap is. Literally.

I agree totally. Being a little shy and or nervous doesn't equal "no personality".

VN Store

Back