Vols Switching to Nike?

So DP, what is your "gut feeling" on this? Do you think we make the switch? Would our AD accept less money from Nike and make that switch or do you think Adidas antes up and makes Tennessee an offer they just can't refuse?

So DP, what is your "gut feeling" on this? Do you think we make the switch? Would our AD accept less money from Nike and make that switch or do you think Adidas antes up and makes Tennessee an offer they just can't refuse?

I don't really have a "gut feeling" on this one because the two realities are very different.

I know Adidas can and will pay more. I don't know if an offer has crossed into "can't refuse" territory, because if I'm in charge, the money difference is already in that territory. Our AD could be playing hardball to maximize value from Adidas.

The fact that they have let it go this long and have put out this much chatter on it despite the financial differences tells me that it's a very real possibility that we do make a change.

If we are extending with Adidas, it won't be announced until after signing day. They have strongly hinted to some recruits that we will make a change if that's what they want to hear. I don't read too much into that since Dooley and Pearl were making the same promise to recruits in 2010, when the ink was still wet on our last 5-year extension.

I know some people on here will criticize me for "hedging my bets" on this topic and that's fine. I've spent a lot of time over the years explaining why it is unlikely we would ever change from Adidas. All of those reasons are still in place. But now we have an AD that doesn't necessarily put as much weight on those factors as previous ones did.

The fact that they have let it go this long and have put out this much chatter on it despite the financial differences tells me that it's a very real possibility that we do make a change.

Interesting. So if our relationship with Adidas has been so great over the last few years and they have done such a great job of taking care of us, why this sudden desire to make a change? Where is the pressure coming from to change? Is it coming from Hart himself? Is it CBJ and his staff pushing to change? If so, why? I just find it interesting with as well as everyone claims Adidas treats UT they would even be entertaining the thought of switching.

Interesting. So if our relationship with Adidas has been so great over the last few years and they have done such a great job of taking care of us, why this sudden desire to make a change? Where is the pressure coming from to change? Is it coming from Hart himself? Is it CBJ and his staff pushing to change? If so, why? I just find it interesting with as well as everyone claims Adidas treats UT they would even be entertaining the thought of switching.

Hart has a long relationship with Nike and struck one of the first all-sport deals for any school with them when he was at Florida State. They used this relationship to get a seat at the table.

Any time you have a contract that is as much of a part of your branding as this one is and as much money involved (the single-largest sponsorship of the school), it's important to do your due diligence when it comes up for renewal to make sure you're getting the best deal.

DP...thx for the info u bring. I love reading/learning this side of it. Kinda helps swallow the rest of the stuff talked about around here.

So the Hart connection is the way Nike got SMU to change?? Do u know if SMU left a lot of money on table for the switch??

Personally I'm on the fence with Hart (tittering more towards the not a fan side), but if he leaves as much on the table to make change to Nike because of HIS relationship with them I will definitely not be a fan of his. Changing the relationship we've had with them for SO long for his personal gain is not imo in the best interest of the UT. My 2 cents...

Thanks again.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

DP...thx for the info u bring. I love reading/learning this side of it. Kinda helps swallow the rest of the stuff talked about around here.

So the Hart connection is the way Nike got SMU to change?? Do u know if SMU left a lot of money on table for the switch??

SMU is only sponsored for football and men's basketball, they buy the rest of their gear from Nike. Basically the same relationship they had with Adidas.

Their deal with Adidas was up and they moved to Nike a year before Hart's son became AD there so there's no connection.

SMU is only sponsored for football and men's basketball, they buy the rest of their gear from Nike. Basically the same relationship they had with Adidas.

Their deal with Adidas was up and they moved to Nike a year before Hart's son became AD there so there's no connection.

oh ok. Thanks DP.

UA would be my top choice as well. If you look at the cut/design of other under armour unis, they make a better fitting uni. Still Nike would be better than sorry Adidas.

I think the players should vote after trying each companies cleats. If the are comfortable in their shoes it can only help performance. Imo

UA would be my top choice as well. If you look at the cut/design of other under armour unis, they make a better fitting uni. Still Nike would be better than sorry Adidas.

Under Armour does not have the contacts in AAU teams and camps that Nike and Adidas do. They didn't have a serious seat at the table.

The Under Armour football uniforms are manufactured by Ripon, the same company that manufactures football uniforms for Adidas.

Reactions: 1 person
Well I've been fine with Adidas but IF a change is coming and it's inevitable I'd prefer it to be Nike. They are the highest profile and let's face it, most recruits DO prefer it. I also like their street apparel better.

