Vols "building a bully" on offensive line

With Hurd leaving that will take a lot of the predictability out of our offense.

New QB and new OC will help too.

I still expect us to script a few series for each game.

It's hard to block for a play when the defense knows what's coming.

It would be nice, if we are gonna run the read option, we allow our QB to make the read, rather than testing the waters until we are down 3+ scores.

With Hurd leaving that will take a lot of the predictability out of our offense.

New QB and new OC will help too.

I still expect us to script a few series for each game.

It's hard to block for a play when the defense knows what's coming.

It would be nice, if we are gonna run the read option, we allow our QB to make the read, rather than testing the waters until we are down 3+ scores.

:thumbsup: it all can't be window dressing. agreed.

You recruit bullies, you rarely create them. Hopefully Wells can recruit some angry Olinemen, the Hogs of Knoxville.

Last edited:
It wasn't just the Ap State game. That line struggled against Ohio, USCe, and the 2nd half against Vandy. You can make all the excuses that you want but our backups are more decorated than those team's starters. Again, until I see the line pushing teams around of that caliber, then the words are just a bunch of hot air.

The same line excelled against VaTech, FL, GA, A&M, KY, MIzzou and Neb.. You referenced the Appy St game and I simply pointed out that the line that starts against GaTech will be far superior to that of the one who started against Appy St.
They played well when healthy. Our backups last year were mostly freshmen and red shirt freshmen who really have no business playing. Teams playing young guys on the oline will always struggle.

Sorry. Can't buy that excuse this time. Though Dooley's o-lines had their share of issues run blocking, they were far and away better at protecting the QB. Butch's lines have been pretty poor at both.

That being said, I do have hope that Wells can bring a much needed attitude change to the group. The talent is there. It's just a matter of the right coach teaching them how to use it.

PS. Enjoyed the links as always. Keep them coming.

Not an excuse. It is a fact. We should have had 2 or 3 red shirt senior linemen on the 2016 team, but we did not because Dooley did not recruit a single lineman his last year and the linemen he was recruiting for the next year were not SEC linemen for the most part.
CBJ missed on Blair, Mosely, and Raulerson. In the SEC, you can't afford to miss on olinemen.
Dooley's linemen did protect QB because that was all they did. They did not have to even consider run blocking.

Last edited:
Not an excuse. It is a fact. We should have had 2 or 3 red shirt senior linemen on the 2016 team, but we did not because Dooley did not recruit a single lineman his last year and the linemen he was recruiting for the next year were not SEC linemen for the most part.
CBJ missed on Blair, Mosely, and Raulerson. In the SEC, you can't afford to miss on olinemen.
Dooley's linemen did protect QB because that was all they did. They did not have to even consider run blocking.

not a lot to argue with here.

The same line excelled against VaTech, FL, GA, A&M, KY, MIzzou and Neb.. You referenced the Appy St game and I simply pointed out that the line that starts against GaTech will be far superior to that of the one who started against Appy St.
They played well when healthy. Our backups last year were mostly freshmen and red shirt freshmen who really have no business playing. Teams playing young guys on the oline will always struggle.

You also have to consider that in every game, the Oline's stats were buffered by Josh Dobbs' ability to scramble out of busted plays, and avoid the sack. Put nearly anyone else, even other good running QBs behind the 2015 or 2015 Oline, and that QB would be lucky to survive the season.

It's why promoting an unproven Walt Wells to Oline coach after firing arguably, one of the worst Oline coaches in all of college football, has some people worried about 2017.

You also have to consider that in every game, the Oline's stats were buffered by Josh Dobbs' ability to scramble out of busted plays, and avoid the sack. Put nearly anyone else, even other good running QBs behind the 2015 or 2015 Oline, and that QB would be lucky to survive the season.

It's why promoting an unproven Walt Wells to Oline coach after firing arguably, one of the worst Oline coaches in all of college football, has some people worried about 2017.

no where to go...but up?

I tend to want to follow the pittsburgh steeler team building philosophy. Build your offensive line first. A left tackle that has good footwork, good hands, and athletic...your two best pure blockers at guard....a center who thinks and takes charge.....and a right tackle who is just plain mean, strong as a bull and would just as soon fight as eat. Get those guys to work as a 5 man unit it's solid.

Reactions: 1 person
When Knoxville buffets are losing money during the offseason that translates to Ws during the fall. Here's hoping we will have the biggest, baddest, meanest, and ugliest meat shield in all of CFB in 2017

Reactions: 2 people
The Oline played very well during the first series, but seem to breakdown later in the game. I don’t know if it was the plays which were called or the defenses which were called. It seemed that QD had much better protection than the other QBs. However, no one can be better than 10 out of ten and 2 TDs. If he can complete 70% of his passes, we could have a very good season. I still think JG will continue to make a race for the playing time. Experience is need in every position.

Why will they be "far superior"? I sincerely hope they will be, hope Richmond improves, somebody beats Thomas out at center and that Smith can contribute as a true frosh. But until they show it, can't just assume they'll be "far superior". I honestly thought 2016's OL would be much better than the previous two years and it was anything but.

Also, I don't know anybody who thinks last year's line excelled vs much of anybody. Most (rightly imo) think the same team that got pushed around by App State got bailed out time and time again by the best scrambling/running qb in the country and school history.

They need to be light years better this year than last with no Dobbs.....and while there's both talent and experience at the position, promoting a QC guy who was on the staff last year doesn't inspire a ton of confidence imo. We're in wait and see mode with regards to virtually every position on the field imo and OL is no different.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Barring major injuries the line that starts this year will be far superior to last year's line that played Appy State. Thomas played hurt. Hall was hurt and did not play. Richmond with his first start. Kendrick playing out of position all year.
You can say it is just talk, but this will be a deeper, more talented and more experienced line. Should be the best CBJ has had since he has been here.
I do know his first line was talented, but they had also been poisoned by a poor organizational structure by the previous staff and under performed on the field during CBJ's first year. Several of those linemen have had good pro careers, but for the most part they have not been dominate run blockers.

Agree, our 2013 o-line had serious talent but not much depth. This season should be our best o-line in quite a while, and should be one of the few significant upgrades for 2017 over 2016. We have quality and quantity.

Why will they be "far superior"? I sincerely hope they will be, hope Richmond improves, somebody beats Thomas out at center and that Smith can contribute as a true frosh. But until they show it, can't just assume they'll be "far superior". I honestly thought 2016's OL would be much better than the previous two years and it was anything but.

Also, I don't know anybody who thinks last year's line excelled vs much of anybody. Most (rightly imo) think the same team that got pushed around by App State got bailed out time and time again by the best scrambling/running qb in the country and school history.

They need to be light years better this year than last with no Dobbs.....and while there's both talent and experience at the position, promoting a QC guy who was on the staff last year doesn't inspire a ton of confidence imo. We're in wait and see mode with regards to virtually every position on the field imo and OL is no different.

I have to totally agree with KB and this post. Team 119 had several decent games and they had their issues but were improving and held promise. Even Bama players, press, and fans were complimentary of how physical they were that season. It was one of the reasons so many of us thought 120 would be a big time team. Far from it, team 120 OL started the season soft and passive and played that way throughout IMO, frankly they should be embarrassed for their 2016 performance. I was close to singling out players and every position deserved very scathing critiques of will leave that alone for now. I will wait to see what OL shows up for team 121 before deciding what our success or lack thereof will be.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back