Vols "building a bully" on offensive line

giphy.gif

yellow eyes so help me God

Reactions: 2 people
Until I see it on the field, it's just talk. This is still mostly the same OL that Ap State and their 235 lb DEs bullied and bull rushed last year.

Didn't say otherwise...just doesn't mean it has to stay that way

Odds are high it will. People thinking Butch is going to deliver something different are going to be disappointed, I believe. It is the rare individual that can reinvent himself.

Odds are high it will. People thinking Butch is going to deliver something different are going to be disappointed, I believe. It is the rare individual that can reinvent himself.

It does happen. Though down to brass tacks, I'm also not 100% convinced either.

Just have to take it for what it is in April.... with this new staff.... that we all agreed needed some turnover.

Until I see it on the field, it's just talk. This is still mostly the same OL that Ap State and their 235 lb DEs bullied and bull rushed last year.

Barring major injuries the line that starts this year will be far superior to last year's line that played Appy State. Thomas played hurt. Hall was hurt and did not play. Richmond with his first start. Kendrick playing out of position all year.
You can say it is just talk, but this will be a deeper, more talented and more experienced line. Should be the best CBJ has had since he has been here.
I do know his first line was talented, but they had also been poisoned by a poor organizational structure by the previous staff and under performed on the field during CBJ's first year. Several of those linemen have had good pro careers, but for the most part they have not been dominate run blockers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

Not reinventing HIMSELF...just how he coaches. :)

I'll believe it when I start seeing 3-4 defensive LBs getting blown up, pancaked, and leaving the game for dental work. As long as 250/260 lb LBs can hang with and push our OLs around, they ain't bullying or fooling anbody.

Reactions: 1 person
CBJ's whole offensive philosophy is based on smash mouth football. Poor recruiting of olinemen by Dooley and 4 oline misses by Butch and staff have hampered our offense, but we have had a strong running game the past two years and it should only improve in 2017.

For more on CBJ's offense, you should read:

https://thefootballconcepts.com/

and pick up:

https://www.amazon.com/Fast-Furious...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1459343175&sr=1-1
Sorry. Can't buy that excuse this time. Though Dooley's o-lines had their share of issues run blocking, they were far and away better at protecting the QB. Butch's lines have been pretty poor at both.

That being said, I do have hope that Wells can bring a much needed attitude change to the group. The talent is there. It's just a matter of the right coach teaching them how to use it.

PS. Enjoyed the links as always. Keep them coming.

Barring major injuries the line that starts this year will be far superior to last year's line that played Appy State. Thomas played hurt. Hall was hurt and did not play. Richmond with his first start. Kendrick playing out of position all year.
You can say it is just talk, but this will be a deeper, more talented and more experienced line. Should be the best CBJ has had since he has been here.
I do know his first line was talented, but they had also been poisoned by a poor organizational structure by the previous staff and under performed on the field during CBJ's first year. Several of those linemen have had good pro careers, but for the most part they have not been dominate run blockers.

It wasn't just the Ap State game. That line struggled against Ohio, USCe, and the 2nd half against Vandy. You can make all the excuses that you want but our backups are more decorated than those team's starters. Again, until I see the line pushing teams around of that caliber, then the words are just a bunch of hot air.

Some jaded peeps up in here. Sheesh. Though, some of you would pick out the negatives even if we go 15-0. It would still be "Butch got lucky, he's still a mid major coach." and "If it weren't for x-y-z, we'd be 6-6." Believe it.

VN Store

Back