Vols Practice Thread #6

JG may be the guy. He has the most physical talent. But Simonton almost seems to have an agenda in his reporting of the QB race. On days when everyone else says both did things well... he shades to JG.

And all of that is based on routes on air and the portions of practice they're allowed to see.

For some reason, we aren't getting as many hints about the closed portions as we did with Jones. I am most interested in who is running with the 1's.

You sure it’s Simonton with the agenda?

JG showed good leadership last year through a lot of adversity (outside of the GT game which was a good learning experience). It appears he has been grinding off season with team. I hope he can string together more good practices and take control of this team.

I want the best QB to play but I'm rooting for JG. I hope the only value that Chryst has to add is heating up the QB competition thought the first half of camp.

I definitely think JG has the toughness and the tools. If the game can just slow down for him. He had too many plays where he looked like deer in headlights last year...of course, easy for me to say when he had 1.5 seconds to get rid of the ball with 320 lb DT in his grill immediately after the snap.

As much as I love these threads... there just isn't much there this year.

You can't tell much from 9 minutes of individual drills, and I don't trust the Knoxville media to get any actual insight in that time, aside from seeing the order of the reps.

If I remember right, Butch allowed the media to view team drills, they just couldn't record it, correct?

I like the progression I see in these threads. It seems like the quarterback position is going to be settled pretty quickly. I think it is a good idea to keep the media out of the practices. That eliminates one distraction. I hate not seeing more because I want to know everything that is going on. I just hope the guys put a product on the field that we can get behind and can be built upon. Who knows we may be better that anyone thinks! I hope so!

Reactions: 66volfan
JG may be the guy. He has the most physical talent. But Simonton almost seems to have an agenda in his reporting of the QB race. On days when everyone else says both did things well... he shades to JG.

And all of that is based on routes on air and the portions of practice they're allowed to see.

For some reason, we aren't getting as many hints about the closed portions as we did with Jones. I am most interested in who is running with the 1's.
For some reason? Probably because this staff doesn't care about gaining points with anyone outside the circle of this football team. Shows focus, IMO.

what I liked was that the coaches were getting on to people for loafing an making them redo bad reps. That is coaching and makes the team understand that if you loaf you lose.
I honestly wouldn't put that much stock into it until the game gets here. These media guys will be focused on that to sell the new program after the offseason echo chamber of the last staff not doing a good job of coaching. It was obvious that the last staff had problems with that very early on, but I bet none of these guys reported on that until Butch started collecting severance pay.

EDIT: That's not to say this staff isn't doing a much better job of coaching but I'm pretty skeptical of the beat writers after hearing guys like Brice and Hubbs swoon in preseason for the last 5-10 years. IMO the most valuable takeaways in camp are what players are getting the most reps and what guys are limiting the bad reps.

Last edited:
I like the progression I see in these threads. It seems like the quarterback position is going to be settled pretty quickly. I think it is a good idea to keep the media out of the practices. That eliminates one distraction. I hate not seeing more because I want to know everything that is going on. I just hope the guys put a product on the field that we can get behind and can be built upon. Who knows we may be better that anyone thinks! I hope so!

The one thing I'm positive about is that the product on the field will be one we can get behind and build on! Go Vols!

...the most notable thing we saw is Trey Smith going through a couple of individual drills with the offensive line. One time he about threw the medicine ball/blocking pad out of Ryan Johnson's hands and and the next time he nearly knocked Jahmir Johnson on his backside. Chance Hall also was going through individual drills and continues to work at right tackle.

^This makes me all Tingly inside!!! :cool:

I definitely think JG has the toughness and the tools. If the game can just slow down for him. He had too many plays where he looked like deer in headlights last year...of course, easy for me to say when he had 1.5 seconds to get rid of the ball with 320 lb DT in his grill immediately after the snap.
Well said. I would have like to have seen Worley in this offense for the same reason.

I'm impressed with where this young mans head is at. He goes to school, plays football and works at Champs in the evening.

He also works a second job at a horse farm. When Eli got that scholly awarded last year, i really wished it had gone to Bain instead.

Wish they could free one up for the big guy.

it's just hard to get a real gauge from the open session with the media. there's some positives to draw from. i am getting a little tired of hearing WR's dropping balls.

anxious to hear about the scrimmage Sunday.

best news so far, no injuries.

thanks Fingers.

The most notable sight from Tennessee's practice was star offensive lineman Trey Smith wearing full pads and going through some light contact work during positional drills. ... On one rep he nearly jarred the medicine ball-like blocking bag out of Ryan Johnson's hands, and later he nearly knocked junior college transfer tackle Jahmir Johnson onto his backside, such was the ferocity of Smith's rep.

This is what the other players need to see. A gold standard of bad intentions and dominance. If they can match up, they'll be ready for anyone.

I haven't seen a black stripe on any of the helmets in these practice films. I haven't heard mention of a black stripe either.It appears to be a thing of the past maybe.

I believe thatRDU was just making a funny
And yes,the black stripe thing is history along wit many other Butchgimmicks

In reading all the press reports on here, one thing stands out to me; the coaches make the players repeat drills if their technique isn't right, and they take them to task if they give less than all out effort. Real coaching for a change, along with a different attitude, this team could surprise some people.

Reactions: FïreBall
I believe thatRDU was just making a funny
And yes,the black stripe thing is history along wit many other Butchgimmicks
With Urban suspended, I wonder if they’re doing them in Columbus?

VN Store

Back