Under Armour does not have the contacts in AAU teams and camps that Nike and Adidas do. They didn't have a serious seat at the table.

The Under Armour football uniforms are manufactured by Ripon, the same company that manufactures football uniforms for Adidas.

Thx once again for your quality info DP. I wasn't claiming that UA unis are better quality stitching. Rather simply, that the design/fit offered by UA is aesthetically appealing as opposed to Adidas. Are the specs for design/style/fit of unis not submitted to the stitching company by UA, Adidas, etc? The auburn unis for example have a distinctly different fit than Adidas. Auburns uni is a relatively traditional design like UT but the seams frame the athletes' body better than those of Adidas). Any clarification you can provide DP, it would be greatly appreciated. Lastly, I realize that UA is off the grid for us, but I feel that Nike, like UA is better in this regard than Adidas. IMO

Under Armour.

They just got Notre Dame from Adidas, so it's not impossible they could do the same with us.

Anything but Adidas..

Well I've been fine with Adidas but IF a change is coming and it's inevitable I'd prefer it to be Nike. They are the highest profile and let's face it, most recruits DO prefer it. I also like their street apparel better.

Reading comprehension, anyone??? Take a good look at this that I'm about to quote. Read it, understand it. Nike's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN anytime soon. Can we PLEASE, for the love of all f*****g things holy, drop the subject??

DeerPark12 said:
It's public record, anybody can request the terms. The current contract is worth approximately $3.75 million per year in cash and product, which is considerably richer than most of the deals that Nike has with schools. Only North Carolina, Ohio State and Alabama have contracts worth more in money and product with Nike than Tennessee's with Adidas. When signed in 2010, the deal was third most valuable in the country behind Notre Dame and UCLA.

I would say that Notre Dame's situation, while not a surprise to Adidas, makes it more likely that we extend with them. Nike made a strong push for ND, but were unwilling to make them the commitment to make Notre Dame their richest school. Under Armour was willing to d that. It's an ego thing with them and they found a partner willing to stroke that ego. They weren't coming back to Adidas after Adidas gave Michigan the deal they did.

Now, Adidas, a company that has only ever lost a top-tier school once before (Arkansas) is faced with possibly losing two of the first three schools they had in their portfolio when they got into the team sports business in the 1990s. I don't think they're going to sit back and let that happen.

If Tennessee makes a change, they will have to take less money to do so. Probably significantly less. Is it possible that they make a change? Yes. Very possible. It comes down to whether Dave Hart is willing to take $1 million less per year for the sake of change. I don't think that's a responsible stance to take when our budget situation is what it is. Bobby Petrino bullied Jeff Long into dumping Adidas at Arkansas. They got $1.7 million less per year from Nike than Adidas had offered.

Before somebody brings it up, I've seen the "fans will buy enough Nike gear to make up for it." No. No they will not. UT gets a very small percentage of the revenue from selling these items. Less than five percent per item. Less on some items. To make up a million dollar difference, UT would have to sell more licensed products just from Nike than any school sold last year. That's not going to happen.

So, do I think Tennessee will ultimately change? I doubt it. But the administration was and still is very interested in evaluating all of their options and getting the best deal. If they truly feel that it is worth taking $1 million a year less to make a change, then they will do it.

Reactions: 2 people
Reading comprehension, anyone??? Take a good look at this that I'm about to quote. Read it, understand it. Nike's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN anytime soon. Can we PLEASE, for the love of all f*****g things holy, drop the subject??

I think you should heed your own advice smart ass!

I don't really have a "gut feeling" on this one because the two realities are very different.

I know Adidas can and will pay more. I don't know if an offer has crossed into "can't refuse" territory, because if I'm in charge, the money difference is already in that territory. Our AD could be playing hardball to maximize value from Adidas.

If we are extending with Adidas, it won't be announced until after signing day. They have strongly hinted to some recruits that we will make a change if that's what they want to hear. I don't read too much into that since Dooley and Pearl were making the same promise to recruits in 2010, when the ink was still wet on our last 5-year extension.

I know some people on here will criticize me for "hedging my bets" on this topic and that's fine. I've spent a lot of time over the years explaining why it is unlikely we would ever change from Adidas. All of those reasons are still in place. But now we have an AD that doesn't necessarily put as much weight on those factors as previous ones did.

Just so you know, you're not required to participate in this thread. You know, the click to enter thread, then the subsequent reading of all of our posts, you don't HAVE to do that. It is an option to not participate. Anyway, I'll not stoop any lower with you. Good riddance on on your trip to the ignore list.

There is no way the Vols take less money to switch to Nike. If Adidas is paying the most then it's a clearly a very simple decision.

VN Store

Back