Vols unranked in first coaches poll

I wouldn't be surprised to see you all, Alabama, and even Arkansas finish in the top 25. I do think the SEC is heading in the right direction with some good coaching hires, impressive recruiting, and even programs like Auburn and Ole Miss improving their facilities.

With Florida, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, Vandy, Arkansas, Alabama, Texas A&M, and South Carolina (give F. Martin a few years) I don't see any reason this conference shouldn't start puttig 7+ teams in the ncaa tournament every year. We may not be there just yet but I think it is only a year or two away.

Reactions: 1 person
Why would Saban go to Alabama? They were mired in mediocrity with sanctions and penalty's looming large.

Why would Calipari go to Kentucky? They have an unrealistic fan base and had just fired a coach that did his best to submarine the program.

Alabama is to football, what Kentucky is to basketball......Tennessee basketball is not in that conversation.

Not sure how those comparisons match up.

Alabama is to football, what Kentucky is to basketball......Tennessee basketball is not in that conversation.

Not sure how those comparisons match up.

Then why are those two schools paying more than anyone in their respective sport for a coach? If it's that great shouldn't the best coaches be knocking each other over the job and low bidding the others out? Or.....is the high pay a correlation with winning....

Great news for Martin lovers. He breaks the polls for the first time in his career and somehow that becomes an overachiever move since they're picked to finish outside the top 25 before the season starts.

Such a troll it's pathetic. Just the term "Martin lovers" shows you don't like him for unknown reasons.

I'll bet you hated Wade too. Jmo.

Yeah. The paycheck had nothing to do with it...sheeesh

And please quit with calling me stupid. That's twice now.

Of course, money had something to do with it, but Cal wasn't going to stay at Memphis long and Saban wasn't going to stay at Michigan St long. Why? Because neither of those jobs are like the Ky and Bama jobs where you have a lot of built in advantages that other programs don't have. That's pretty damn simple for even a simpleton to figure out.

Also, I called you a fool and then I said you can't fix stupid.

And if the shoe fits...

Bingo. We over paid for a coach rather than pool the money for a homerun.

And just who in the hell do you think was going to come to UT with the NCAA breathing down its neck on the hoops program?

Also, who the hell do you think was going to come to UT with two football coaches leaving after two years and the program a complete dumpster fire? You can't be that slow. Or maybe you can.

UT is now in a much better place to hire a football or hoops coach than it was 3 years ago with the football program and a year and a half ago before the NCAA had given out its punishment.

If Dooley doesn't make it or Martin doesn't make it (and it appears Martin is doing fine on the recruiting front and based on how the team finished) then both UT jobs will be much more attractive the next time they're open. The fact of the matter is that neither job was attractive the last time it was open.

I guess you don't see UT as a "destination" job them.

And remind me of the penalties that Mem received as they closed in on them and Cal.

Uhm no, not when compared to a guy who has done what he has at Michigan State. I'm a vol fan through and through, but if you think the UT BB program is >>>> Mich. St BB program....you need to see your local doctor, it's really not even debatable.

And no penalties came down, but Cal has proved he bolts when NCAA interest starts picking up, did it at UMASS, and same thing at Memphis. It didn't hurt as I said that a top 3 job in the country came available at that time as well...you don't turn down UK for Memphis....once again if you truly believe that, see above recommendation.

VN Store

Back